The possible new rules and the flavor of cruising

mredandchis

3 hours ago, jfunk138 said:

It's way too early to give credit to the vaccine for falling numbers.  Israel has vaccinated 4 times as many:  Israel 96 shots/100 people vs US 23 shots / 100 people.  Nonetheless their new case rate is more than double that of the US.  The current downtrend is due to natural immunity or seasonality, this is little evidence that such low rates of vaccination will make a huge difference.

Cases:
https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&time=2020-11-14..latest&country=USA~ISR&region=World&casesMetric=true&interval=smoothed&perCapita=true&smoothing=7&pickerMetric=new_cases_per_million&pickerSort=desc

Vaccinations:

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&time=2020-11-14..latest&country=USA~ISR&region=World&vaccinationsMetric=true&interval=total&perCapita=true&smoothing=0&pickerMetric=new_cases_per_million&pickerSort=desc

I like a point of view that is based on fact. Better than listening to MSM.   I also dig around ourworldindata and a few others. 

Israel has had a different method of rolling out the vaccine and did one dose and postponed the second.   They also reported to pfizer that one dose in persons over 65 was only 33 percent effective in their studies.  The Israeli new cases are up, the cumulative cases per mill are also higher,  but the death rate is dropping. Just .7 fatality rate compared to 1.8 for the US. They also dont have the hospitalizations the US is having and the new serious infections are in younger people rather that 65 plus as it was pre vaccine.

It is difficult to get ones head around all the data. Then add that they are not using all the same vaccines that the US are using.  Their medical system is different and population is dense on the whole.  

All that said it doesn't appear on the surface that the vaccine is working like a magic bullet but then give them 30 more days and see what come of it all.  I get my second shot monday and then have to wait 2 weeks for it to be fully effective.  

• Like 2

I wish that the US would  just make some forward progress.  Give the cruise lines the next steps in the framework.  Release the rules and guidelines. I  have a June cruise booked and accept that it probably won't happen.  I just want to see the test cruise running. I want to know what the guidelines will be so that I can make an informed decision about cancelling before March 31st. 

The big deal breaker from me is only being allowed to leave the ship on sponsored excursions.  I don't really like group excursions.  I could handle a short cruises to the private island but never a 7 day to multiple locations.  I noticed today that the UK is doing some "cruises to nowhere". Just  want the US to start making some clear decisions on the future of cruising. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, slduck said:

I wish that the US would  just make some forward progress.  Give the cruise lines the next steps in the framework.  Release the rules and guidelines. I  have a June cruise booked and accept that it probably won't happen.  I just want to see the test cruise running. I want to know what the guidelines will be so that I can make an informed decision about cancelling before March 31st. 

The big deal breaker from me is only being allowed to leave the ship on sponsored excursions.  I don't really like group excursions.  I could handle a short cruises to the private island but never a 7 day to multiple locations.  I noticed today that the UK is doing some "cruises to nowhere". Just  want the US to start making some clear decisions on the future of cruising. 

Yeah June is very optimistic, I have one for Sept that I am not so sure about.  

Right now all we have is to inch toward herd immunity.  Masks and social distancing help but are not THE answer.  And do remember the CDC is a bureaucracy and they will have several internal meeting  and then over kill to be sure.  

One big issue we also have is where to go..... Nassau hasn't even started vaccines yet as some other islands and even central america,  

So lets say we can load a ship with people that are vaccinated or testing negative and we set sail to where?  half moon? That will work but Grand Turk?  Maybe if they control port access,  Amber Cove ?  again maybe .  Landing becomes a inherent danger.  So we need the ports to also have some herd immunity.  

Most of us have places we go to at the ports.  And now they are off limits.  People love to get a cab and head for a fav beach , bar or resturant.  Cant do that until the port of call is ready.  

• Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 4:41 AM, BoozinCroozin said:

It was on the news yesterday and I am not sure why I can't see it elsewhere that Biden said there will be enough vaccines in the US for everyone eligible to be vaccinated by the end of May. Reading a little between the lines, I would assume Novavax is going to be approved in the next few weeks. That gives us Moderna, Pfizer, J&J, and Novavax. 

We can draw a few assumptions and conclusions from this. First assumption is Biden's comment is accurate. Even though I swing slightly more across the center line to the other side, I think this statement is fairly accurate. Second assumption is that Odyssey is successful in May for RCL. This will prove the protocols work. Add in the other ships sailing, it is enough evidence to prove the point. These lead me to believe that June 1 could be the start of cruising in the US with the same requirements. I don't believe there would need to be any restrictions on a ship for capacity. However, I think the cruise lines would agree to it just to sail. I think limiting it to 2/3 capacity would be more than enough.

1. Everyone that can be vaccinate must be vaccinated
  2. Those that cannot be vaccinated agree to negative covid test 3 days prior to embarkation, daily temperature checks, and take at a covid test mid-cruise.

There can be no exceptions if all cruisers are required to be vaccinated.  If you can’t get vaccinated, you don’t cruise!

6 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

There can be no exceptions if all cruisers are required to be vaccinated.  If you can’t get vaccinated, you don’t cruise!

There are things I am not allowed to do due to my pacemaker.  I have adapted to the changes I have had to make in my life.  I am sure people will be very disappointed if they are not allowed to cruise - especially if not taking the vaccine is a personal choice.  I am also sure that there MAY be exceptions - people who can't take the vaccine for medical reasons.  For them maybe there will be stringent testing requirements.

• Like 1