P&O suite vs Grills Vs Seaborne

Windsurfboy

On 9/9/2020 at 6:31 PM, Halfmoonfan said:

We have faced the same choice and went with Seabourn. The Grill cabins and dining are very good,  the Queen’s Grill may be the best restaurant at sea. But the minute you step out of them, you are on a standard cruise line (first world problems).  However, on Seaborne, the whole day, and everywhere you go, you are on a first-class line.  I am sure others will disagree.

Actually here is someone who does agree with you.  I do love the QM2 and we usually travel in PG when on the QM2, but we vastly prefer the Seabourn experience because, as you indicate, the whole ship is a step up, not just when you are in the Grill.  But we will run back to the QM2 as soon as we can.  No experience with P & O, although we have been warned by an ex-captain from P & O to avoid the line completely.  Am I a snob?

On 9/9/2020 at 6:31 PM, Halfmoonfan said:

We have faced the same choice and went with Seabourn. The Grill cabins and dining are very good,  the Queen’s Grill may be the best restaurant at sea. But the minute you step out of them, you are on a standard cruise line (first world problems).  However, on Seaborne, the whole day, and everywhere you go, you are on a first-class line.  I am sure others will disagree.

Oh and here's another thought...Usually a Verandah on Seabourn costs less per person per day than PG on Cunard.  And the suite size and features are comparable (maybe better?) than PG on the Victoria or Elizabeth.

16 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Thought I'd update you and perhaps surprise you with the conclusion  of my search for a 2022 cruise to complement  Cunard ended up somewhere I never thought of.

Still have Q.V. booked for  2022 coming back from Capetown.  Still want to leave time in 2022 to go to see grandchildren in Australia later in year, so that left,  late May, June  and July. We want sun but not a fly cruise. 

After reading SolentRichard's, excellent blog about the new Saga spirit of discovery,  and seeing a very interesting intinerary chose a black sea cruise out of Southampton. Some very interesting ports in the Med and Black sea.

Saga has repositioned upmarket, new ships new positioning, new (higher) price point,  starts 20% above Brittania club,  through to 20% QG but more included. They are all balcony smallish ships , 58000 tons only 1000 passengers (actually 999 so it can be called  small ship), space ratio 58 compared to 34 for  QE/V, and   44 for QM, nearer to Seaborn's 64. Cabins are a bit bigger than Brittania club through to QG. One sitting for meals, same table every night if you want it.

Thinking about the class debates on Cunard forum , there is a much smaller spread of cabins sizes and prices on Saga, price range 2 to 1 c.f cunard range 4 to1 . All dinning rooms open to everyone. Not as formal as Cunard on normal nights , no jacket , but proper shirts required, however 2 or more formal nights a week with very high compliance .

My plan is to keep Cunard as a core, but explore new lines. Long way to go to catch up with SolentRichard

Berlitz gives 41 - 44 for PSR for the Vistas. Admittedly I don't have the latest edition, but it seems unlikely it has decreased so much.

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Berlitz gives 41 - 44 for PSR for the Vistas. Admittedly I don't have the latest edition, but it seems unlikely it has decreased so much.

just looked it up on wiki as well , you're right, the orginal website I used cruisedeckplans  must be wrong. 90000 tons  and 2080 passengers is per of 43

Just had another look to solve mystery of the two different space ratios,  higher one 43  is based on normal capacity of 2080 (2 passengers cabin) lower one based on theoretical maximum passengers of 2500  presumably when every sofa bed etc is being used,  which I doubt happens.

There is a big difference between the space ratio at nominal capacity , ie 2 passengers  per normal cabin 2080 passengers which for QE/V is a  PSR of 43 , defined as spacious.  Compared to at maximum capacity 2547 passengers, using upper berths , sofa beds etc a  PSR of 36 , defined as average.  

This confirms my view don't cruise during school holidays when all beds will be used, 

• Like 1