Signal Flags

Colin_Cameron

I've been looking at some old video of Queen Victoria from 2008 and spotted this unusual flag

signal1.jpg

"Y" meaning "I am dragging my anchor". Now we have dragged anchors on a couple of ships but this was a calm day so fairly sure that wasn't the case here. 

So my first question is,  do they use that when holding station using the thrusters?

Edited by Colin_Cameron

Other common flags are:

"H". Pilot on board.

"Q". My vessel is 'healthy' and I request free pratique. (Often mistakenly referred to as the Quarantine flag)

"P".  The blue Peter. All persons should report on board as the vessel is about to proceed to sea. (Not seen this for a few years)

Second question. What others has anyone spotted?

1 hour ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Other common flags are:

"H". Pilot on board.

"Q". My vessel is 'healthy' and I request free pratique. (Often mistakenly referred to as the Quarantine flag)

"P".  The blue Peter. All persons should report on board as the vessel is about to proceed to sea. (Not seen this for a few years)

Second question. What others has anyone spotted?

“Bravo” - handling dangerous substance - you ship will fly this when taking on fuel.

”Oscar” - man overboard.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

If you mean red/yellow diagonal stripes flag it means "I am carrying mails" according to Google.

I had discounted that possible meaning as it wasn't flying when we arrived nor when we left. The still from the video was taken from ashore while the ship was either anchored, or holding station in the middle of the bay.

22 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

“Bravo” - handling dangerous substance - you ship will fly this when taking on fuel.

I've seen this on the bunker tanker but never noticed it on our ship.

23 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

”Oscar” - man overboar

Watched a few MOB exercises and not seen it used. Fortunately not been aboard anytime it would have to have been used for real. 

3 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I had discounted that possible meaning as it wasn't flying when we arrived nor when we left. The still from the video was taken from ashore while the ship was either anchored, or holding station in the middle of the bay.

I have since searched Google further and according to Wikipedia it means " I am dragging my anchor". Rather confusing as would have thought every flag should have the same meaning or else what is the point.

31 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

... would have thought every flag should have the same meaning or else what is the point.

Some of them are listed as having different meanings depending on whether the ship is ‘in port/docked/anchored’ or ‘at sea’. Although this one isn’t listed as such I had assumed a similar distinction for these two possible meanings.

2 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Some of them are listed as having different meanings depending on whether the ship is ‘in port/docked/anchored’ or ‘at sea’. Although this one isn’t listed as such I had assumed a similar distinction for these two possible meanings.

We were on QE in the Bay of Islands NZ a few years back, and we held station with the thrusters for several hours prior to departing.  The captain came on the 1MC to say that he was having difficulty maintaining position with the anchor while recovering the last several tenders from shore, and we would be flying a station keeping flag.

Unfortunately while this was happening we had an excellent table in the Commodore Club with a great view around the bay, and several pints of beer,  and could not see the colour of the flag.

1 hour ago, sfred said:

We were on QE in the Bay of Islands NZ a few years back, and we held station with the thrusters for several hours prior to departing.  The captain came on the 1MC to say that he was having difficulty maintaining position with the anchor while recovering the last several tenders from shore, and we would be flying a station keeping flag.

Unfortunately while this was happening we had an excellent table in the Commodore Club with a great view around the bay, and several pints of beer,  and could not see the colour of the flag.

At least you have been able to confirm that there is such a flag.

On 12/23/2020 at 7:44 AM, Colin_Cameron said:

I've been looking at some old video of Queen Victoria from 2008 and spotted this unusual flag

signal1.jpg

"Y" meaning "I am dragging my anchor". Now we have dragged anchors on a couple of ships but this was a calm day so fairly sure that wasn't the case here. 

So my first question is,  do they use that when holding station using the thrusters?

The hoist shown is “RY” (“Romeo Yankee”) and it means that “vessels passing me should do so at slow speed”

2 hours ago, ShipsAreTheBest said:

The hoist shown is “RY” (“Romeo Yankee”) and it means that “vessels passing me should do so at slow speed”

That certainly makes sense as they were running tenders.

I hadn't identified the upper flag as in some frames of the video it looks like the two upper quarters are blue and the lower ones red.

1 hour ago, Colin_Cameron said:

That certainly makes sense as they were running tenders.

I hadn't identified the upper flag as in some frames of the video it looks like the two upper quarters are blue and the lower ones red.

The upper quarters are somewhat shaded, and difficult to confirm;  but the lower quarters are certainly red , and there is a yellow cross creating the quarters —- it has to be “Romeo”, as there is no other signal flag it could possibly be.