Skagway rail options

buckeyedonna

We're booked for Alaska on Celebrity in August, 2021. We originally planned on just riding the train. But now my husband is thinking he'd like to do a combo tour with the train and a crossing into BC to hike and cross a suspension bridge.  Has anyone done such a combo tour? I'm wondering if we'll see enough scenery on the rail part of the tour. I plan to contact Celebrity, but it takes a while for them to get back to you with specific info. Thanks in advance!

I have not done the tour to the suspension bridge.  However, we did the bus ride into B.C. and returned by train from Frasor.  You'll actually see more scenery by doing this since the bus route is slightly different than the train, which is the same route in both directions. 

Here is a link to some pictures from that day.

Mark and Karen Alaska 2011 (shutterfly.com)

I went all the way to Carcross by train with a bus return - we saw the bridge but it was not part of the tour.  The best way to examine all of your options is to visit the website www.cruiseportinsider.com and look at the various tours offered in Skagway. It also shows the rest of AK ports.

• 2 months later...

Personally, I think the Suspension Bridge is overrated.  I went there by rental car on a self-drive to Emerald Lake.  The drive was great, including bear sightings and awesome landscapes.  The Suspension Bridge was not worth the price, IMO.

Another thing to consider is renting a car and driving yourself. It will cost A LOT less than the train/bus. There is only one road between Skagway and Carcross so you can't get lost. The road parallels the train tracks most of the way so you'll see many of the same sights. The best part is that by driving yourself is, you can stop where you want, when you want and for how long you want. You won't be tied to the train/bus schedule.