The Daily for Sunday Mar 07, 2021

richwmn

Three years ago today, the Zaadam was sailing for The Falkland Islands. Being it was a sea day, I will again pick up my story from February 28 in Foz du Iguacu (the Brazilian side of the Falls).

Breakfast at the Melia was included and what a breakfast spread they put on: Fresh hot local foods, dulce de leche with several marmalades, fresh local fruit, (including Passion Fruit), fresh pastries and Passion fruit yogurt, etc. Oh my!)

IMG_4974.thumb.jpg.9b766e20b0b012a3d35b888a54a5f66c.jpg

The patio area at the Melia:

IMG_4983.thumb.jpg.e25252873f2706bb3de8248ed891a3eb.jpg

The tour company sent a car to pick me up so I could join the bus near the border. There were perhaps 20 of us on the tour to the Brazilian side. Going through immigration was easy as the guide handled everything, and soon we were turning into the National Park gate.

We had another beautiful day. While the Brazilian park is much smaller, there are some magnificent, panoramic views, mostly looking across the gorge into the Argentine side.

1028581723_DSC_4440-Copy.thumb.JPG.d31af62fca914411bbacb8a05f0e1f60.JPG

And Brazil has access to the lower part of Devil’s Throat (the middle “stair”, where you walk across the metal “grate trail” to below the thundering falls).

DSC_4504.thumb.jpg.eb75f937ec223921d5c562cc60305fc0.jpg

At the top of Devil’s Throat is the Argentine access, where you look over the precipice. (I posted a few pictures from the top yesterday.) It was so misty that you really can’t see the Brazilian section very well.

So the water falls over the cliff from Argentina and lands in Brazil. A short trail winds down the cliff to the foot of Devil’s Throat. Those who want to can follow the metal trail over the water for a closer look.

IMG_4999.thumb.jpg.5610ebb32f675365c67edf7df53b4009.jpg

hIMG_0824.thumb.jpg.a7c0e2529a4de657632ee681bb88493e.jpg

We got soaked. Soaked. To the skin.

And I would do it again in a heartbeat. 

🙂

bDSC_4467.thumb.jpg.ecad1970403e7a8567847ec517067a10.jpgbDSC_4468.thumb.jpg.dc686e5693ee0a41df6f530fc4d2cf03.jpgbDSC_4479.thumb.jpg.0d30872f0b1cfb970583dce29d68a9fb.jpgDSC_4491.thumb.jpg.08b703162123a41bf8d52c6f7e6dda0b.jpgDSC_4502.thumb.JPG.ad5a54559b7e03ac4929f075c2ed8e7f.JPGhDSC_4485.thumb.jpg.b9f7461ca1cd74683d834e1ec42ccc03.jpg

After visiting the park we went to a buffet set up for tours where they had Brazilian food, and just about every other kind you can imagine.

And then it was on to visit the Bird Park, which functions as a place for rehabilitation of many local birds. Those who are able to return safely to the wild after recovery are released back into the wild. Many end up living out their lives in the safety of the park, if their condition warrants it.

DSC_4606.thumb.JPG.32521caf0eea5220a3402495c73924fc.JPGDSC_4640.thumb.jpg.2efacafa82528a074f6ccfad6b674e13.jpg

I’m glad I got to visit both sides of the Falls, because they are different, and spectacular in their own ways.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 13

3 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

@Sharon in AZ I've got to make these Crash Potatoes for DH. I know he would love them. I made Hasselbacks a couple of times and last weekend i presented DH with a plain baked potato, and he said "you could have made the ones with the cuts."  I suspect it's not about the potato with him, but what goes on it. 

Like I said we love potatoes and Hasselbacks are also a favorite. However, the humble baked potato is a favorite too. My mother gets upset if she doesn’t have enough toppings!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Trying to upload a short video 

This was from my balcony.  I guess the file compressed a lot and the audio is really suffering. In the original you can hear the water and lots of birds. 

Excellent!!  And I can hear the water and the birds!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Excellent!!  And I can hear the water and the birds!

But the original is so much better. 😥

I might have a “sanitized” short version of just the falls somewhere that maybe I’ll post.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DFD1 said:

Amtrack still passes through here (Winter Haven), but I don't believe it stops anymore.

I love railway stories. Thank you for this one......Those were the days....

Both the Silver Meteor and the Silver Star stop in Winter Haven, though with their reduced schedule, only one of them runs per day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was named for both my grandmothers - It would have been Cornelia Luanna - but my mother said with Cornelia I would have always been 'Corny' or 'Nelly' and said NO. She took the 'i' and 'n' out and scrambled it a bit to make Carole - why it has an 'e' on the end. Plus Carole Lombard had popularized the spelling. She the cut down my middle name to just Lou - Making me Carole Lou - but still acceptable. My brother has my father's middle name and my sister's my mother's name reversed.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Happily@Sea said:

Both the Silver Meteor and the Silver Star stop in Winter Haven, though with their reduced schedule, only one of them runs per day.

Thanks for the update. That's good to know. This area is experiencing a lot of growth. I hope enough for them to continue to make this a stop.