Kaua'i Quarantine Update

Silver Sweethearts

As reported by "Maui Now":

Kaua‘i Mayor Derek S.K. Kawakami’s request to place a temporary moratorium on Kaua‘i’s participation in the state’s pre-travel testing program has been approved by Gov. David Ige.  Effective Dec. 2, at 12:01 a.m., all transpacific and inter-county travelers arriving in Kaua‘i are subject to the 14-day quarantine regardless of testing.

“The unprecedented surge of COVID-19 cases on the mainland and the rise in community spread on Kaua‘i are of significant concern for the Garden Isle,” Ige said in a news release. “We must protect Kaua‘i residents and visitors and ensure that Kaua‘i’s hospitals do not become overwhelmed. Kaua‘i county currently has the fewest number of ICU beds in the state, and private providers are seeking ways to increase capacity. This moratorium aims to stabilize the situation on Kaua‘i.”

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

@Sweethearts, are you on Maui now? What is your take on the Gov will, or will not approve Maui imposing the secondary test at the 48-72 hour point? We plan on arriving Dec 3 for a week...hoping it doesn't happen...at least not that fast.

Thanks!

Aloha Bruce:  Yes, we are here.  We are blessed to live Upcountry full-time, and do not leave except for a cruise once in a while.   

As to the Governor, as far as we know he never really wanted to call for the second test.  Mayor Victorino did but the Governor held off.  There is a program in place, however, (which may be ending Monday (you'd have to check that) where you as a visitor could get a second test for free.  It is strictly voluntary.  Above all though, remember that you and yours will have to have a negative test result from an approved test from a trusted partner and have it in hand before you even get on the plane here.  Consult Maui Now or Maui News for more details if you haven't already. 

Where will you be staying?  Many restaurants and resorts are open again.  The weather is fantastic.

E komo mai and an early Mele Kalikimaka!

Thanks for the info, @Silver Sweethearts. We heard the Mayor wants to now add a second test at 24-48 hours, and require everyone to quarantine in a home or "resort bubble" until that second test comes back negative. The Governor has not ruled on the Mayor's request.  I will check the sources you mentioned.

We will be staying at the Grand Wailea.

12 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

There is a program in place, however, (which may be ending Monday (you'd have to check that) where you as a visitor could get a second test for free.  It is strictly voluntary.

We did this when we went in October-- it wasn't all that bad. Felt like it would be good to help them acquire the data they are looking for. The only thing that was a pain is that it was administered from a mobile unit that kept changing locations. It would be in one parking lot one day and another the next. We missed it the day we planned and had to track it down the next day. 

5 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

We heard the Mayor wants to now add a second test at 24-48 hours, and require everyone to quarantine in a home or "resort bubble" until that second test comes back negative.

It sounds similar to the program in place in Bermuda. Negative test required prior to departure and a test administered by the government immediately upon landing as part of the immigration process. You are then required to quarantine until the results are back that afternoon or early the next morning. We experienced this is July and again, it wasn't that bad if you just know whats required ahead of time. Additional tests are then required every 4 days but don't require the quarantine. 

I think that as more rapid tests become available, a lot more frequent testing will be required in these "non essential" travel scenarios. 

8 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

@princeton123211and @Silver Sweethearts, as of Nov 27, no change in current policy being sought.

CruiserBruce:  Since you are staying in Wailea and perhaps dining in the area, you may want to note the article at mauinews.com about the Monkeypod Kitchen that was posted recently just as a FYI.

Just apropos of your upcoming visit and in case you are interestedI, we were in Kahului this afternoon and if you need to get gasoline, the price at Safeway by the airport is the same as Costco at the moment.   In case you haven't been to that Safeway (Ho'okele Street at Hana Highway), it is actually more fun than Costco because we don't have to buy a ton of each item.  They aren't that cheap, but at times very reasonable (USDA Choice Porterhouse steaks at $7.99 per pound - and at least to us that is a good deal here).  Sorry to go off subject...

For some reason our "name" is now appearing as @Silver Sweethearts.  No "@" is necessary - just plain Silver Sweethearts is fine.

33 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

CruiserBruce:  Since you are staying in Wailea and perhaps dining in the area, you may want to note the article at mauinews.com about the Monkeypod Kitchen that was posted recently just as a FYI.

Just apropos of your upcoming visit and in case you are interestedI, we were in Kahului this afternoon and if you need to get gasoline, the price at Safeway by the airport is the same as Costco at the moment.   In case you haven't been to that Safeway (Ho'okele Street at Hana Highway), it is actually more fun than Costco because we don't have to buy a ton of each item.  They aren't that cheap, but at times very reasonable (USDA Choice Porterhouse steaks at $7.99 per pound - and at least to us that is a good deal here).  Sorry to go off subject...

For some reason our "name" is now appearing as @Silver Sweethearts.  No "@" is necessary - just plain Silver Sweethearts is fine.

The "@" tags you in the response. Otherwise you might not see comments directed at you.

Supposedly the Maui Mayor is talking to the Governor tomorrow about possible changes. I think we could get into town on Thursday before any new requirements. Hopefully....

Yep, saw the comments about Monkeypod. Longhi has been a favorite...see the Lahaina restaurant has closed, but Wailea is still open. 

We get gas at the Costco regularly. When we stay at our timeshare in Kahana we usually split our shopping between the Costco and the Lahaina Safeway, for exactly the reasons you mentioned. 

14 hours ago, scottca075 said:

It's my understanding that Kauai is reinstituting the 14 day quarantine.

As posted earlier, we believe this is still the latest report about Kaua'i:

"HONOLULU – Gov. David Ige has approved Kaua‘i Mayor Derek Kawakami’s request to place a temporary moratorium on Kaua‘i’s participation in the state’s pre-travel testing program. Effective Dec. 2 at 12:01 a.m., all transpacific and intercounty travelers arriving in Kaua‘i are subject to the 14-day quarantine regardless of testing."

Edited by Silver Sweethearts