Norwegian Fjords vs 7 day Scandinavia

librarymom

Europe 2022 opened up and my husband was always interested in Norwegian Fjords (Bergen, Skjolden/Sognefjord, Olden, Stavanger). We were about to book when I noticed the 7 day Scandinavia (Kristiansand, Copenhagen, Skagen, Oslo) that also includes a few days in Norway but also includes Denmark. They are one week apart, both on the Sky Princess, both 7 days, both roundtrip London, same price. Any thoughts on one versus the other. I'm having a hard time deciding.

I would strongly recommend the Norwegian Fjords cruise.  Of all the cruises I have been fortunate enough to take, that one was my favorite.  The scenery is breathtaking, and the tours provided give you an intimate view of the Norwegian landscape and people. The Norwegian people are very friendly and helpful.

However, the Northern European tour would certainly be an enjoyable alternate.

Whatever you decide, have a great time !

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, librarymom said:

Europe 2022 opened up and my husband was always interested in Norwegian Fjords (Bergen, Skjolden/Sognefjord, Olden, Stavanger). We were about to book when I noticed the 7 day Scandinavia (Kristiansand, Copenhagen, Skagen, Oslo) that also includes a few days in Norway but also includes Denmark. They are one week apart, both on the Sky Princess, both 7 days, both roundtrip London, same price. Any thoughts on one versus the other. I'm having a hard time deciding.

Hello, librarymom--

I wish I could answer your question about which cruise is better, fjords vs. everyplace else in Scandinavia. I have a suggestion for you: do a search of videos taken by a guy named Hoosier Tim for any cruises taken by him of Scandinavia, especially the one he took over a decade ago to every part of the Baltic to and from Copenhagen aboard Emerald Princess. When you watch the video, you will see what Mr. Tim Van Pein, the videographer, sees in his camera--the sights and the sounds of the pax and locals in each port visited along with a tour through the Emerald Princess itself. When I asked in my comments on the video why he doesn't show himself eating or shopping, he replied that he thinks shopping was a waste of time and while he does dine in the MDR or during shore excursions, he doesn't take videos of the food consumed.

That said, I recommend that you ask your travel agent about how to choose between the two: fjords vs. everywhere. I would not be surprised if his or her answer was a noncommittal just go w/your interests but the fjords' scenery is spectacular. Regarding staying in Norway itself, if you read any of the guidebooks--and I have--, they will warn you that Norway is a very expensive country because of their high sales taxes, especially on alcoholic beverages, food, and other consumer items. If I were choosing between fjords vs. everywhere in Baltic, I'd choose the fjords because I've been to many of the Baltic ports except for either Riga or Tallinn.

Getting R/T flights to and from London is a good idea because you won't need to connect to an airport on the Continent. But what if the Brits require you to undergo quarantine for 14 days before boarding the Sky Princess in Southampton, are you prepared to handle that situation? I suggest that you consider adding the two weeks onto your vacation time along with a huge chunk of change to handle the hotel bill: London is an expensive city to stay so be prepared for sticker shock on hotel rates. Whatever choice you end up making, I'm sure you'll be pleased about the sights you see and the people in each port. I liked the Danes and the Finns because they were very nice and good-looking. 

2 hours ago, librarymom said:

Thanks all, I booked the Fjords. We don't know the future, but we are retired, so we are flexible.

You will not be disappointed. Place the 14 day land of the midnight sun on your to cruise list. We did did it. Spectacular! 

Two entirely different cruises.  The Baltic/Oslo type cruise is for the cities and touring, while the fiords are for majestic scenery.  You really can't compare them - they are that different.  Think of trying to compare an Alaskan cruise to a California Coastal - different in every way.

If you have to choose, pick what is important to you and your decision will be made.  We loved both, but if you asked my wife and I which one was our favorite, you would get two different answers.

If you decide to do the fiords, and have the time and travel funds, take Skynight's advice and do the 14 or 15 day Land of the Midnight Sun.  It was truly spectacular to attend the deck party at midnight and be in the daylight.

• Like 1

You made a good choice if you like scenery. I’ve never done the Scandinavia cruise, so I can’t compare. Of all my cruises, Norway is one of my favorites. The scenery is beautiful. I enjoy natural beauty over touring cities. I did the 14 day summer solstice cruise a couple years back. Absolutely worth it.