Airline vs cruise ships

negn

As a long time cruiser, with my fingers crossed for November, I finally just did a land vacation. I flew in a packed plane with no social distancing and no need for vaccines.  Why not allow cruise ships with reduced capacity and all passengers fully vaccinated?  Is it because most ships do not fly under American flag ?  Are the motives financial or political ?  

If you are speaking of the motivations are medical.

Many differences but here are a few:

1) Different air input and filtration systems

2) Duration measured in hours, not days

3) A flight is rarely more than an hour from emergency hospitalizations (domestic) or several hours (transoceanic).  A cruise could be days away.  

4) There is plenty of evidence of large outbreaks on ships (Diamond Princess, e.g.) and deaths but very few on aircraft. 

And yes, fully vaccinated will be the key going forward.  The CDC has made a number of changes in the last 7-10 days (indoor gathering standards loosened, school standards loosened, needs for masks changed) and I think will make adjustments to the cruise line directives but not until we get a higher % of vaccinated and they see the progression of the various strains that are now causing problems. 

• Like 2

On 3/25/2021 at 12:54 PM, ECCruise said:

If you are speaking of the motivations are medical.

Many differences but here are a few:

1) Different air input and filtration systems

2) Duration measured in hours, not days

3) A flight is rarely more than an hour from emergency hospitalizations (domestic) or several hours (transoceanic).  A cruise could be days away.  

4) There is plenty of evidence of large outbreaks on ships (Diamond Princess, e.g.) and deaths but very few on aircraft. 

1) filtration system in airplanes might be better but therefore the number of people on the same area is much higher

2) the only important factor is the amount of time spent next to each other. On cruise ships this could be 0 minutes,in a full airplane it can be 5 hours.

3)You could solve this issue by making cruises only close to the coastal line.And also it is usually not the matter or problem of emergency cases but it is the matter of the virus spreading around.

4) But there is also evidence that cruises can be operated safely. The german TUI cruises operates with 2-3 ships since July 2020 and till now had only 4 cases(on one cruise,only 60 people had to be isolated for a short time, no further outbreak.) So it is proven that it is possible to operate cruises.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 2:35 PM, CaptainHazelwood said:

Cruises are strictly for fun.  Airplanes are mostly for business.  Those in charge aren't interested in "fun."

I live in Montana, most plane travel here is for fun, recreation, vacation. With Covid the need to go to the office or travel for business has diminished greatly.

I think the big difference is planes are basically or simply transportation, while cruises are transportation, housing, entertainment, dining and shopping all wrapped up into one.

CDC can get away stopping cruise as the pressure to be able to cruise is drastically different than the pressure from the public if flights were all cancelled.

On 3/25/2021 at 4:35 PM, CaptainHazelwood said:

Cruises are strictly for fun.  Airplanes are mostly for business.  Those in charge aren't interested in "fun."

Business travel during this pandemic has been almost nil. Flying has been mostly for pleasure.

58 minutes ago, CaptainHazelwood said:

You guys are taking me way to literally.

Maybe add some smiley faces or tongue in cheek emojis. A good laugh is worth it but wasted if you don't convey it.