Electric wheelchair use in Nassau port area

Hangman115

I have not  been to Nassau in many years. Did not really look at hadicap access until I now need a wheelchair.

Watching recent walking tour videos online. From what i see whhelchairs may have trouble getting off sidewalks to cross at the corner. I also it it would be suicide for me to try and ride in those tight streets. 

My question has anyone had experiebce with handicap acces. Are there curb cuts at the corner or would I have to get off my chair and lift it up or down from sidewalk to sidewalk?

Any advice you can give on me doing a self tour. I know the Straw Market would be nice but the videos I see those aisles are so narrow. making it unsafe for my chair. And I would rather check out other sights rather than just the certified hair braiding station. They have a handicap ramp from what i have see.

I operate a Jazzy Elite electric wheelchair

It has been years since I was there, regardless, I do believe the main streets in the downtown all have cutouts. I traveled with another lady also on a scooter. We took a taxi to the Water Tower once and scooted back to town. We also took the back street to the zoo and was told that was not a safe area for two lone women. So on our return, we took the coast street back to town. On another trip, we took the water taxi to Atlantis and scooted back on our own. At that time there was sort of a “fisherman's wharf” under the bridge on Nassau side.

Other than wandering around down town Nassau, I would highly recommend you have someone with you if you plan to venture out of the immediate area. You can maneuver through the Straw Market. It may be a bit of a maize, regardless the people will aim you the correct direction.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Betty

My husband did the Straw Market with his scooter, but it was a big challenge.  Lucky for us there was only one ship in port that day so the sidewalks weren't too crowded. 

Cutouts are few but they are there in the main street area.

Other areas did not have cutouts.....

The straw market is very tight so keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that if you're in the aisle, and others are coming the other way, you'll be relying on them to back out so you'll be able to continue. I'm just throwing that out.   Also, many streets are cobblestone, making it a bumpy ride.

We travel all around the world with a scooter, literally from Asia to the Carribean.  A few suggestions or comments.  

1. Can you stand?  

2. Is it a scooter or WC?

3. Will you have another person with you? 

If you answer no to number 1 and 3 and you have a WC, than just about anyplace will be a challenge.  However, if you answer 1 or more yes to them, than most likely you can manage.  Nothing is perfect, but with help, its not really too much of an issue.  Straw markets, streets, stores will always be challenges, but certainly achievable.  

The type of scooter matters.  We have a travel light weight scooter, designed for travel but is not as comfortable.  Always a trade off.  However, tight radious turns, and easy to handle at curbs and steps are more important.  The standard heavy scooter on the other hand is more difficult.  

6 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

We travel all around the world with a scooter, literally from Asia to the Carribean.  A few suggestions or comments.  

1. Can you stand?  

2. Is it a scooter or WC?

3. Will you have another person with you? 

If you answer no to number 1 and 3 and you have a WC, than just about anyplace will be a challenge.  However, if you answer 1 or more yes to them, than most likely you can manage.  Nothing is perfect, but with help, its not really too much of an issue.  Straw markets, streets, stores will always be challenges, but certainly achievable.  

The type of scooter matters.  We have a travel light weight scooter, designed for travel but is not as comfortable.  Always a trade off.  However, tight radious turns, and easy to handle at curbs and steps are more important.  The standard heavy scooter on the other hand is more difficult.  

I use a Jazzy Ekite WC. My artifical knee is broken. Until the hospitals in the USA go back to allowing elective surgeries. I am stuck in the WC. Only able to walka few steps now.

Also I'll be by myself. Traveling solo. Plus the WC is too heavy to pick up and put down at crosswalks that do not have a ramp or curb cut.

Sp far it sounds like I will likely stay on board the ship. Or maybe ride down the port.  Head to town without going into town. That means I'll have more money to spend at other ports.

12 hours ago, Hangman115 said:

I use a Jazzy Ekite WC. My artifical knee is broken. Until the hospitals in the USA go back to allowing elective surgeries. I am stuck in the WC. Only able to walka few steps now.

Also I'll be by myself. Traveling solo. Plus the WC is too heavy to pick up and put down at crosswalks that do not have a ramp or curb cut.

Sp far it sounds like I will likely stay on board the ship. Or maybe ride down the port.  Head to town without going into town. That means I'll have more money to spend at other ports.

I think with a WC in Nassau if I remember you can go out the port, turn right, and on the left side near the straw market you will have an area to shop easier.  I'm pretty sure my wife met me there once, and managed just fine by herself on a scooter.  Also, some some small little places to eat and drink.  Sorry been to so many ports, it's hard to remember which ones are the easiest. 

• Like 1