The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

18 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

The Renaissance well was constructed by craftsmen from Strasbourg. 🙂

They did a beautiful job! Love the detailed carvings. Some of them look like zodiac signs but it's hard to tell for sure.

It's the six-buckets-fountain (Der Sechs-Eimer-Brunnen) in Obernai, France. Southwest of Strasbourg.

I am going to work shortly so I'm glad Daisi beat me and gets to post the next picture. Otherwise I would have held up the game!

Edited by jpalbny

Congratulations Daisi.  

The Six-Bucket Well in Obernai is a Renaissance-style fountain, built in 1579 by a group of Strasbourg craftsmen. Three columns with Corinthian capitals support an octagonal canopy with biblical quotations from the New Testament carved in the stone .

Cute village and of course, a restaurant was right behind the well.

IMG_1438 (1).jpg

15 minutes ago, Daisi said:

@notamermaid, I don't think it was really pointed out on our tour, but I liked it so took a picture.  🙂

Yes, I think it is pretty, I am fond of red sandstone. The embarrassing thing is, the well is in the market square not too far from the cathedral and I know I have walked past it at least twice in my life, I just do not remember it. The Marktbrunnen is so architecturally important someone has even given it an English Wikipedia entry, complete with Latin inscription details. A bit much info but the basic history is interesting, it is from the same period as the one in Obernai: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marktbrunnen_(Mainz)

notamermaid

Let's see. This looks official. Too opulent and stressing "ancestry" along the walls to be a school, but a lecture hall in the broadest sense. Seating around the walls for audience and you are on a balcony for audience and spectators that have no direct connection to the proceedings downstairs. Not a church. A town hall most likely and to the right is another clue: blue tiles. Theoretically, dark wood and the tiles could mean Netherlands but the paintings look a bit more Spanish to me, so as a start I guess: Douro river.

notamermaid

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

@jpalbnyDid you purposely edit the photo to omit the ceiling?

A very lonely chair & table indeed - particularly when one is “defending”.

Okay, enough with the clues from me.

Sure looking forward to the return of my laptop as I absolutely detest working on this iPad mini. 😕

No, I have another with the ceiling which I can add later. It certainly is impressive. This one had better lighting to show the room's contents.

Very good clues, I might add. Hint: not Prince Harry. 

Edited by jpalbny

Alright, alright, Harry Potter. One of the must-see places for fans, I reckon. I know of the bookshop, stunning it is. I saw that in the German series about a river cruise ship, the couple went there and also to a brush workshop. This room is then a setting for some court case in the Harry Potter films? No idea, only ever seen two films, I think. Never read a book of the series.

notamermaid

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I know of the bookshop, stunning it is. 

I agree - it’s stunnIng. We visited the Lello bookstore in Porto to please 2 young Potter fans. The architecture is amazing & we were told that the Lavraria  Lello was the inspiration for the library at Hogwarts.

Not aware of the brush workshop.

Edited by dogs4fun

@dogs4fun, here is the picture that I have showing some of that incredible ceiling. Sorry that it's just a cellphone snap.

I am a little bummed that we didn't go to the bookstore in Porto - I actually don't think that it was even on our list! But we wouldn't have had time anyway, considering how much else we crammed into that trip.

1261866077_CCPic7.thumb.jpg.e6b002b636e0c3e8e77616d1a079c1c5.jpg

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

@ljandgbYou got it!

This room is at the University of Coimbra, which we stopped at on our own last year when we drove from Tomar to Porto. The students all wear black robes and look like they stepped out of Hogwarts. And the library here is amazing.

This room is used by students defending their thesis. The candidate sits in that lonely chair down at floor level. The examiners sit above them and spectators can observe from the benches. Seems quite intimidating.

You're up!