Question on possible cancelled cruise insurance

I have a huge question as this has me awake at night. We are spending 2 months in Europe prior to our cruise back to the US. If our cruise is canceled while we are in Europe, and we have to return by air, will insurance pay for airfare back? I know it takes weeks to get refunds from cruise lines and we would then be stuck in Europe as our travel funds would be tied up. HOw can I address this issue if at all?

4 hours ago, kristi195 said:

I have a huge question as this has me awake at night. We are spending 2 months in Europe prior to our cruise back to the US. If our cruise is canceled while we are in Europe, and we have to return by air, will insurance pay for airfare back? I know it takes weeks to get refunds from cruise lines and we would then be stuck in Europe as our travel funds would be tied up. HOw can I address this issue if at all?

Hi Kristi195,

Which exact trip cancellation plan do you have? And, what State do you live in?

Steve Dasseos

Steve,  I'll be interested to see your response to this question if the return cruise is something not currently permitted by the CDC.  For example if this is a transatlantic cruise that is longer than 7-days before November 1, 2021 the CDC would not permit this cruise under current regulations.  Can you actually purchase insurance for something that is not currently allowed?  Even if this person has already purchased travel insurance, could this person expect the return trip to be covered if the return trip is not permitted by the CDC when they left for Europe?

On 12/28/2020 at 5:40 PM, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Kristi195,

Which exact trip cancellation plan do you have? And, what State do you live in?

Steve Dasseos

I live in Washington state and have a cruise booked from Rome to New York Nov 20, 2021. However, if everything goes well we will actually fly to Europe in Sept. and then travel before taking the cruise back to then states.

2 hours ago, kristi195 said:

I live in Washington state and have a cruise booked from Rome to New York Nov 20, 2021. However, if everything goes well we will actually fly to Europe in Sept. and then travel before taking the cruise back to then states.

Hi Kristi195,

Did you already buy trip insurance for this cruise? Or are you asking about the coverage not specific to a particular policy as a hypothetical situation?

Steve

22 minutes ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Kristi195,

Did you already buy trip insurance for this cruise? Or are you asking about the coverage not specific to a particular policy as a hypothetical situation?

Steve

No I have no insurance. Just wondering the possibilities if the cruise is a no go when the time arrives.

I have written all my companies about this because this potential situation isn't completely explained bt the Itinerary Change benefit in some trip cancellation penalties. I have already heard from some of them, but I have had followup questions.

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo

• 2 weeks later...

We had our January Carribean cruise cancelled by Celebrity and am in the process of getting a refund rather than book another cruise since we have one booked for Octor 2021 already. Since the cruise is a no go and will we get a refund of our travel insurance? We already have another policy for the October cruise.

1 hour ago, buckeyecruisers said:

We had our January Carribean cruise cancelled by Celebrity and am in the process of getting a refund rather than book another cruise since we have one booked for Octor 2021 already. Since the cruise is a no go and will we get a refund of our travel insurance? We already have another policy for the October cruise.

Hi buckeyecruisers,

Which exact policy did you buy?

Steve Dasseos