A question

Diane67B

4 minutes ago, Diane67B said:

I have a cruise booked for January 16 2022. If they land up switching home ports from Miami to another port, will my cruise be cancelled or would I just start at the different port?

No one knows for sure, but most likely you'll be cancelled. All those newly cancelled cruises because ships are being deployed? My guess is that they will move to different ports and we'll have a new batch of cruises. There's a difference between an itinerary change where you start from the same port and sail to different ports and a completely different cruise where you have a different home port.

• Like 1

When the pandemic began, we had a cruise booked from Hong-Kong to Shanghai on Celebrity with associated flights by Flights by Celebrity.

When the virus showed its ugly face in China, our cruise and flights were changed to depart Tokyo and arrive in Singapore.... That would have been a slightly different cruise than expected but still nice..... unfortunately the virus progresses rapidly, and was cancelled two weeks after all the changes for the flight and cruise were made.

So, OP, in answer to your question, cruise line changed the ports and “kept us on board”. From a business perspective, it would seem to make sense. Why cancel all existing reservations... only to have to resell all the cabins from scratch? This said, if the change of itinerary is significant, passengers should be given the option to stay on the new itinerary or cancel.

But, take this information with a grain of salt. I am not an expert and these days, cruise lines seems to be evaluating each scenario almost on a case by case basis. So, surprises could happen! 

• Like 1

Hi @Diane67B, I would expect that if your cruise, really any cruise going forward, had a significant itinerary change, a home port would qualify IMO, the cruse would be a cancel and redeploy.  Would NCL do what other cruise lines do and offer just a change of departure port, I doubt it. 

IMO, it would most likely be a cancellation.  I have a cruise booked in May 2022 and am still not sure it will sail.  The pandemic has caused so much disruption that it's made it difficult for anyone to know what the future will bring. 

I wish you the best and hope your cruise itinerary remains intact. 

Good luck

• Like 1