Book with TA or Azamara?

clojacks

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Who knows?  But if honest I don't really care. You must do what you think is right at the time you make the booking. No correct answer and it can change with circumstance (as it has for me). 

Phil 

I though I was clear in my original post, but certainly clarified on post #12.  I'm not going to answer the same question multiple times, so everyone is free to choose the answer that works best for them.

21 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I though I was clear in my original post, but certainly clarified on post #12.  I'm not going to answer the same question multiple times, so everyone is free to choose the answer that works best for them.

I'm sorry if you felt the questions were bothersome. To be fair, while your question read like you say it does to me, it could easily have been interpreted by someone else as confusing. 

• Like 2

On 4/12/2021 at 1:23 PM, uktog said:

The main advantage of direct booking is having control over your booking without the need to go through a third party (agent) who may or may not have your best interests at heart.  Certainly those who were due refunds in the last year reported receiving their payments far earlier than those who had used travel agents, some of whom took six months and more to pass the refunds back to the bookers.

If you are confident your agent will genuinely have your interests at heart all the time, there could be advantages booking with agents.

I am puzzled by this.  Most US travel agents do not take/keep your money ever.  They apply your credit card information to the booking directly with the cruise line on your behalf and the cruise line issues refunds directly to that card.  I would never use a travel agency that held my money!  But I do believe in using travel agents for all sorts of reasons.

As to small vs big box TAs, you can have the best of both worlds. Many small TAs, who will give you personalized service and take time to get to know you and what you like, are affiliated with large consortia. If you ask them to, they will keep a lookout for upcoming travel you might be interested in--as long as you tell them what you want. This means that they can often get the same discounts, amenities, etc. as the big box outfits.

If you are worried a small TA won't have clout with the cruise line if trouble arises, be sure to pick one that is affiliated with a larger agency.  In the case the TA is not having luck fighting on your behalf, they can usually invoke the help of the larger agency. best of both worlds on your behalf.

Edited by Gretchendz
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gretchendz said:

I would never use a travel agency that held my money!   

Even though you are talking about a travel agency, the same applies to my point here. This is one reason why I have not, and probably will not sail Viking until the "Full Payment" dating changes. I refuse to pay $20,000 for an item I am not going to receive for, in our case, up to 18 months. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clojacks said:

I'm sorry if you felt the questions were bothersome. To be fair, while your question read like you say it does to me, it could easily have been interpreted by someone else as confusing. 

"I have an Open Passage with Azamara, booked onboard Celebrity."

My answer is not going to change, nor is the likelihood of of anyone's suspicions.  They can research whether this was possible, or assume. 

20 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

You didn't answer the question there either, but I do know the answer. You could not cross pollinate Celebrity and Azamara passage certificates. 

I've booked Azamara Passage Certificates on Celebrity, no problem. Going forward that won't be the case in I'm sure. 

Phil 

5 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

You didn't answer the question there either, but I do know the answer. You could not cross pollinate Celebrity and Azamara passage certificates. 

I've booked Azamara Passage Certificates on Celebrity, no problem. Going forward that won't be the case in I'm sure. 

Phil 

"Cross pollination" is a strawman, but thank you for clarifying what happened.