Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

We thoroughly enjoyed the Barcelona to Rome cruise on Viking Sky pre Covid. 
We then booked  thereafter the Italian Sojourn , scheduled to sail this July, but canceled three separate  times due to the pandemic. 
When the Bermuda Escape all vaccinated cruise was offered,  we used our vouchers toward the June 15th cruise with accommodations in the Owner’s Suite. 
The flight from Boston is only an 1 1/2 direct to Bermuda only on Jet Blue. There is no business class offered for this short flight ,but extra seat space.
On My Viking Journey, we were able to book dining reservations, but saw no shore excursions were offered for weeks.

Please due your homework as to what is required for entry to Bermuda. Do not rely on the Viking “ experts “ for advise as you will get varying responses, often incorrect.
It seems as of now that the Bermuda Tourist Bureau requires a Covid test three days before arrival ( 1st day being  day 0) and a Travel Authorization Form.

One  would assume that Viking would post these requirements, as the rules change continuously, but assume nothing with Viking. On board the service, hospitality, accommodations, and food are not to be surpassed, but customer service is spotty at best and not reliable.Get any information in writing. customer relations supervisors , will get your concerns addressed.

Having been to Bermuda three times previously, the island is pristine and beautiful. We are lucky living in MA that this welcoming island is an easy getaway.

Best of luck to all passengers!  If you are on the same  June 15th sailing , look us up as suite includes pre dinner parties serving  appetizers and cocktails.

Today is the day (on my Viking Guest Statement) that we are supposed to be able to start booking excursions for the 20 July 2021 sailing out of Hamilton, Bermuda. There is no longer the advisory that excursions are not yet available. Rather, I can step thru the cruise, day by day, to observe there are NO EXCURSIONS LISTED. I'll try later in the day, but I thought I would report this and ask if anyone else - perhaps on earlier cruises - who has some insight into the situation?

1 minute ago, What was that? said:

Today is the day (on my Viking Guest Statement) that we are supposed to be able to start booking excursions for the 20 July 2021 sailing out of Hamilton, Bermuda. There is no longer the advisory that excursions are not yet available. Rather, I can step thru the cruise, day by day, to observe there are NO EXCURSIONS LISTED. I'll try later in the day, but I thought I would report this and ask if anyone else - perhaps on earlier cruises - who has some insight into the situation?

Same here. Everyone will be jumping on at noon PT!🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, What was that? said:

OMG - I'll have to rush home from my errands - car oil change, Total Wine, groceries, gas - it will be a near thing!

Just get extra from Total Wine and then you won’t have to worry about the excursions 😀.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just checked My Viking Journey again. 
No excursions to book available yet. Called Viking and get the same answer... “ excursions are being loaded.”

Excursions show on day by day itinerary, 

but not on My Viking Journey.

Dining reservations were available three weeks ago.

Just checked that Covid level in Bermuda is a Level 4.. the highest. 
That is the reason why shore excursions are not listed. Groups not allowed on the island. Tourists advised not to visit. 
Restaurants are only open for take out. At this point, would not be surprised if ship is just used for a hotel with no passenger on shore allowance. Buy the drink package, you’ll need it!

Or some sailing dates will be cancelled...

situation changes daily.

Edited by Stempy

Hi Stempy,

We are Jim and Becky from Indiana.  We have cruised previously but never with Viking.  We tried to sail with Viking to the Oberammergau on a our first river cruise.  Alas Covid had other plans.  We are rescheduled for next year.  We have some of the same thoughts as you concerning our June 15th sailing.  Primarily that we will not be allowed to leave the ship.  We are hoping Viking will soon issue guidance, including timelines , for preflight requirements.  When we depart plane what can we expect?

We thought all on ship were vaccinated, including crew.  Is this not true?  So many questions and so few answers.  

37 minutes ago, R,D,W said:

Hi Stempy,

We are Jim and Becky from Indiana.  We have cruised previously but never with Viking.  We tried to sail with Viking to the Oberammergau on a our first river cruise.  Alas Covid had other plans.  We are rescheduled for next year.  We have some of the same thoughts as you concerning our June 15th sailing.  Primarily that we will not be allowed to leave the ship.  We are hoping Viking will soon issue guidance, including timelines , for preflight requirements.  When we depart plane what can we expect?

We thought all on ship were vaccinated, including crew.  Is this not true?  So many questions and so few answers.  

For the Welcome Back cruises, Viking have required all pax be fully vaccinated, but made no mention of the crew.

The crew have been advised they will have no shore leave until further notice. At the present time, the crew member we chatted with last night has not had an opportunity to receive a vaccine from his home country - one of the Balkans. They are expecting more information once getting out of quarantine today.

Hi Jim and Becky,

I just spoke with my agent and she said that two to three weeks from sailing Viking will be coming out with all requirements and forms to enter Bermuda. Testing upon return will be done on board.

With Viking Air , transfers are included and a representative will be at the airport. As of today ,independent travelers have to take a Covid test at the airport to enter Bermuda.

I am thinking that Viking should  streamline passenger requirements to make it easier for all involved, since everyone is already vaccinated.

If groups are not allowed on shore, docking is right in the heart of Hamilton ,St. George, and the Naval Shipyard. Everything is in walking distance, if on our own. Would think however, if shore excursions are not allowed,  that some sort of reparation would be expected in the form of a refund or shipboard credit.

It will be interesting how Viking will handle these dilemmas in the next few days.

Am hoping for the best and that we all have a memorable and well deserved  escape. The ship is breathtaking and service and cuisine is beyond 5 stars!

Edited by Stempy
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Stempy said:

Hi Jim and Becky,

I just spoke with my agent and she said that two to three weeks from sailing Viking will be coming out with all requirements and forms to enter Bermuda. Testing upon return will be done on board.

With Viking Air , transfers are included and a representative will be at the airport. As of today ,independent travelers have to take a Covid test at the airport to enter Bermuda.

I am thinking that Viking should  streamline passenger requirements to make it easier for all involved, since everyone is already vaccinated.

If groups are not allowed on shore, docking is right in the heart of Hamilton ,St. George, and the Naval Shipyard. Everything is in walking distance, if on our own. Would think however, if shore excursions are not allowed,  that some sort of reparation would be expected in the form of a refund or shipboard credit.

It will be interesting how Viking will handle these dilemmas in the next few days.

Am hoping for the best and that we all have a memorable and well deserved  escape. The ship is breathtaking and service and cuisine is beyond 5 stars!

The only thing is, passengers are NOT allowed off the ship EXCEPT for Viking shore excursions. So it will not be possible to take a walk.  So many unanswered questions. 

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

For the Welcome Back cruises, Viking have required all pax be fully vaccinated, but made no mention of the crew.

The crew have been advised they will have no shore leave until further notice. At the present time, the crew member we chatted with last night has not had an opportunity to receive a vaccine from his home country - one of the Balkans. They are expecting more information once getting out of quarantine today.

If crew members are dependent on their home country status as a condition of getting a vaccination, this could complicate things considerably. 

Even if South Sudan, etc had a substantial amount of vaccine, sending it 7,000 miles to a handful of their diaspora at sea might not be at the top of their TO DO list

6 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

If crew members are dependent on their home country status as a condition of getting a vaccination, this could complicate things considerably. 

Even if South Sudan, etc had a substantial amount of vaccine, sending it 7,000 miles to a handful of their diaspora at sea might not be at the top of their TO DO list

The issue of mariners receiving vaccinations is an ongoing problem world-wide. If a mariner is at home they can hopefully receive the vaccine, but for those at sea, the responsibility rest with the company.

Our son is involved, being unable to get the vaccine in Germany where he is currently standing-by a new-building. Hopefully he can fly into UK, or wait until he comes home on leave in July.

Unfortunately, I highly doubt many, if any, of the ratings will be vaccinated upon boarding. Therefore, the onus will be on Viking to get the crew vaccines.

Hi Stempy,

Thank you for your quick and thoughtful reply.  I apparently did not perform my due diligence.  I assumed a fully vaccinated cruise meant all aboard.  I did not realize that crew was not included.  I do understand that circumstances surrounding Covid can be fluid and so subject to change.  However, it does seem that before scheduling  and accepting passengers' monies, more definite plans would have been in place.  Perhaps that was not possible.  I do wonder what this floating hotel cruise to nowhere will be like day to day.  As you said, and our TA told us, the service is impeccable.  We so need a break from our current Covid routine. 

We are looking forward to sailing with Viking and meeting what may be our fellow "make the best of it" companions. 🙂

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

The issue of mariners receiving vaccinations is an ongoing problem world-wide. If a mariner is at home they can hopefully receive the vaccine, but for those at sea, the responsibility rest with the company.

Our son is involved, being unable to get the vaccine in Germany where he is currently standing-by a new-building. Hopefully he can fly into UK, or wait until he comes home on leave in July.

Unfortunately, I highly doubt many, if any, of the ratings will be vaccinated upon boarding. Therefore, the onus will be on Viking to get the crew vaccines.

Thank you for your comments.  I hope your son, and all those caught in this mess, are able to obtain vaccines and get on with their lives in a more secure manner.

For what it's worth, I suspect the issue of crew vaccination, or its absence, hasn't been fully comprehended by many prospective travelers.

• Like 1

Just now, Cienfuegos said:

Thank you for your comments.  I hope your son is able to obtain vaccines and get on with his life  in a more secure manner. As well as all mariners and those dependent on the seas for their lives.

For what it's worth, I suspect the issue of crew vaccination, or its absence, hasn't been fully comprehended by many prospective travelers.

1 hour ago, Cienfuegos said:

Thank you for your comments.  I hope your son, and all those caught in this mess, are able to obtain vaccines and get on with their lives in a more secure manner.

Just read this morning that Port Miami is providing vaccines to RCI crews, so a positive step forward.

On 5/1/2021 at 6:05 PM, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

My procedure depends on the requirement being 3 days, not 72 hours.  We are arriving Bermuda on a Saturday.  Here is my plan:

Day 0 (Wed) - Take same-day full-on PCR test at 9am.  Results promised by 8pm.  After getting results, upload test results, fill out on-line form, and submit Travel Authorization request.  And hope the credit card company does not stop the transaction at some point because they suspect fraud...  This will get the request to Bermuda before their 9am-8pm Bermuda-time vetting window on Day 1 (Thurs).

Day 1 (Thurs) - Bite fingernails and drink to excess until we receive the Travel Authorization.  Bermuda promises <24 hours turn-around.   So expect to receive the authorization any time up to 8pm PDT.  Could be very drunk by then...

Day 2 (Fri) - Catch flight to Miami from California.  Stay overnight at a hotel near the airport.  Eat only packaged food to avoid restaurants...  Fret about covid on the pillows, and bedbugs....

Day 3 (Sat) - Catch morning flight to Bermuda.  Since in first class, flog the free booze to calm nerves about the test at BDA...

Jeez-Louise, with all the other tests Viking will administer that we have to pass, will we ever be sober???

I like your thinking....

• Haha 1