Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

2 hours ago, Seaharvest said:

On past cruises we have eaten most of our meals at at The Restaurant and request the same section every night so the wait staff and wine steward get to know us, our likes and dislikes so they can make recommendations

This comment raised in my mind the following question. We have made a reservation at the same time each evening in the MDR for the 7 nights of the cruise. I wonder if we will be pre-allocated the same table/service area each evening or we will be randomly distributed around the MDR on different nights? I don’t think I have a preference either way but it did make me wonder as reservations for the MDR is all new to us. 

Just now, Travel2Learn said:

Do you have to show a card when ordering?  That would negate the convenience for me.  

You just quote your cabin number. After a while the wine steward or bar tender normally remember it.

9 minutes ago, Travel2Learn said:

Same table or server each night makes the trip more enjoyable

A part of me agrees with this but I also enjoy conversing with a variety of different passengers and would possibly prefer not to have the same “near” table neighbours at every dinner time. 

• Like 3

We enjoy moving around a bit - different views, different neighbors, different servers.  But then the last time we were on Viking Oceans we were on for 50 days, so we had lots of opportunity to move around.  But, if you don't like where they seat you, then ask for a different area - they are usually willing to work with you if they have other tables available.  Everyone is different with their preferences - although the tables with a view are pretty much everyone's favorite, particularly as it will be light outside.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seaharvest said:

On past cruises we have eaten most of our meals at at The Restaurant and request the same section every night so the wait staff and wine steward get to know us, our likes and dislikes so they can make recommendations. They would also sometimes challenge me to try something new and different.  The wine steward would ask us what we were getting for each course and then pair an appropriate wine with that course. He would tell me why he made this selection. It made every meal that much more fun and adventurous. Add a cocktail in the Explorer’s Lounge before dinner and the SSP more than paid for itself. 

We did the same on the 20 WC. Once we found some waiters we really enjoyed we used one of 2 tables for most of the cruise. While pre-COVID, the host couldn't reserve tables, at least 1 of them was held for us, unless another pax specifically requested them.

Once they saw us arriving, the initial drinks were procured and were often arriving at the same time we sat down.

22 hours ago, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

We're in the same boat (pun intended😜) although we're on the July 3rd sailing. I've emailed tell-us, spoken to several different Viking people and what they said to me was that we have 3 options...

1. keep looking every single day and hopefully more optional tours will open

2. cancel the trip before the 14 day mark

3. take the trip with the possibility of sitting on the ship without going on any tours

None of the options are appealing but I'll probably wait and see how things play out and if I need to cancel then I will. 

Were you able to book the included tours and just not any of the optional ones? Or do you still have days with no excursions? Thanks

This was just posted 5 hours ago by a Viking traveler to Bermuda.  It is probably what we can expect for Iceland with regard to boarding the ship:

"Well now we have it!  MVJ is now showing specific requirements for Bermuda cruises ... in the “Before You Go” section under Embarkation Requirements it is spelled out.  

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR CRUISE
BERMUDA ESCAPE Effective from May 11, 2021
The information included in this document is based on current Bermuda regulations and Viking COVID-19 Protocols and Procedures. Both are reviewed continuously and may be updated as your cruise departure date approaches. Please be sure to check this information again in advance of your departure for any changes to requirements.
Digital Health Survey: Five to seven days before your departure, you will be sent a link to the Viking Digital Health Survey that will need to be completed and submitted on MyVikingJourney.com. Developed by scientific and medical advisors, the survey will only take a minute to submit and verify your wellness prior to travel. Depending on your dates of travel, Viking may require you to submit verification of your COVID-19 vaccination status as part of the Digital Health Survey.
Pre-Departure Requirements for US Guest Entry (Bermuda):
1. One to three days prior to departure, you must complete the Bermuda Travel Authorization process online at: https://www.gov.bm/coronavirus-travellers-visitors. Select “Apply for Travel Authorization” at the bottom of the Bermuda government’s web page.
2. The cost levied by the Government of Bermuda is US$75 per guest. The Government of Bermuda only accepts payments by MasterCard or VISA. Please note, this fee covers the cost of the required COVID-19 testing in Bermuda upon arrival.
3. You must take a COVID-19 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test and provide a negative result no more than three days prior to arrival in Bermuda.
4. COVID-19 test results must be entered as part of Bermuda’s online travel authorization process.
5. Test results must be presented upon arrival in Bermuda, either as a printed copy or on a charged mobile device.
6. Guests without a pre-departure test will not be able to obtain Travel Authorization and enter Bermuda.
7. Upon arrival at the Bermuda airport, you must undergo a second COVID-19 PCR test administered by the Government of Bermuda.
Important: If you are a cruise-only guest and arranging your own airfare, please ensure that you are aware and follow all local requirements for your arrival port and airline carrier.
Viking Vaccination Requirement: Beginning on May 22, 2021, with the official restart of limited operations— and remaining in effect at least through September 30, 2021—all Viking sailings will be available exclusively for vaccinated guests.
In addition to government regulations within the destinations that we will visit, Viking has introduced its own Health and Safety protocol enhancements which have been implemented to protect our guests and crew as the global vaccine rollout moves forward. Viking medical advisors and operations teams will continue to monitor global vaccination rates and entry requirements and we will adjust our protocol and policies as needed to ensure the safety and well-being of our guests and crew.
    210511 Pre-Departure Requirements (Bermuda) Page 1 of 2 CST#2052644-40

Health/Travel Documents: Please remember to bring the appropriate travel and health documentation to ensure all requirements have been accommodated.
1. Printed copy of your Bermuda Travel Authorization form.
2. Printed and/or electronic copy of your pre-departure COVID-19 PCR test result.
3. Printed copy of your Proof of Vaccination certificate.
4. Valid U.S. Passport. Passport must be valid for 6 months beyond your planned trip dates.
Embarkation Procedure (Bermuda): Upon arrival, you will be required to undertake a COVID-19 PCR test (nasal swab) administered by the Bermudan Government.
This test will be in addition to the embarkation test required by Viking. Special Note: The ship is designated as a Bermuda quarantine area for Viking guests. You will be transferred to your ship as you await confirmation of a your negative COVID-19 PCR test result. You will then proceed to your stateroom where you will be required to provide a saliva sample. Please refrain from consuming any food or beverage item or smoking for at least one hour before submitting your saliva sample. While waiting for your test results, you, will be able to use the public spaces on board while observing current mask and social distancing requirements.
You will also need to undergo the following COVID-19 screening prior to your cruise:
• Temperature check (a temperature reading of less than 100.4°F/38°C).
• Questions in relation to your general health, COVID-19 symptoms, or possible exposure.
• Accept and agree to using contact-tracing technology during your cruise.
• Complete any required check-in procedures.
During Your Cruise: You will be tested periodically, on board the ship, as required by Viking and in coordination with the Government of Bermuda.
Disembarkation/Return Flight: Prior to leaving your Viking ship, you will be required to undertake a final COVID-19 test to satisfy the requirement for pre-flight testing before arrival into the U.S.
       Pre-Cruise Timeline Summary:
1. At least 14 days prior to departure, be fully vaccinated with a FDA/WHO approved COVID-19 vaccine.
2. No more than 3 days prior to your departure/arrival in Bermuda—you must receive a negative COVID-19 test result.
3. At least 1 to 3 days prior to travel—A Travel Authorization application must be submitted (with your COVID-19 PCR test results) to the government of Bermuda.
4. When you travel—be prepared to show proof of your vaccination, negative COVID-19 PCR test result and valid passport.
  Questions: If you have any questions regarding the Viking Health & Safety Protocols, please visit the Viking website at Health & Safety FAQ.
Travel Insurance: As always, we recommend you purchase travel insurance to protect your travel investment and ensure you have the appropriate medical coverage for any unforeseen incidents that may occur during your journey.
Updated May 11, 2021
The information included here should be considered current for all guests. Specific protocols and procedures may evolve over time to adapt to various conditions or travel regulations in the destinations in which we operate. Please continue to check this link for the most up-to-date Bermuda information, or visit https://www.gov.bm/coronavirus-travellers-visitors for additional details.
  210511 Pre-Departure Requirements (Bermuda) Page 2 of 2 CST#2052644-40"

Advice needed for the Blue Lagoon. We booked our tickets 2 nights ago and when I went on my CC the charged looked high to me.  I then went onto the Blue Lagoon website and of course had to pull up a conversion calculator and the price they charged me was correct but in my research our tickets for same day same time are a total of $30 cheaper now. I checked the cancellation policy and it says 100% refund but it also says if you make any changes they charge a fee and will not refund the difference if the price is lower. Ugh... I know it is only $30 but still we just booked. Is it worth cancelling and rebooking?  What would you do, any experience with cancelling with them?

thanks

3 hours ago, StuLaurie said:

Advice needed for the Blue Lagoon. We booked our tickets 2 nights ago and when I went on my CC the charged looked high to me.  I then went onto the Blue Lagoon website and of course had to pull up a conversion calculator and the price they charged me was correct but in my research our tickets for same day same time are a total of $30 cheaper now. I checked the cancellation policy and it says 100% refund but it also says if you make any changes they charge a fee and will not refund the difference if the price is lower. Ugh... I know it is only $30 but still we just booked. Is it worth cancelling and rebooking?  What would you do, any experience with cancelling with them?

thanks

If you plan to do this from the ship then you need to cancel. Once you're checked in with Viking you are limited to their "bubble". If you are doing your own travel and arriving earlier or leaving later then I would be tempted to just cancel. Wait for the refund and then rebook. I read an article about the Blue Lagoon and the writer strongly suggested getting the massage there. You can book it on the website. It's less expensive than what many other spas charge and it is supposed to be a wonderful experience.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StuLaurie said:

thanks

I've been to Blue Lagoon a couple of times and have enjoyed it.

Have you considered the new Sky Lagoon? Brand new and a lot closer to Reykjavik. I plan to give it a try pre-cruise.

On 5/20/2021 at 3:10 PM, Donaghadee said:

At the end of our Chilean fjords cruse in Valparaiso, December '19, my bride stashed around 20 little bottles of hooch in her suitcase.  She got busted by the Chilean customs guys.  She gave them a couple of bottles and they were happy.  Everyone had a good laugh.

Can you bring alcohol onboard Viking?  We carry wine onboard a lot of cruises even if there is a corkage fee. 

2 minutes ago, Doc who loves to travel said:

Can you bring alcohol onboard Viking?  We carry wine onboard a lot of cruises even if there is a corkage fee. 

Yes - there is no corkage fee.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Doc who loves to travel said:

Absolutely. When doing a river cruise through Europe I often bought a couple of bottles of the local beer to enjoy onboard.

Just now, Doc who loves to travel said:

You can bring all the booze & wine you can carry aboard Viking's ships.  They're good with it.  No corkage fees or anything, and you can consume it anywhere you please.

We were trying to bring "excess" home during our little Chilean escapade...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Doc who loves to travel said:

Yes, you can bring as much alcohol on board you want.  They are happy to serve it to you with no cover charge.

4 hours ago, Dukefan said:

This was just posted 5 hours ago by a Viking traveler to Bermuda.  It is probably what we can expect for Iceland with regard to boarding the ship:

"Well now we have it!  MVJ is now showing specific requirements for Bermuda cruises ... in the “Before You Go” section under Embarkation Requirements it is spelled out.  

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR CRUISE
BERMUDA ESCAPE Effective from May 11, 2021
The information included in this document is based on current Bermuda regulations and Viking COVID-19 Protocols and Procedures. Both are reviewed continuously and may be updated as your cruise departure date approaches. Please be sure to check this information again in advance of your departure for any changes to requirements.
Digital Health Survey: Five to seven days before your departure, you will be sent a link to the Viking Digital Health Survey that will need to be completed and submitted on MyVikingJourney.com. Developed by scientific and medical advisors, the survey will only take a minute to submit and verify your wellness prior to travel. Depending on your dates of travel, Viking may require you to submit verification of your COVID-19 vaccination status as part of the Digital Health Survey.
Pre-Departure Requirements for US Guest Entry (Bermuda):
1. One to three days prior to departure, you must complete the Bermuda Travel Authorization process online at: https://www.gov.bm/coronavirus-travellers-visitors. Select “Apply for Travel Authorization” at the bottom of the Bermuda government’s web page.
2. The cost levied by the Government of Bermuda is US$75 per guest. The Government of Bermuda only accepts payments by MasterCard or VISA. Please note, this fee covers the cost of the required COVID-19 testing in Bermuda upon arrival.
3. You must take a COVID-19 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test and provide a negative result no more than three days prior to arrival in Bermuda.
4. COVID-19 test results must be entered as part of Bermuda’s online travel authorization process.
5. Test results must be presented upon arrival in Bermuda, either as a printed copy or on a charged mobile device.
6. Guests without a pre-departure test will not be able to obtain Travel Authorization and enter Bermuda.
7. Upon arrival at the Bermuda airport, you must undergo a second COVID-19 PCR test administered by the Government of Bermuda.
Important: If you are a cruise-only guest and arranging your own airfare, please ensure that you are aware and follow all local requirements for your arrival port and airline carrier.
Viking Vaccination Requirement: Beginning on May 22, 2021, with the official restart of limited operations— and remaining in effect at least through September 30, 2021—all Viking sailings will be available exclusively for vaccinated guests.
In addition to government regulations within the destinations that we will visit, Viking has introduced its own Health and Safety protocol enhancements which have been implemented to protect our guests and crew as the global vaccine rollout moves forward. Viking medical advisors and operations teams will continue to monitor global vaccination rates and entry requirements and we will adjust our protocol and policies as needed to ensure the safety and well-being of our guests and crew.
    210511 Pre-Departure Requirements (Bermuda) Page 1 of 2 CST#2052644-40

Health/Travel Documents: Please remember to bring the appropriate travel and health documentation to ensure all requirements have been accommodated.
1. Printed copy of your Bermuda Travel Authorization form.
2. Printed and/or electronic copy of your pre-departure COVID-19 PCR test result.
3. Printed copy of your Proof of Vaccination certificate.
4. Valid U.S. Passport. Passport must be valid for 6 months beyond your planned trip dates.
Embarkation Procedure (Bermuda): Upon arrival, you will be required to undertake a COVID-19 PCR test (nasal swab) administered by the Bermudan Government.
This test will be in addition to the embarkation test required by Viking. Special Note: The ship is designated as a Bermuda quarantine area for Viking guests. You will be transferred to your ship as you await confirmation of a your negative COVID-19 PCR test result. You will then proceed to your stateroom where you will be required to provide a saliva sample. Please refrain from consuming any food or beverage item or smoking for at least one hour before submitting your saliva sample. While waiting for your test results, you, will be able to use the public spaces on board while observing current mask and social distancing requirements.
You will also need to undergo the following COVID-19 screening prior to your cruise:
• Temperature check (a temperature reading of less than 100.4°F/38°C).
• Questions in relation to your general health, COVID-19 symptoms, or possible exposure.
• Accept and agree to using contact-tracing technology during your cruise.
• Complete any required check-in procedures.
During Your Cruise: You will be tested periodically, on board the ship, as required by Viking and in coordination with the Government of Bermuda.
Disembarkation/Return Flight: Prior to leaving your Viking ship, you will be required to undertake a final COVID-19 test to satisfy the requirement for pre-flight testing before arrival into the U.S.
       Pre-Cruise Timeline Summary:
1. At least 14 days prior to departure, be fully vaccinated with a FDA/WHO approved COVID-19 vaccine.
2. No more than 3 days prior to your departure/arrival in Bermuda—you must receive a negative COVID-19 test result.
3. At least 1 to 3 days prior to travel—A Travel Authorization application must be submitted (with your COVID-19 PCR test results) to the government of Bermuda.
4. When you travel—be prepared to show proof of your vaccination, negative COVID-19 PCR test result and valid passport.
  Questions: If you have any questions regarding the Viking Health & Safety Protocols, please visit the Viking website at Health & Safety FAQ.
Travel Insurance: As always, we recommend you purchase travel insurance to protect your travel investment and ensure you have the appropriate medical coverage for any unforeseen incidents that may occur during your journey.
Updated May 11, 2021
The information included here should be considered current for all guests. Specific protocols and procedures may evolve over time to adapt to various conditions or travel regulations in the destinations in which we operate. Please continue to check this link for the most up-to-date Bermuda information, or visit https://www.gov.bm/coronavirus-travellers-visitors for additional details.
  210511 Pre-Departure Requirements (Bermuda) Page 2 of 2 CST#2052644-40"

OK, that helpful, assuming Iceland is quite similar to Bermuda - except, perhaps for the costly $75 travel authorization!  Ouch!  But at least it pays for the Bermuda Covid test!  I haven't read that much of the great info on this thread, but am I correct in assuming that Iceland does not require a travel authorization or visa?  How about a Covid test?  I'm vaccinated, if that makes any difference.  

19 minutes ago, AKexplorer said:

Another interesting site if you want to know when sunset is and when it really gets dark, a.k.a "civil twilight"

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/iceland/reykjavik?month=8

My favorite site. I already have the sunrise and sunset times penciled in my calendar for each of the ports.

20 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

However, they do charge for the mixers (sodas, juices, etc).

Not if you use the ones from your in stateroom fridge.  If you’re in a V category, most bartenders are happy to hand you an unopened canned soda or mixer during meal hours so you can restock it yourself. If you need juices, most are on the breakfast room service menu. 

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 2