MSC Suspends all Magnifica Sailings until December 18

BermudaBound2014

I think your previous predictions are showing correct - it's not regulations that are stopping cruising now in Europe, it is very low consumer demand.  Prices are rock bottom on Grandiosa (less than $50 per person per day, plus incentives) at the moment, and were even lower on Magnifica.

• Like 1

I’ve received an email from operations this evening, cancelling my Jan 28th cruise on Grandiosa and stating:

As this public health emergency continues to evolve, the authorities of many countries have effectively closed their ports to all cruise ships. In light of this development, as other cruise lines MSC Cruises has decided to temporarily pause its cruise operation until the situation improves. 

We expected this given the lockdown situation and rising cases again.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 8420PR said:

I think your previous predictions are showing correct - it's not regulations that are stopping cruising now in Europe, it is very low consumer demand.  Prices are rock bottom on Grandiosa (less than $50 per person per day, plus incentives) at the moment, and were even lower on Magnifica.

I take no pleasure in being correct when it comes to cruising. My outlook for the industry as a whole has been bleak since the second CDC no sail extension back in May. 

Tui and Costa just cancelled Greece sailings:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23827-tui-cancels-mein-schiff-6-program-in-greece.html

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23826-costa-suspends-cruises-aboard-deliziosa-to-greece.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2020 at 10:10 PM, MrsBlakey said:

I’ve received an email from operations this evening, cancelling my Jan 28th cruise on Grandiosa and stating:

As this public health emergency continues to evolve, the authorities of many countries have effectively closed their ports to all cruise ships. In light of this development, as other cruise lines MSC Cruises has decided to temporarily pause its cruise operation until the situation improves. 

We expected this given the lockdown situation and rising cases again.

Is that because you are in the UK? I have a booking on the Grandiosa on the 18th January which is still on. I live in Spain and have to travel to Civitavecchia as Barcelona is not opening for now for cruise ships.

@cluaran: First of it all, be welcome to our forum!... 🙂

It's worth to notice that the current MSC cruises are being sold to Schengen Agreement citizens only. Once the UK where MrsBlakey lives is out of Schengen Agreement, then they cannot embark on any of them, so they were cancelled. Once Spain is a Schengen Agreement participant, and you live there, your booking is OK, unless the Spanish government decides to suspend temporarily their partnership on the Agreement because of the pandemic.

Basically speaking those MSC cruises are now working as domestic cruises for the EU and some of their allies. No other passengers are permitted to board. And they will be so for long time, unfortunately. Cruising back to normal only for Christmas 2021 by bare minimum if the new vaccines prove to be efficient. And you'll certainly need to have it to board the ships, surely...

Have a nice day!...

• Like 1