verandah vs vista suite....is it work the upgrade?

danod44

7 minutes ago, IPB4IGO said:

The resurrection of this old thread prompted me to look at options for our October Hawaii cruise coming up on the Koningsdam. We have a regular verandah (VB) booked on the fourth deck, aft (not aft-facing). I chose it because of the size of the balconies in that part of the fourth deck. No other cabins on the ship seem to have balconies that deep, and there are no Vista Suites in that area.

I guess we won't take an upsell to a Vista on this one, if one is offered.

I wouldn’t.  I had a regular balcony for one week and I got a very reasonable upsell to a vista for the second week.  My balcony on the 4th floor was large.  I had a vista suite over the wake and it was barely bigger but the balcony was much smaller.  There was a lot of vibration in the room too.  I took a pass for the same upsell on the next cruise.

We always book at least a Signature Suite for the much larger cabin and huge bathrooms. We are booked in one on the Oosterdam in August. I have to chuckle that HAL uses "suites" after Vista and Signature, considering other than more space there are zero amenities and added benefits like Suites on other cruise lines. Vista and Signature cabins are not suites just bigger cabins, which many like us enjoy. On Celebrity we book Sky Suites which are about the same size as Signatures on HAL but have all the amenities and benefits of the Celebrity Retreat Suites product. 

Also, if you get your Vista suite via an upsell (lower price point) -- you will not get double Mariner points. I know because I did in on the Zaandam. Where it was a much better cabin for three adults (that 9-drawer desk meant a column of drawers for each person).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Also, if you get your Vista suite via an upsell (lower price point) -- you will not get double Mariner points. I know because I did in on the Zaandam. Where it was a much better cabin for three adults (that 9-drawer desk meant a column of drawers for each person).

Or any upsell for that matter unless you were in a suite to begin with.

Our first HAL Cruise (K'dam) was in a Vista Suite. All subsequent cruises have been in a Veranda. We didn't find the extra few feet of space usable and really disliked the configuration (bed rather than seating area adjacent to the Veranda).

In prior experiences on Princess, we did find the mini-suite a valuable upgrade.

• Like 1

We had a vista suite on our Hawaiian cruise on Koningsdam. The size diff between a regular balcony and a vista suite was negligible. We wanted the points to get to 4star. The difference wasn’t worth it! We got a limp flower in a little vase. The flower was never replaced and the only water that the flower got was from us! We won’t do a vista suite again.

• Like 1