Best way to get from port to hotel

stephensfamily5

Definitely not the best place in the world to disembark with luggage.

It's a tender port (for all ships).

Since the cruise line has agreed that you can disembark there, you'll have help to get your luggage on & off the tender. (You do have their permission to disembark there, don't you?    If not, I suggest you contact them immediately)

Tenders take you to a jetty at the foot of the cliffs below Fira. There's no road. Three ways to leave that jetty.........

1. Zig-zag path up the cliff to Fira. Folk don't walk up, even without luggage. Donkeys (actually they're mules) carry folk up the zig-zag path, but no chance that they'll carry luggage

2. Cablecar up to Fira. I guess luggage wouldn't be a logistical problem but the service is seriously over-subscribed, and you might find yourselves quite unpopular.

3. A small ferry from that pier north to Oia. I've never taken it, or even seen it - you could do with advice from someone who knows. There's a road from Amoundi harbour at Oia up to the town - shuttlebus included in the ferry fare, and taxis & buses available in Oia.

But I think your best option by far is to blag your way onto a tender which takes ships' excursion passengers to the ferry port at Athinios.

On Santorini there are two separate tender services from the ship :

Passengers who've not booked an excursion are tendered a short distance to the jetty below Fira - with it's limited options.

But ships' excursionists are tendered south to the ferry port at Athinios, where a road comes down to the harbour. Excursionists then board coaches, but there are also buses and taxis at the harbour. So if you can take a tender that goes to Athinios, that would be by far the simplest option.

But can I stress you do need the cruise line's permission to disembark on Santorini and, if necessary, to take an excursionists' tender.

And, since cruise lines' left hands don't always know what their right hands are doing, you really could do with getting permission/s in writing & take a printed copy with you.

It'll be difficult to pre-book a taxi from either Fira or Athinios because due to tendering you won't be able to give the operator even a vague pick-up time. 

Assuming you don't miss too much of the cruise that you've paid for, Santorini is a great place to unwind for a few days.

If you can't get an OK from the cruise line, consider a ferry or flight from your cruise's disembarkation port.

https://santorinidave.com/santorini-port

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189433-i245-k11688665-Taxi_from_Athinios_port_to_Kamari-Santorini_Cyclades_South_Aegean.html

Santorini, Greece: Gem of the Aegean - Debbee's Buzz

The path & cablecar from the tender jetty up to Fira. Search Fira on Googleimages for more, and for the glorious elevated views of the caldera & cruise ships from Fira.

And whilst on Googleimages also check out Oia and Athinios harbours.

You've got work to do - I wish you good luck 🙂

JB 🙂

JB has it right.  If your disembarkation port is Athens, consider flying to Santorini from there. It is a 30 minute flight.  Plenty of taxis at the Santorini airport.  Ships disembark in Athens after the time of the morning ferries to Santorini.  You can go to the airport and fly to Santorini and arrive even before the morning ferry gets there.

Marazul, our hotel is in Fira.  We had hoped to avoid an extra flight, as Santorini is our last port.  I know that Fantasy Travel has offered some tours that include cruises on the Celestyal which disembark at Santorini, so I know that it's possible. 

We discussed it with a NCL travel consultant, and were told that, as long as we are aware they cannot guarantee the stop, and realize that it is a tender port, that we could disembark since both the embarkation and debarkation ports are both Greece.  However, it would be a good idea to get it in writing.  

I knew that tendering might be a little difficult, but I did not realize how hard it might be once we were on land...

Hallasm, thanks for the videos.  It gives me a better idea of what we will be facing.

Thank you for your suggestions.  I guess I will continue to research and consider our options.

Edited by stephensfamily5

2 hours ago, stephensfamily5 said:

Marazul, our hotel is in Fira.  We had hoped to avoid an extra flight, as Santorini is our last port.  I know that Fantasy Travel has offered some tours that include cruises on the Celestyal which disembark at Santorini, so I know that it's possible. 

We discussed it with a NCL travel consultant, and were told that, as long as we are aware they cannot guarantee the stop, and realize that it is a tender port, that we could disembark since both the embarkation and debarkation ports are both Greece.  However, it would be a good idea to get it in writing.  

I knew that tendering might be a little difficult, but I did not realize how hard it might be once we were on land...

Hallasm, thanks for the videos.  It gives me a better idea of what we will be facing.

Thank you for your suggestions.  I guess I will continue to research and consider our options.

Celestyal, ferries and other vessels dock at the port of Athinios.  From there you just walk out of the ship and to the taxis. No problem.  All other cruise ships tender at Fira because of the view and because it is not their final destination. I think it would be a terrific hassle to tender out with your luggage. If you decide to tender, the best suggestion was JB's to get on a tour tender that goes to Athinios. 

BTW, sometimes cruise ships miss the Santorini stop because of high winds.  Do consider flying back from Athens.

Good luck. I hope you find the right connections. 

Edited by marazul

7 hours ago, stephensfamily5 said:

You’re welcome. 
I have disembarked in the last port sometimes - technically possible, in Santorini, but a plan B is needed in case the port is canceled.  If you wait until after lunch to get off the tables there will not be many with the tender boat and no queue at the cable car.

Nice Island when not too many tourists.