4-22-21 Thursday Weigh-In --- Win--Lose--Or--Draw

Belle

Glad everyone is going on little trips.  Nice to get out.  

i work in  the yard a little. I bought garden liner to keep weeds under control.      I will cover that with grass clipping  (don’t use mulch in the back— Jazzper and his friends like to kick  in the flower beds and mulch ends up in grass). 

Belle have a great trip.  We will miss your posts.   Don’t worry about your weight it is your vacation.

Unless a water activity is involved, I don't really like the heat / humidity, so I'm not much of a gardener. I have to get out early in the morning to take care of yard work. I did get a couple strawberry plants into a container. I want it in the backyard, but not until they are done with the construction, or the deck at least. A couple weeks ago we put weed block down in the flower bed around a tree and one other  flower bed, and we replaced a few shrubs that the freeze killed. I want to finish the other flower bed, but the pool guys still have it torn up. I want to add annuals to all the flower beds too, but I would like to do it all at the same time. We're going to get a couple of inches of rain between tomorrow and Thursday, so there won't be any yard work going on before this weekend anyway.

I hope Belle is having a good trip!

Susan, that sounds like some garden! My husband wishes we had more land so we could have a big garden, but fortunately he realizes we wouldn't really spend the time to take care of it. Glad you had a good visit!

Izena, isn't it funny what dogs will kick around? Mine like to occasionally rip out a chunk of grass and throw it in the air - they'll play with that same bit for days. Fortunately our bermuda is fast growing, or I would have a ton of bald spots in the yard.

Jan, I can't believe you're still getting snow! It's in the mid 80's here today.

Ombud, I'm not a runner either. Even in elementary school, I can remember hating days they would send us outside to run in PE.

Working on planting the last 3 bushes.  Think I’ll only get one planted.  The ground cement hard/dry full of clay and thumb size roots. Have the hole  ready but filled it with water  to give the new plant a fighting chance of survival.  

I can’t handle the heat/ humidity.  If I don’t get gardening done know it will have to wait until the fall.  

Hurray I got the other 2 bushes planted.  Of course discovered another issue.  The stuff I have already put down in half the flower bed to deter weeds — WELL — just watered the first 3 bushes and the bed cover is water proof!!!!   My solution will be to take a sharp knife  or dowel and punch holes about every three inches or so .  Otherwise I’ll have to pull it up.   Oh well it’s exercise.

Izena, Yay for getting all the bushes planted. I'm sure your plan will work and will let enough water through.

We're down to single digit days of school left for the year. I'm planning on taking the kids to the zoo, a nature preserve, and fossil hunting our fist week off. There is a town about 30 minutes north of us that has a creek that is known for being able to find them. Hopefully it won't rain and won't be too hot yet. That's one of the reasons I shift our school year. It's too hot to do anything outside in August. 

Our project manager texted us, and the stone guys are supposed to be back out today or tomorrow to fix the shape of the firepit and complete the back wall of the pool. They're not here yet, so I'm assuming it will be tomorrow. He also said decking should happen next week, but he said that a couple weeks ago too.😒

Yesterday Along with planting the bushes I worked on my crepe myrtle.  It has grown natural for 8 years about feet tall.  The freeze on February  killed most of the top 6  feet.  I started to just trim the dead stuff   I ended up cutting it off at 6 feet.    The hummingbirds have been flitting  around  fun too watch.  

Mel sorry your project is taking soooo long.  I don’t understand why everything takes so long—  and the lack of pride in their work.

My walking is slowing down. The heat and humidity are returning.

Am I crazy? Thinking of wood instead LVP in kitchen / family room / laundry - 1/2 bath. 

Izena, your yard sounds beautiful 

Mel, did you compromise on design?

Jan, is it abnormal to get snow / cold this late? (I forget where you are. Its mid 80s here but I'm 'coastal')