Holland American - Volendam Opinion - Anyone been on it in the past two years

Longwood50

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Yes, I recall that it does, but, I have not used it.  It's located along the corridor from the Greenhouse Spa to the mid-ship's pool as I recall.

If others' memories are better than mine:  please post!

Oops, intended to respond directly to your post! Thank you, still trying to get the hang of this board. 

17 hours ago, Edhug55 said:

Oops, intended to respond directly to your post! Thank you, still trying to get the hang of this board. 

The big question is; will current Covid restrictions allow use of on board saunas?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2021 at 4:52 PM, rkacruiser said:

Were you as surprised as I was that when we returned to Port Everglades we were docked at Pier 4?  I had my car that the Mid-Port Parking Garage and that proved to be an "interesting", but successful with not as much stress as I expected, to get a taxi from that terminal to my car.  (It was a costly experience, however, with the taxi driver taking me on such a short trip, but, he did take me to my car in the Garage.  Which was most appreciated!)

I am sorry to hear that.  I was on the same cruise and it was the second time I had started a cruise from either pier 19 or 26 that ended at pier 4.  Both times, Port Everglades provided a free shuttle bus from pier 4 to the mid-port garage so I could retrieve the car and didn't need a taxi.  This time, the problem was that I think 7 or 8 ships were in port, thus when I went to get my car parked on the very top deck, the line to pay and exit the garage snaked all the way up to that level.  It took roughly an hour for me to drive to the ground level and pay.  When I did pay, it seemed every cashier spot (payment booth) was staffed; there just were too many people and not enough booths / exit lanes available. 

As for the Volendam herself, I found her interiors (especially carpets) freshly replaced and the ship interiors looked to be in great shape.  The exterior was also not bad.  The a/c in my cabin on main deck was tolerable, but only just (i.e. a bit cooler would have been nice).  The public rooms were a comfortable temperature, however, and I experienced no problems with any plumbing on the ship.  In fact, the first morning the cabin steward had turned the water in the show up to full hot and it was especially scalding; so it is good I tested it before getting in.

The larger (than before) flat screen TVs with on-demand were indeed in place.  The DVD players were gone.  

I noticed HAL updated their ships at a glace chart (downloadable from their web site) as of April 2021.  The Zaandam is listed as the only HAL ship not having the on-demand TV.  In addition, while the Volendam had both Lincoln Center Stage and Billboard Onboard in Dec 2019, the same HAL ships at a glace chart says those have been removed (and they aren't shown as added to Zaandam either).  Granted, elsewhere on the HAL web site, Volendam is listed as still having Billboard Onboard (but not Lincoln Center Stage) so there is certainly some sort of website error (certainly wouldn't be the first), but I wouldn't be surprised if HAL backtracked on adding the extra musicians on the R-class ships.  I was on the Rotterdam (VI) for one cruise when she had the B.B. King Blues Club, but I understand that was removed not long after (and well before HAL sold that ship).  So maybe the same thing happened with Lincoln Center Stage on the Volendam; here yesterday but gone today.

I don't know if HAL will bring back one of their old duos (violin and piano) on the two remaining R-class ships or if (sadly) they just won't bother. 

HAL_Ships_at_a_Glance_Chart_2021-04.pdf

12 hours ago, Modern_Viking said:

Both times, Port Everglades provided a free shuttle bus from pier 4 to the mid-port garage so I could retrieve the car and didn't need a taxi.  This time, the problem was that I think 7 or 8 ships were in port, thus when I went to get my car parked on the very top deck, the line to pay and exit the garage snaked all the way up to that level.  

Greetings shipmate!

Didn't think about a port shuttle!  (Duh! on my part.  I keep learning.)  

I parked on either Level 3 or 4 and found a spot next to the elevator leading to the doorway to Pier 19 where the Volendam was docked.  (I thought I would have a simple transfer from ship terminal to garage when we returned.)  Well, you know the rest of that story.  I do recall that long exit line from the garage.  Don't remember how long it took me to get to the pay booths, but it was less time than what you experienced.

Agree, the ship was in good condition and the crew and their service fully met my expectations.  I enjoyed seeing the Captain and his wife "out and about" frequently.  She was enjoying our New Year's Eve Party!  

Volendam is my favorite HAL ship!  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vic The Parrot said:

Based on your experience, I think I'll grab the opportunity to sail on her this Dec.  

Cheers!

Oh!  What a responsibility I now feel for being a Volendam enthusiastic cruiser!  

My cruises on her have all been long ones:  Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale, her maiden Asia Pacific Cruise, re-positioning from Auckland and Sydney to Vancouver, my 2019-2020 Christmas/New Year's Cruise.  I never wanted to disembark.  When I returned for my second cruise, and for the others, my feeling was "I am home."

I hope you experience the same.  

• Like 2

On 5/2/2021 at 7:47 PM, rkacruiser said:

Yes, I recall that it does, but, I have not used it.  It's located along the corridor from the Greenhouse Spa to the mid-ship's pool as I recall.

If others' memories are better than mine:  please post!

That's actually the setup on the Vista/Signature class ships where there are separate Men's/Women's Dry Saunas (free to use) side by side in the corridor between the forward stair/ elevator/Spa Reception and Lido (midship) Pool - they are directly across from the wall of windows of the Hydrotherapy pool area of the Spa and there are Steam Rooms (co-ed) in the Thermal Suite Area (extra cost).

On Volendam/Zaandam there is a Dry Sauna in each of the 2 locker rooms (Men's/Women's) that are free to use and the Thermal Suite (extra cost) has two Steam Rooms (co-ed).

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 7:06 PM, rkacruiser said:

Oh!  What a responsibility I now feel for being a Volendam enthusiastic cruiser!  

My cruises on her have all been long ones:  Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale, her maiden Asia Pacific Cruise, re-positioning from Auckland and Sydney to Vancouver, my 2019-2020 Christmas/New Year's Cruise.  I never wanted to disembark.  When I returned for my second cruise, and for the others, my feeling was "I am home."

I hope you experience the same.  

Volendam started our love of Holland America cruising. On our first Volendam and cruise together the Cruise Director told us we had the “Bond Suite!” I asked “Bond Suite?” 

He said yes as Sir Roger Moore and wife had our suite on the previous cruise.

That night was our first ever formal night. First cruise we were dressed in tux and formal gown and enjoyed a wonderful evening.

Upon our return to our Neptune Suite I went out on the Verandha and was enjoying the passing sights as we were on Inside Alaskan Passage in early June.

When I reentered from balcony into suite my wife had already gotten into bed. I stood their in front of the bed in my tux and said “Bond James Bond!” 

My wife said “You’re no James Bond and I’m no Pussy Galore, go to bed!”

...and that was the end of my James Bond fantasy!☹️True story!

Today being our 29th wedding anniversary this memory relives; great memories!❤️

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3