A year Ago his week - Spirit of Discovery

Solent Richard

Exactly a year ago yesterday my wife and I joined Saga's Spirit of Discovery for a 16 night cruise into the Mediterranean which gave us the opportunity to experience Saga's latest venture, their own dedicated ships.
We had an excellent cruise and had no complaints whatsoever and were very pleased with everything we found. Little did we know at the time though that with 4 other cruises booked we would only have the opportunity of completing TWO before the pandemic interfered with our plans.
For anyone who may have missed it at the time here's a link to my comprehensive review of the cruise...

1984911744_SoDExternal1.jpg.a324aa5d8a2b5dc99f03db015c27c605.jpg

426077291_CoasttoCoastSeafoodPlatter2.jpg.1bfcb3c5b74d6ecc3fba25928e33312d.jpg

• Like 1

A very interesting and informative review Richard, thank you.  We have a big birthday coming up in a couple of years, and plan to book a cruise with Saga to celebrate.  We are debating whether to book a deluxe cabin or a mid-ship suite.  What did you think of the mid-ship suite?

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion.  They are helpful up to a point, but it’s difficult to get an idea of the dimensions of the lounge and bedroom in The mid-ship suite, going by the virtual tour alone.  The bathroom looks amazing though!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LandC said:

A very interesting and informative review Richard, thank you.  We have a big birthday coming up in a couple of years, and plan to book a cruise with Saga to celebrate.  We are debating whether to book a deluxe cabin or a mid-ship suite.  What did you think of the mid-ship suite?

Firstly thank you for the kind comment. 

Secondly, on the Midship Suite, both of us thought it excellent and, if affordable, the way to go. The Premium drinks and all the little extras are well worth it.

3 hours ago, LandC said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  They are helpful up to a point, but it’s difficult to get an idea of the dimensions of the lounge and bedroom in The mid-ship suite, going by the virtual tour alone.  The bathroom looks amazing though!

It is amazing especially with the separate walk in shower.

We went for a midship suite,  think it was right decision, can only tell after our first Saga cruise some time off.

Felt a deluxe cabin didn't offer that much over a standard cabin. A lot ( i suppose a third to a half) of the extra space is taken up by the bigger empty space at the foot of the bed which you don't use.  Logically go for a standard cabin  or a midship suite.  As Solent Richard has said if you can afford it go for it. Or a standard cabin and a longer cruise.

We found the standard cabin OK when we were on Discovery for 7 nights last year, but I wouldn’t want to be in it for a long cruise.  The wardrobe is rather small, and we had to put the life jackets and other gubbins under the bed in order  to make room for our shoes.  Also the gap between the bottom of the bed and the wall is only about 2 feet, so it felt a bit cramped.  

The deluxe cabin, as well as being more spacious, has a walk in wardrobe.

Having said that, I agree that the mid ship suite is the way go if you can afford it!

• 1 month later...

Thanks excellent blog - just put deposits down on two Saga for 22 so trying to find out as much as is possible.. I suspect in the long run sailing out of this country is going to be the new norm for us and these certainly look like the ships to do it on..

Watching some of the 21 Spring/summer sailings with intent to jump onboard as soon as confirmed they are good to go - I can see a couple of those perhaps sailing (maybe scenic only or with less ports).. 

• 2 months later...

Excellent review Richard thank you for posting we’ve just booked on Adventure for Xmas/New Year 22/23 this has really wet our appetites after only been P&O previously. Let’s hope things are back as near normal as possible by then.