Cigar factory

amyj726

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...
13 hours ago, Momma Rene said:

Celebrity is doing a tour there "Traditions & Flavors" which does the cigars, fum and chocolate.  Has anyone done that?

I just did this last week, highly recommended. One if the best ship sponsored tours I’ve ever taken.

Transpo around the city was a big Greyhound type bus, air conditioned and equipped with  Wifi. It also included lunch at a family owned home, and a visit to a charming 80 something artist’s home and studio. The guide was so knowledgeable and proud of his country. I learned a lot, along with having a fun day.

The cigar part is actually a cigar club downtown, you go through the main club to a back room where there is a very informative presentation and demo.  You can roll and keep your own cigar, if you want. 

It’s a long day, and includes a good bit of walking, so wear comfy shoes. 

Side note, the port complex looks quite nice, would definitely like to come back and explore that as well as more of the island. 

I’ll answer any questions I can. 

1 hour ago, EatonDoolittle said:

I just did this last week, highly recommended. One if the best ship sponsored tours I’ve ever taken.

Transpo around the city was a big Greyhound type bus, air conditioned and equipped with  Wifi. It also included lunch at a family owned home, and a visit to a charming 80 something artist’s home and studio. The guide was so knowledgeable and proud of his country. I learned a lot, along with having a fun day.

The cigar part is actually a cigar club downtown, you go through the main club to a back room where there is a very informative presentation and demo.  You can roll and keep your own cigar, if you want. 

It’s a long day, and includes a good bit of walking, so wear comfy shoes. 

Side note, the port complex looks quite nice, would definitely like to come back and explore that as well as more of the island. 

I’ll answer any questions I can. 

You mentioned a lot of walking.  Would you say that it was over a mile?  Do you remember what the lunch might have been?  How was the rum tasting?  Thanks for your information.  We are trying to be safe during this trip due to Covid.  

The walking is in bits and pieces. For example, the big bus can only get so close the central plaza, so you get  off and walk just a few blocks. There are about 6 stairs each time in and out of the bus. 

Certainly not a long trek. Actually, the longest walk all at once is actually from the ship to the port complex. They do have a fleet of 3 wheeled golf carts that go back and forth all day. 

We were masked on the bus and inside anywhere we went. The guide made a point of mentioning that 70% of residents are fully vaccinated, and told us the very low number of cases. Hand sanitizer squirted EVERY time we got on the bus. I felt as safe as possible, Covid wise. 
Celebrity lifted the mask requirement this cruise (Feb 14) , but every island we went to required them if inside. 

Lunch was the typical chicken and rice, lots of salads. Nicely done, in house. It’s in a beautiful garden setting. 

Rum factory was fun, there were about 8 different types to taste. I stopped at 3. A few took full advantage. 

7 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

The walking is in bits and pieces. For example, the big bus can only get so close the central plaza, so you get  off and walk just a few blocks. There are about 6 stairs each time in and out of the bus. 

Certainly not a long trek. Actually, the longest walk all at once is actually from the ship to the port complex. They do have a fleet of 3 wheeled golf carts that go back and forth all day. 

We were masked on the bus and inside anywhere we went. The guide made a point of mentioning that 70% of residents are fully vaccinated, and told us the very low number of cases. Hand sanitizer squirted EVERY time we got on the bus. I felt as safe as possible, Covid wise. 
Celebrity lifted the mask requirement this cruise (Feb 14) , but every island we went to required them if inside. 

Lunch was the typical chicken and rice, lots of salads. Nicely done, in house. It’s in a beautiful garden setting. 

Rum factory was fun, there were about 8 different types to taste. I stopped at 3. A few took full advantage. 

Thanks so much for your information!  It certainly sounds like something we would like to do.  One of our favorite Caribbean tours took us to a home where we learned how to make their traditional fare.  It was lovely.  Nice to know the bus is air conditioned.  Yes, I'll stop at 3 on the rum as well!