My January 2021 VO Status?

What was that?

4 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Cool....how many days in all?  OK...I see....another 15....so 30 days in all. So you'll get up to Tromsø....we loved that port!!!  Great plan to do both. That's getting a bit long for me though. Maximum of 3 weeks is about as much as I care for, for any trip. 

Affirmative, 30 days in the ship. Will also spend a few weeks in UK with my dad pre-cruise, then fly down to Barcelona a couple of days early. Considered the Viking pre-cruise, but it was 2 nights in a hotel, 2 brekkies and a bus tour, so not great value.

31 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Affirmative, 30 days in the ship. Will also spend a few weeks in UK with my dad pre-cruise, then fly down to Barcelona a couple of days early. Considered the Viking pre-cruise, but it was 2 nights in a hotel, 2 brekkies and a bus tour, so not great value.

Surely something to look forward to!!  

Trade Routes and Iberian Explorer are both repositioning cruises. IE is what they developed to bring a ship from the Med to London to do Norther Lights, so it is usually the beginning of January -- and sales only once a year.  With Trade Routes, they are bring a ship to Bergen for the spring and summer cruises and then sailing back to the Med for the late fall and winter.

We did Iberian Explorer this past January as a quick get-away (not bad since we fly out of Boston). We added a few nights on our own before and after.  Instead of spending the pre- in Barcelona, we flew to Bilbao for two nights to see the Guggenheim Museum and wonder around the city for the day. After looking into the chain hotels in London so I could use our chain points for the stay and unhappy with the hotel reviews, we ended up in a quaint hotel on Severn Square, near the Earls Court Tube Station-- very convenient. Where we would have stayed in the cheapest room in the chain, we stayed in one of the larger rooms with a view onto the square. Earls Court was a very convenient locale. Since we had packed very light, we were able to use the Tube to get to Heathrow -- and not have to worry about getting delayed in traffic.

6 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

We are doing a B2B - Barcelona to Bergen then a Midnight Sun Bergen to London

G'day Andy - long time, no chat.

I'm not sure what the situation is in other locations but there is a significant price difference between Midnight Sun and Trade Routes (figures below are Aussie dollars, with grat's included).

May 2022 Trade Routes $7,895 for DV1.

June 2022 Midnight Sun $10,595 for DV1 (with similar differences as you move through cabin categories).

Any thoughts on this ? Is Midnight Sun considered to be a 'premium' product, is Trade Routes considered 'repositioning' and therefore not as attractive, do the ports make Midnight Sun itinerary more attractive ... etc.

Not a big deal, just curious if it is a similar situation where you are.

We were scheduled to depart for South America in a couple of days -  now postponed till Jan 2022. We also had a river cruise booked for next year but have also postponed that until we know if Jan 2022 goes ahead.

Stay safe, cheers from Queensland.

LM

12 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Trade Routes and Iberian Explorer are both repositioning cruises.

Hello Peregrina

You posted at the same time as I asked this question of Andy. Thank you for clarifying.

Regards, LM

Edited by Little Monty
edit

1 hour ago, Little Monty said:

Hello Peregrina

You posted at the same time as I asked this question of Andy. Thank you for clarifying.

Regards, LM

That happens sometimes.

Don't forget that part of the difference in price has to do with how much Viking has to pay in each port for dockside services. Everything in Norway is more expensive, so the more ports in Norway, the more expensive the cruise will be.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Little Monty said:

G'day Andy - long time, no chat.

I'm not sure what the situation is in other locations but there is a significant price difference between Midnight Sun and Trade Routes (figures below are Aussie dollars, with grat's included).

May 2022 Trade Routes $7,895 for DV1.

June 2022 Midnight Sun $10,595 for DV1 (with similar differences as you move through cabin categories).

Any thoughts on this ? Is Midnight Sun considered to be a 'premium' product, is Trade Routes considered 'repositioning' and therefore not as attractive, do the ports make Midnight Sun itinerary more attractive ... etc.

Not a big deal, just curious if it is a similar situation where you are.

We were scheduled to depart for South America in a couple of days -  now postponed till Jan 2022. We also had a river cruise booked for next year but have also postponed that until we know if Jan 2022 goes ahead.

Stay safe, cheers from Queensland.

LM

Hi Little Monty - Great to see you posting again. The Canadian & Australian dollars are fairly close, so our prices are fairly similar

• Trade Routes (DV1) - $7,799
  • Midnight Sun (DV1) - $9,699 

The Trade Routes is a repositioning voyage, which often have a lower daily cost.

• Thanks 1