Haven Perks - NCL Encore

alpineapa

Hi,

We just booked a 2 bedroom Family Villa with Large Balcony. First time staying in the Haven and we were wondering what perks we should expect....

for example, when I board, do I need to race on the ship to do reservations for lazer tag, go karts, shows, restaurants, etc. or will the butler/concierge in the lounge take care of all of that.  We've stayed in suites on RCCL before and the concierge was always able to figure something out (i.e. we did not have any issues with getting things booked).

In reading reviews, seems like go carts, laser tag, etc. gets fully booked SUPER quickly so I am a bit worried.

thanks for the help!

The concierge can help you with show, dining, shore ex, and entertainment reservations.

If a restaurant is “sold out”, the concierge has some latitude to over sell the restaurant. But when it is totally sold out, you won’t get a seat no mater how much you ask. And restaurants will be totally sold out by the afternoon of embarkation, so if you want until you board, don’t delay in getting things booked. 

Shore Ex is capacity limited by the tour company. So a sold out tour is sold out... concierge can’t help you there. 

Go Karts on some ships will have a special line for Haven guests to get you on and off faster. 

Personally, we use the fact that Haven guest can book dinners and shows online 130 days prior to departure (10 days before the non-suite guests) to make our own dinner and show reservations exactly how we want them. And use the concierge to change them, as needed. There are 80 Haven suites and you’ll be in line to get concierge services on embarkation day. 

Your butler teams with your room steward to service your room. Your butler will bring daily afternoon snacks. If you want something else special, make your request in advance.  For us big kids, a PB&J sandwich or an extra cheese plate are often added to the default daily snacks. Along with full bowls of M&Ms (plain and/or peanut), gummy bears, and bar mix (refilled daily). And a pitcher of ice tea and water in the fridge. 

There are check-box breakfast cards in the room. If you want breakfast served in your stateroom, ignore the check boxes and write your order on the card. Eggs over easy, omelette, ham, bacon, sausage, filet steak, hashbrowns, breakfast potatoes, fresh fruit, fresh bread, and a diet Pepsi.

5825C01D-C1D1-4CFC-AE3C-A9F6E4677BC5.jpeg

15416FB6-045D-4A24-B88F-697E2FD8FC78.jpeg

Thanks! I was not aware of the 130 days vs. 120 days, I will certainly circle that date in my calendar. We are only sailing march 2022 so a long way to go, hehe.

Haven line for go carts would be great! Does anyone know price for unlimited rides and if you have the unlimited rides/haven do you need to make reservations for each rides or do you simply show up in the haven line?

what about laser tag, any haven information or tips for this one? Does this one also have an unlimited option?

thanks everyone!

26 minutes ago, alpineapa said:

Thanks! I was not aware of the 130 days vs. 120 days, I will certainly circle that date in my calendar. We are only sailing march 2022 so a long way to go, hehe.

Haven line for go carts would be great! Does anyone know price for unlimited rides and if you have the unlimited rides/haven do you need to make reservations for each rides or do you simply show up in the haven line?

what about laser tag, any haven information or tips for this one? Does this one also have an unlimited option?

thanks everyone!

I do not know the answer to your specific questions. The link below is to my live post from. The inaugural Encore voyage last thanksgiving. You may find answers and things you have not thought of in some of the daily programs. 

I got back from a 2 bedroom suite on Encore in March.  Best cruise experience ever.  The concierge will book laser tag, dinner, shows, escape room, go carts, etc.  IMHO it felt like a luxury line with a 3 deck Haven complex.  Best Haven sundeck with 2 hot tubs off the side of the ship.  Best courtyard that has a solarium roof for bad weather.  Horizon lounge is amazing.  We also had a large balcony where you can have loungers.  When you pay those Haven prices, you should expect to have a balcony that can fit a lounger IMHO.  Because I am a worry wart, I still booked most things prior to boarding.  With everyone having the dining package, most restaurants are sold out.  When they are sold out, sometimes the concierge cannot get you in.  So if you know for sure your dining times, book in advance.

DSCN0053.JPG

DSCN0046.JPG

DSCN0057.JPG

DSCN0048.JPG

DSCN0062.JPG

DSCN0060.JPG

DSCN0064.JPG

Edited by david_sobe

Thanks for all of the great information as well as the pictures! 

For the Go Carts, If you get an "unlimited pass", do you still need to make a reservation or you just show up and I assume you can only by the pass once onboard (or through your concierge when on-board).

For Go Carts, reservations, you book specific time slots? I noticed in the dailies that you had time slots for double and some for single, does that mean if I want to ride with my son, I would only be able to do it during doubles time? Also, if I ride doubles with my son, can my dad ride singles at the same time, or during doubles it's only double carts?

1 hour ago, alpineapa said:

Thanks for all of the great information as well as the pictures! 

For the Go Carts, If you get an "unlimited pass", do you still need to make a reservation or you just show up and I assume you can only by the pass once onboard (or through your concierge when on-board).

For Go Carts, reservations, you book specific time slots? I noticed in the dailies that you had time slots for double and some for single, does that mean if I want to ride with my son, I would only be able to do it during doubles time? Also, if I ride doubles with my son, can my dad ride singles at the same time, or during doubles it's only double carts?

Yes you book specific time and day.  When they run a doubles course, I believe only doubles can ride and vice versa.  They don't mix the carts on the track.   If my memory is correct, I believe they have a special line for unlimited riders.

While fun, I don't see anyone getting their money's worth on an unlimited pass for $200.  I see one ride per day enough even for someone that wants to ride a lot.  Remember that its a very timely process to ride.  You just don't get in line and hop on the cars.  You have to get the gear, then you proceed to the infomercial which takes more time, etc.  They go over rules and safety and the sterilization process, etc.  When we went for our apt., by the time we got in line, went through all the briefings, and rode and got off was definitely well over an hour.   There is just too much to do on the ship to spend hours in go cart briefings, etc.   This is why I would say one ride per day even for the most desirous riders.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great point. We will likely book 1 ride per day and 1 lazer tag (or 2) per day. So what do you suggest I do to make sure we can make this happen, i.e. as soon as we board, where should I go and who should I go see as we will make this a priority and shortly after I'll go make diner reservations changes if needed and book shows I couldn't online in advance if needed.

This information is not correct.   Yes, 120-130 days out reservations will open up for dining but NCL only puts a very few reservations out there online to book that early.  Even when you go in 130 days out you'll see that most of the reservations they put out online are for like 8:30pm.     They hold most of the dining reservations until passengers actually get on the ship.    This reply will cause unnessary stress if you aren't the lucky few to get those early, few online reservations.     For Haven guests you will have no issue getting any reservation you want if you book with the concierge on the first day.    Even after the first day, the concierge can/will get Haven guests reservations even when the venues appear to be sold out.     

As far as the Haven restaurant, they don't take reservations.   It is first come first served and my advice is to avoid Haven dining the first evening of the cruise.   Most Haven guests get the idea to dine there first, this makes for a very crowded experience and you won't get the personal attention the Haven is known for.    Go to another dining venue that first night, then the second night when all the other haven guests go dine around, then you'll have the Haven dining with far fewer crowds.    The first nd the last night in the Haven dining are the busiest.   I work around those night and always have a great experience.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/28/2020 at 11:57 AM, rjm11 said:

Can you prebook reservations for the Haven Restaurant for dinner? Or do you not need to?

You can not book the Haven restaurant. First come, first serve. It is purposely a smaller venue since they assume a [large] percentage of Haven guests will be doing specialty dining. Or dinner shows. 

Edited by BirdTravels

8 hours ago, Vyhanek said:

This information is not correct.   Yes, 120-130 days out reservations will open up for dining but NCL only puts a very few reservations out there online to book that early.  Even when you go in 130 days out you'll see that most of the reservations they put out online are for like 8:30pm.     They hold most of the dining reservations until passengers actually get on the ship.    This reply will cause unnessary stress if you aren't the lucky few to get those early, few online reservations.     For Haven guests you will have no issue getting any reservation you want if you book with the concierge on the first day.    Even after the first day, the concierge can/will get Haven guests reservations even when the venues appear to be sold out.     

All bookable specialty restaurants are open for Haven guests at 130 days. And all times are available (not just a very few). There are NOT just 8:30 reservations. NCL does not hold most of the dining reservations for on-board bookings. We just completed dining reservations on an upcoming cruise where we are booked in the Haven. 

For Haven guests, the concierge can oversell a restaurant that is sold out for non-suite guests. However, once a restaurant is completely full (which is normally at the end of embarkation day for popular restaurants like Cagney's), even the concierge won't get you a table, no matter how much you ask. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, pinklucky61 said:

Out of idle curiosity, if you're booked in Haven are drinks included? Thought someone posted that drinks in Haven were free, which would mean drink package unnecessary (even with free-at-sea promo). unless of course you're a big drinker.

My experience from the Getaway Haven -- Feb 2020 was the drinks were not free. Nor is the mini bar. We had the drink package and were limited to the same restrictions whether we were in the Haven or out on the other decks/restaurants. In addition the butler cannot bring drinks to your stateroom for free, if you order drinks/wine/etc to your stateroom they don't fall under the drink package and will be charged.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, pinklucky61 said:

Out of idle curiosity, if you're booked in Haven are drinks included? Thought someone posted that drinks in Haven were free, which would mean drink package unnecessary (even with free-at-sea promo). unless of course you're a big drinker.

Nope. No free drinks in the Haven bar. 

IF you are in an owner's suite (there are a couple/four on a ship), you get three bottles of alcohol and mixers in your stateroom. The other 80 Haven rooms have to pay for their drinks (or get a drinks package)

• Like 1

One thing I forgot to add regarding the drinks/Haven is they will get you what you want to drink in the Haven bar. On the Getaway Guinness is only served in O'Sheehan's, but after a request at the Haven Bar... it was readily available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Book yourself early for any shows or games. You have the perk use it. Le Bistro has some lovely French dishes but other than that the food in the Haven restaurant is way better than anything else on board. The lamb chops and shrimp cocktail and filet mignon are amazing and the room between the tables and superior service are fabulous. If you want something special and they can do it, they will. 

• Like 3

A great perk that is sometimes not mentioned is the Haven restaurant is open for lunch while in port.  All the MDRs are closed during port days for lunch.  Not getting off the ship?  No problem.  You can still have lunch in the Haven.  Coming back from an excursion early and starving?  No problem, the Haven restaurant serves lunch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2021 at 3:11 PM, david_sobe said:

A great perk that is sometimes not mentioned is the Haven restaurant is open for lunch while in port.  All the MDRs are closed during port days for lunch.  Not getting off the ship?  No problem.  You can still have lunch in the Haven.  Coming back from an excursion early and starving?  No problem, the Haven restaurant serves lunch.

This is a really great point. And while I know you’re not going to Alaska- this was huge for us. We went and did a morning excursion, lunch in the haven restaurant then back out for an evening excursion. East on/off for Haven was perfect!

Some other perks that we appreciated:

1) at busy return to ship times, the concierge may find you on the pier and direct you to a no-line entrance and staff will bring you up to Haven in staff elevators. (No stopping at every floor like with main elevators) 

2) we pre-booked some restaurants and shows. When we got on, we went right to concierge desk and made adjustments/additional reservations. We were the second group to board and after us came long lines at the concierge desk. One frustrating thing- one person could do shows/karts/laser tag, but a different person did dining. This was annoying. 
3) the espresso machine in the Horizon lounge makes wonderful espresso (better than the Haven room ones which are good)

4) The restaurant is a true highlight and so much better than other options on the ship for breakfast. 
5) The laundry service is spectacular.”

6) the deck is huge, very spacious and the cushions are luxurious. So much better than on the main deck

7) the quiet is real. The volume difference from inside the Haven to out is very obvious.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

It depends on the ship. If you are talking the Encore then the answer is no for the buffet, no for the main dining room( if you are willing to wait in a line) but for specialty restaurants then yes. If you are in the Haven then none needed in the Haven restaurant. 

40 minutes ago, Littlemiah said:

This might be a silly question, but do you need reservations for all restaurants? (including complimentary restaurant)

No.  You only need reservations for the specialty restaurants.  In the old days, sometimes you did not need reservations there either. You could walk up and maybe wait for a table.  Now that most everyone has the specialty dining package, reservations are pretty much necessary for specialty dining.  The MDR only requires reservations for large parties.

• Like 1