Alaska 2021 Cancelled

dpavid

19 hours ago, jetact said:

Have you read one forecast that has been right? All of these people predict doom and gloom and hype this to no end. If all of the predictions came true we would all be dead by now. They change these numbers every month and are always wrong. Medical training does not mean they are a good guesser. If people want to cruise let them as they know the problem and choose to take the trip. 

Too true! Maybe it plays to people's desire to find the "magic" solution that will work for everybody, everywhere. Some countries, like New Zealand, have had near total lock downs, with positive outcomes. Other places, like New York State, have implemented draconian measures and still lost tons of people. And then there's Florida, with the 2nd highest elderly population (Maine is 1st) but 26th in the nation in deaths, and, relatively speaking, a more open society. So do lock downs work, or no? Will vaccines solve the problem, or not? I find it immensely frustrating that I just don't know. I don't know that anybody does, at least not 100%. But I can say this: I don't like the prospect of living in a world where I can't see people's faces, can't hug, can't shake hands, and can't properly interact with other people. That's not why I travel, to live in an antiseptic bubble. That's not living, it's just not dying.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dmdiver said:

28 degrees right now.  I will welcome being above freezing.  We got a little more sleet/snow last night. We've been fortunate that our power hasn't gone out.  I know some that have been out for days.  Our hot tub has icicles hanging off the cover from the condensation.  Still a toasty 104 degrees inside though.  I'd love to be in it, but I sure would dread getting out. My main concern right now is my outdoor faucets. They're covered, but I worry that isn't enough.  Plumbers are gonna be real busy when the thawing begins.

I feel for those in TX and other places that aren't used to this kind of weather.  I live in Indiana - we were out in the hot tub last night, in 10 degree weather.  As long as it's not windy, it's not that bad.  I actually feel a lot colder when I'm getting in than getting out - when getting out, my skin/body is nice and toasty warm, so the cold doesn't penetrate as much, as long as you don't stand there for a long time (I hop into my flip flops, pull on my robe, and run inside, so I'm only out in the cold for 30 seconds or so anyway).  I would absolutely recommend hot tubbing in the cold - it's great.  🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Too true! Maybe it plays to people's desire to find the "magic" solution that will work for everybody, everywhere. Some countries, like New Zealand, have had near total lock downs, with positive outcomes. Other places, like New York State, have implemented draconian measures and still lost tons of people. And then there's Florida, with the 2nd highest elderly population (Maine is 1st) but 26th in the nation in deaths, and, relatively speaking, a more open society. So do lock downs work, or no? Will vaccines solve the problem, or not? I find it immensely frustrating that I just don't know. I don't know that anybody does, at least not 100%. But I can say this: I don't like the prospect of living in a world where I can't see people's faces, can't hug, can't shake hands, and can't properly interact with other people. That's not why I travel, to live in an antiseptic bubble. That's not living, it's just not dying.

Of all the things I would like to see go back to normal, hand shaking is not one of them. I always found it awkward, like men are afraid they are going to break you if they give you a real handshake so they do this whimpy thing where they try to shake your hand with just the tips of their fingers.

And then I feel like when someone puts out their hanf for a handshake, it is like saying "here, have my germs".

• Haha 1

Rebooked my cruise for 2022 & staying optimistic.  I really miss cruising.  

Electro, I know what you mean by the fingertip handshake.  I worked for an insurance company & shook a lot of hands.  I usually got a surprised look because I apparently have a strong handshake for a woman.  Maybe comes from years of dealing with horses.  Anyway, had to laugh about the germ comment.  We typically shake hands or hug at church - well not this year, but back before covid.  I'm sure I've been handed plenty of germs.  Hopefully, it just made my immune system stronger.