Copenhagen some ideas on how to enjoy your port day.

Excellent suggestions - I’ll like to add my favorites 

Rosenborg Castle

A castle in the center of Copenhagen.  The castle was originally built as a gazebo by Christian IV 1606-1607 in a newly laid out park, Kongens Have, outside Copenhagen's ramparts - later extended to a magnificent castle which was the residence of the kings until 1710. It is built in Dutch Renaissance style.

Today it is a cultural history museum, The Danish Kings' “Chronological Collection”, which tells the history of the Danish kings through 300 years from Christian IV around 1600 to Frederik VII's death in 1863 and exhibits the Danish crown regalia and crown jewels as well as Denmark's throne.

Amalienborg Castle (Residence of the Queen and Crown Prince)

Amalienborg Castle, which surrounds the beautiful square with the equestrian statue of Frederik V from 1771, consists of four identical mansions.  Moltke's Palace, (Christian VII's Palace, guest palace), Levetzau's Palace, (Christian VIII's Palace, guest house for Prince Joachim and Princess Benedikte), Christian IX's Palace (Queen's residence) and Brockdorff's Palace (Frederik VIII's Palace, Crown Prince's residence)  - here you will also find Amalienborg Museum.  At the museum you experience the history of the royal family.

The Royal Life Guard change

Amalienborg is also known for the Royal Guards.  Every day you can experience the guards change. The Guards march from Rosenborg Castle through the streets of Copenhagen to end at Amalienborg, where the change of guard takes place at  12:00.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 1/10/2021 at 3:54 PM, hallasm said:

Excellent suggestions - I’ll like to add my favorites 

Rosenborg Castle

A castle in the center of Copenhagen.  The castle was originally built as a gazebo by Christian IV 1606-1607 in a newly laid out park, Kongens Have, outside Copenhagen's ramparts - later extended to a magnificent castle which was the residence of the kings until 1710. It is built in Dutch Renaissance style.

Today it is a cultural history museum, The Danish Kings' “Chronological Collection”, which tells the history of the Danish kings through 300 years from Christian IV around 1600 to Frederik VII's death in 1863 and exhibits the Danish crown regalia and crown jewels as well as Denmark's throne.

Amalienborg Castle (Residence of the Queen and Crown Prince)

Amalienborg Castle, which surrounds the beautiful square with the equestrian statue of Frederik V from 1771, consists of four identical mansions.  Moltke's Palace, (Christian VII's Palace, guest palace), Levetzau's Palace, (Christian VIII's Palace, guest house for Prince Joachim and Princess Benedikte), Christian IX's Palace (Queen's residence) and Brockdorff's Palace (Frederik VIII's Palace, Crown Prince's residence)  - here you will also find Amalienborg Museum.  At the museum you experience the history of the royal family.

The Royal Life Guard change

Amalienborg is also known for the Royal Guards.  Every day you can experience the guards change. The Guards march from Rosenborg Castle through the streets of Copenhagen to end at Amalienborg, where the change of guard takes place at  12:00.

Some good suggestions there also, we really enjoyed our visit to the city.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2021 at 7:18 PM, Onelung said:

Another vote for the Rosenborg Castle, very interesting with lovely gardens and easy to get to on the HoHo bus.

Yes we did the bus but missed the castle tour so will give it a look if and when we return. 

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, DavietheScot said:

Copenhagen booked again for next year

Welcome back - certainly hope for ‘normal time’  by 2022  - Denmark population should be fully vaccinated by then and hopefully the pandemic history.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 7:04 PM, hallasm said:

Welcome back - certainly hope for ‘normal time’  by 2022  - Denmark population should be fully vaccinated by then and hopefully the pandemic history.

Let's hope so and looking forward to visiting again.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

We were in Copenhagen on a Monday after a cruise. It was years ago (2007) so I don't remember much, but I do remember that being a Monday most major museums were closed which disappointed DW who is an art teacher. I remember going to the Little Mermaid, and being disappointed. Rick Steves actually calls out the most overrated tourist attraction.

Two things I remember is that the weather kept changing and we spent a lot of the local currency. When we left our hotel, the weather was beautiful. Before the days was out, there was all kinds of weather including rain. We were easily spotted while shivering wet and cold as tourists.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2021 at 5:12 PM, ontheweb said:

We were in Copenhagen on a Monday after a cruise. It was years ago (2007) so I don't remember much, but I do remember that being a Monday most major museums were closed which disappointed DW who is an art teacher. I remember going to the Little Mermaid, and being disappointed. Rick Steves actually calls out the most overrated tourist attraction.

Two things I remember is that the weather kept changing and we spent a lot of the local currency. When we left our hotel, the weather was beautiful. Before the days was out, there was all kinds of weather including rain. We were easily spotted while shivering wet and cold as tourists.

To be fair re the weather that could be said about most Northern European cities it especially rings true for me coming from Scotland,  as we say here we can have the four seasons in one day ... Spring Summer Autumn Winter !! 😊

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DavietheScot said:

To be fair re the weather that could be said about most Northern European cities it especially rings true for me coming from Scotland,  as we say here we can have the four seasons in one day ... Spring Summer Autumn Winter !! 😊

We've been in Scotland both on a land trip and on a cruise. I guess we were lucky as we never experienced that type of weather change like we did that day in Copenhagen.

DW is actually half Scottish as her father was a Scotsman. After being an RAF flyer in World War II, he emigrated to America to work for British Airlines, though I guess it was still BOAC back then

• 2 months later...
On 10/7/2021 at 11:44 PM, ontheweb said:

We've been in Scotland both on a land trip and on a cruise. I guess we were lucky as we never experienced that type of weather change like we did that day in Copenhagen.

DW is actually half Scottish as her father was a Scotsman. After being an RAF flyer in World War II, he emigrated to America to work for British Airlines, though I guess it was still BOAC back then

BOAC now there is a name from the past. 😀 when flying was truely a luxury experience.