OBC Question

waspin247

I had a cruise booked on the Breeze for January 2021 that was supposed to leave from Fort Lauderdale. In early July, Carnival cancelled the cruise and offered 100% refund or 100% future cruise credit and $600 on board credit. This credit could be used for sailings leaving before 4/30/23 as long as booked by 5/31/21. We decided to take the FCC and OBC. We then foolishly used that to book a different January 2021 cruise. We were excited to have the OBC and at the time weren’t too worried about the status of the cruise. Now fast forward to Today and my group wants to cancel the cruise. Would we lose our $600 OBC or would we still be able to use that on a future cruise as long as booked by 5/31/21. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You lose it :(

been there done that

maybe wait and see if January 2021 gets canc and see if reoffered. 

also if you rebooked early saver you will have to talk to someone to move to a later date so you dont lose deposit.

Edited by firefly333

You lose it :(
been there done that

also if you rebooked early saver you will have to talk to someone to move to a later date so you dont lose deposit.

I would definitely like to wait and see if they cancel it. Unfortunately right now final payment is due next week. May try to see if I can extend final payment, just to give more time.

I would definitely like to wait and see if they cancel it. Unfortunately right now final payment is due next week. May try to see if I can extend final payment, just to give more time.

You will have to wait for Carnival to cancel it, if you want to carry forward the 600 gifted OBC to a future Cruise.
if you cancel the cruise, not only will you lose the 600 gifted OBC, but you may also lose your deposit.

if Carnival has to cancel the cruise, they will do it only after receiving everyone's final payment.

so I I think you should make the final payment and then wait for Carnival to cancel it, unless it is impossible for you to go on the Cruise, should Carnival not cancel it.

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

You lose it 😞

been there done that

I beg to differ with you. We had booked the Mardi Gras which was cancelled. Rebooked the Horizon which was cancelled. Rebooked the Breeze, then decided to switch back to  booking the Horizon. All our payments and credits were switched to each date without penalty. Call whom ever you booked with and discuss your situation.

Edited by skrufy
Correction
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, skrufy said:

I beg to differ with you. We had booked the Mardi Gras which was cancelled. Rebooked the Horizon which was cancelled. Rebooked the Breeze, then decided to switch back to  booking the Horizon. All our payments and credits were switched to each date without penalty. Call whom ever you booked with and discuss your situation.

Some cases thru the end of sept you were allowed to move without penalty.. sure try, maybe he can move including rebooking obc, but I've heard they cut that off.

If someone has been allowed to move since the end of sept including rebooking obc. Please post. Would be interested. 

Mine was canc and still lost 50 in the switch of obc

49 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Some cases thru the end of sept you were allowed to move without penalty.. sure try, maybe he can move including rebooking obc, but I've heard they cut that off.

If someone has been allowed to move since the end of sept including rebooking obc. Please post. Would be interested. 

Mine was canc and still lost 50 in the switch of obc

That’s certainly a possibility. Have not heard of any changes in policy.  Sorry to hear you lost some a OBC.

26 minutes ago, skrufy said:

That’s certainly a possibility. Have not heard of any changes in policy.  Sorry to hear you lost some a OBC.

Far as I can tell the policy where many were able to move without policy was unwritten. Depended on who answered the phone. Hang up if they say no and call back.

If someone was able to move recently let us know.

Rcl just finally came out and said canc thru nov.

Last night finally on carnival site Nov is now grayed out. Unofficially all nov cancelled? Once its grayed out imo canc.

5 hours ago, waspin247 said:

I did the same thing. I had a September Med booked which was canceled, booked a September US because.. well it was April this won't go on that long!! When that was canceled we moved to December thinking.. it won't go on that long!! 

Well right now the December is still sailing that we had booked as it was from Miami. Final payment was coming up though.. and I was frustrated and wasn't interested in Carnival only excursions (MSC had just started this so I figured it would be a given) so I wanted to move it again. 

We were told that the FCC can be moved around as long as it was before the expiration date, and my TA actually doesn't call Carnival, he emails someone there about everything so he gets everything in writing. So as it stands, according to what Carnival said, we have until December 31st and we can still move the booking if we want to. I mean.. if Carnival isn't sailing by January 2023... at this point I will just call it all a wash!! 

This was before final payment though, so it might change after that.  We DID keep our $600 OBC though in the transfer. I would def call Carnival and see though before final payment, with a cruise you have picked out before hand to be on the safe side. Also keep in mind that my case isn't a deposit move. It was a paid in full 7 day cruise, going to a 3x more expensive 14 day cruise, so it could even have been they didn't want to refund the original amount and hang onto their $2500 loan. 

waspin- I did the exact same thing. We were booked on the Breeze out of Ft. Lauderdale. When it was cancelled, we took the $600 onboard credit option,  and booked her out of Port Canaveral. I am still pretty confused, but asked our cruise planner to delay the final payment date until November.  I am going to talk to her again this week and hope to make more sense of it.  (In the deal of taking the $600 onboard credit, I believe that your original deposit can no longer be a cash refund, only an OBC).

IDK, everything is so vague...

Kathy

waspin- I did the exact same thing. We were booked on the Breeze out of Ft. Lauderdale. When it was cancelled, we took the $600 onboard credit option,  and booked her out of Port Canaveral. I am still pretty confused, but asked our cruise planner to delay the final payment date until November.  I am going to talk to her again this week and hope to make more sense of it.  (In the deal of taking the $600 onboard credit, I believe that your original deposit can no longer be a cash refund, only an OBC).
Kathy
Yes, once you accept the 600 OBC, any cash refund is ruled out

Kathy

Yes that’s the exact scenario that we did as well. Really still can’t decide what to do. Part of the issue is we still really have no idea what a cruise will even look like. Will they still offer childcare like usual? Masks required even outside by the pool? Food options? Can’t get off the boat unless booked on a carnival excursion? Would make me sad to cancel and lose the OBC but really hard to commit to a final payment with so many unknowns

Your guesses sound like they would be correct. However, I don’t know that. I’m just thinking that is what it would look like. They will probably have childcare, with masks and only so many children at a time. I’m fairly sure that they are only allowing you off the ship with carnival excursions. Last time I talked to my cruise planner I think she said that if I cancel this cruise And book a future one at the exact same time of this cancellation, that they would transfer the $600 shipboard credit. However, she told me so many things that I am not even sure that that’s what she said.

I also believe that she said she could push final payment out until November. Still we keep getting notices from Carnival that our final payment is due.

I wanted to give everyone an update on this situation. I called this afternoon and cancelled my booking. The agent allowed me to keep all of my FCC and OBC from the original cancelled booking. It all went back to my original booking number and now I have until May 2021 to book something. Basically what it would have been when they originally cancelled. Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2020 at 12:08 PM, firefly333 said:

You lose it 😞

been there done that

Good advice