First time in FT Lauderdale—which hotel/motel?

disneyochem

Hello, we have a Panama Canal Cruise booked out of Ft Lauderdale in January 2022.  We’ve been to Florida a number of times (Disney, Crystal Springs) but this will be our first time visiting Ft Lauderdale.  We want to stay in a place that will give us the South Florida experience—food, culture, beach—before our cruise.  We are arriving via Amtrak late in the day a couple of days before our cruise from visiting family in Washington DC.  We don’t want to rent a car.  We’re comfortable (and don’t mind paying for) with public transport, taxis and Ubers so don’t necessarily need a place with a port shuttle.

I’m looking at a number of places that might give us a feel for the area—Snooze Inn, Riverside Hotel, High Noon Resort—and avoiding the big chain resorts.  After all of this craziness, I’m committed to supporting locally owned establishments when possible.  Interested in being close to the water taxi, nature, and dining.  I’d like to keep the budget to $250/night but am willing to go higher if necessary.

Thank you!  Stay safe.

Edited by disneyochem

2 hours ago, disneyochem said:

We are arriving via Amtrak late in the day

On the Silver Meteor?  I have done such on Amtrak from Washington, D. C.  Be prepared with telephone numbers of a taxi company (I used Yellow Cab) or have Uber numbers ready to go.  When my train arrived later in the evening than it was scheduled, there was only one or two taxis available and they were quickly hired.  I had the Yellow Cab number and called them.  It took somewhat longer than the time quoted before the taxi arrived.  

I prefer Marriott affiliated properties.  The Courtyard might be an option for you.  Marriott Harbor Beach is a delight, but it's probably going to be out of your price range.  I am not familiar with the hotels you mentioned other than the Riverside.  It has a great reputation, but is not near the beach, I don't think.  The Courtyard is across the street from the beach.  

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

On the Silver Meteor?  I have done such on Amtrak from Washington, D. C.  Be prepared with telephone numbers of a taxi company (I used Yellow Cab) or have Uber numbers ready to go.  When my train arrived later in the evening than it was scheduled, there was only one or two taxis available and they were quickly hired.  I had the Yellow Cab number and called them.  It took somewhat longer than the time quoted before the taxi arrived.  

I prefer Marriott affiliated properties.  The Courtyard might be an option for you.  Marriott Harbor Beach is a delight, but it's probably going to be out of your price range.  I am not familiar with the hotels you mentioned other than the Riverside.  It has a great reputation, but is not near the beach, I don't think.  The Courtyard is across the street from the beach.  

Thank you for your response!  Yes, it is the Silver Meteor.  We travel enough by train that I always have either a taxi or an Uber/Lyft ready to go whenever the train does arrive!

Will look into the Courtyard.  The Marriott brand is the only hotel rewards program that I actively use so definitely worth looking into.  

Thanks again.

Without a doubt, The Riverside Hotel.

It's an historic, South Florida Hotel right on the New River which is the main artery through Fort Lauderdale.  It is surrounded by tons of shopping, dining, and attractions.  There is a Water Taxi spot at The Riverside.  It is the heart of beautiful Las Olas Boulevard.

The Boathouse, the onsite, waterfront restaurant is excellent.  I love the pool area also on the water.  You are two miles from the ocean.

Get a room in the new area, the views are from The Everglades to the ocean, all the way to Miami.