Key question about boarding times

jean87510

For cruising this might be one of the worst casualties, enforcing boarding times or port arrival times. I mean we would do our online check in the minute it came available to do 90 days before the cruise and we still would only get an arrival time of 12-1 or something like that. We would ignore and get there at 10AM but looks like you won't be able to do that anymore.
Now, we sail out of Cape Liberty, really only because I have a serious fear of flying, like crippling fear of flying. If we were to drive I would still get there early to park in the parking deck and then wait till close to our time. I don't think we will be driving and parking at Cape Liberty though anymore because I think the price went up to 25 bucks a day from 20. We can always be dropped off by a friend or family member.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, twangster said:

I'm probably going to sit out the first cruises of the restart so I'll have time to see how it goes. 

Best case scenario is a timely transfer from home or hotel to the ship to minimize opportunity for exposure.  Forcing people to wait in public places like hotel lobbies, airport baggage areas or shopping malls increases the opportunity for exposure and infection.  

It may not be a choice. Maybe it takes more time to sanitize between cruises? I doubt rcl is moving boarding later just to expose people. 

We all want on early lol. I feel like my life went into slow motion from this pandemic. Lots of things take longer, I got a list. I ordered some quilting stuff never seeing anything saying shipping from china. It was for my moms birthday in may, came last week ... though not being able to cruise way up there on my list of stuff delayed. 

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

It may not be a choice. Maybe it takes more time to sanitize between cruises? I doubt rcl is moving boarding later just to expose people. 

We all want on early lol. 

It really only impacts folks that aren't local.  I used to cruise with some FL regulars who were never in a rush to board early, they'd show up mid-afternoon once the peak was done, taking time to relax in their living room before leaving for the ship.

They should think beyond the confines of the ship and terminal.  Their plan of action can create additional risks.  They need to think out of the cruise box.

If they really wanted to minimize risk and maximize sanitization they wouldn't turn the ship on the same day.  Let people off normally or stagger that a bit more to aid social distancing, then take the rest of the day to slowly re-supply the ship and slowly sanitize the ship with no guests on board.  Cruise arrives back to port later in the day such as 2pm instead of 6am, debarks between 3pm and 8pm then the next morning start boarding new guests at 8am through 4pm spreading out check in over the day.  That minimizes crew exposure during re-supply and it minimizes guest exposure pre-cruise. 

One less "night" on board and that messes with the revenue and sales models, plus it messes with crew schedules so it will never happen but it is the safest approach to prevent the virus from coming on board.