Rookie question regarding FCC for 3/20 cancelled cruise by HAL

Rippo

Hello, thanks in advance for any insight you may provide.

We were scheduled for a mid-March cruise in 2020 and the cruise was cancelled 48 hours before departure.

My understanding was that HAL was going to give a Refund (I did this through my credit card after waiting months) AND a FCC that equaled the cost of the cruise, x 125%. In other words, we would get our $$ back AND get most of a free cruise in the future for our trouble. This cruise was booked through a 3rd party. 

Additionally, I was told that I would ALSO be receiving $225 pp OB for my trouble.

Fast forward, I put a refundable deposit down for the same cruise in 2021. Now, it too has been cancelled. This one was booked through HAL. I never got to the point of having my "full cruise x 125% FCC calculated" to know if all the credits were applied, as the deposit was put down this summer and I was told that HAL was still "behind in doing everyone's credits". For this cruise, I am told that if I rebook, my $350 deposit would be doubled for the inconvenience ($700).

But, when I inquired about my "free cruise x 125% FCC", I was told that the original outside TA "has to process paperwork, I would have to PAY the fare to get the 125%, and that would turn into my credit".

I don't think my HAL Advisor is intentionally screwing me over, I just think it's a mess.

Can anyone help explain what I am due? THANKS!

First of all you do not get both, A refund and the credit. You could have asked for a total refund to your card OR a credit of the amount you paid plus 25%? used for another cruise.

The second cruise, A refund or double your deposit.

Thanks for the answer. I think I may need to clarify.

My scheduled March 2020 cruise was one of the first cruises to be cancelled. 

My understanding was that these cruisers were entitled to not only a refund, but also a full credit for their cruise. After all, we were about to get on the plane. I did not ask for hotel, car reimbursements as I could cancel at no charge.

I was stuck with a SWA credit of $1,000+

Is anyone here that was part of that first weekend with HAL and what was received (if I recall, the offer came from HAL President via email).

Thanks again.

Is this what you were referring to?:

Holland America Line Extends Temporary Pause Of Its Global Ship Operations For 30 Additional Days

Cruises departing through May 14 are now cancelled.
FOLLOW: Updates on Zaandam

Seattle, Wash., Mar. 30, 2020 (7:15 AM PDT) — Due to the continued port closures and travel restrictions surrounding global health concerns, Holland America Line has made the decision to extend its pause of global cruise operations for an additional 30 days, cancelling sailings scheduled to depart through May 14, 2020.

Guests currently booked on cruises from April 14 through May 14 and their travel advisors will receive notification from Holland America Line in the coming days regarding options for selecting either a Future Cruise Credit for 125% of their booking value plus an additional $250 shipboard credit or a full refund.

“As the world addresses global health concerns, travel has come to a temporary standstill as communities take necessary precautions to protect themselves,” said Orlando Ashford, president of Holland America Line. “All of us at Holland America Line are wishing everyone the best during this unprecedented time. ”

All bookings will automatically be cancelled through May 14. Guests do not need to call to cancel; however, they may use the online Cancellation Form to indicate their preference for a 125% Future Cruise Credit with a bonus $250 shipboard credit or 100% refund.  Holland America Line will reimburse cancellation fees for air and other arrangements for travel to and from the cancelled cruise. (This does not apply to chartered sailings.)

20 hours ago, Rippo said:

Is anyone here that was part of that first weekend with HAL and what was received (if I recall, the offer came from HAL President via email).

I had two cruises cancelled in February/March 2020, before the March 30th announcement DaveOKC shows above. I received a full refund plus a FCC for a percentage of the cruise fare paid for each voyage. The FCC for one of my cruises was 50% of the cruise fare paid, and the other FCC was for 25% because that cruise left two weeks later.  Here is the verbiage from the cancellation email I received from HAL on 2/16/2020 for cancellation of my 2/29/2020 cruise.

"All guests will receive a full refund of their cruise fare, Holland America Line Flight Ease air, pre- and post-cruise hotel packages, prepaid shore excursions and other prepaid items purchased through Holland America Line, and taxes, fees, and port expenses. Your refund will be processed automatically via the method of payment used to pay for your cruise.

As your cruise has been cancelled so close to departure, each guest will also receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to 50% of the cruise fare paid on this voyage."

I also suggest you look at your email for your specific terms.

KONINGSDAM cruise embarking from FLL thence around South America of March 15, 2020; we all got our Cruise money back AND a Future Cruise Credit of 125% of that cruise’s basic fare. Most of us got our FLL hotel and Airfare also reimbursed either by the Hotel and/or HAL.  THEN, in late 2020 HAL cancelled the cruises most of us rebooked using that 125% FCC. They offered us $150?? for that inconvenience and let us push our promised FCC out to year 2022.  As of Dec 11, 2020 that’s where it sits. 

22 hours ago, Bookited said:

First of all you do not get both, A refund and the credit. You could have asked for a total refund to your card OR a credit of the amount you paid plus 25%? used for another cruise.

RIPPO needs to specifically describe exactly which cruise she’s talking about. AND to detail if ‘Cruise Insurance’ was/is involved and if a Travel agent was involved. Some cruisers got less or more than others for a host of complicated legal reasons. 

Apologies due if a Typo in my above reply confused anyone. HAL cruises from FLL cancelled in March of 2020  ended up with truly VAST differences in compensation from HAL to guests. One shoe doesn’t fit all. We (my spouse and I) never cancelled for a Mar 15, 2020 K’dam cruise; therefor we received a different compensation package than those that cancelled on their own accord. Those that had ‘Cruise Insurance’ received yet a different compensation. Other cruises’ for other intended guests received entirely different compensations. Those already in FLL at time of cancellation received yet a different amount than those not yet aboard a flight to FLL.  It is now Dec. 2020 and is still being sorted out for some. (So if you weren’t there.... 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 10:53 AM, Bookited said:

This is not true. We were in the exact same boat (no pun intended🙂). Cruise scheduled for 3/14/20, cancelled by HAL less than 24 hrs prior to sailing. Because of the last minute cancellation on HAL's part, we were given a full refund plus 100% FCC. An excerpt from the email we received from HAL at the time:

"All guests will receive a full refund of their cruise fare, Holland America Line Flight Ease air, pre- and post-cruise hotel packages, prepaid shore excursions and other prepaid items, and taxes, fees, and port expenses. Your refund will be processed automatically via the method of payment used to pay for your cruise.

As your cruise has been cancelled so close to departure, each guest will also receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to 100% of the base cruise fare paid on this voyage. The terms and conditions of this Future Cruise Credit appear below."

We received the full refund, and have already applied the FCC to a new booking for April 2022. 🙂

Edited by KroozNut
  • Like 1