Fly or World Cruise Segment?

7SeasLover

Considering Australia/New Zealand cruise. In researching pricing, I notice that flying RT Los Angeles to Melbourne + a 13-day cruise is about the same as a 29-day cruise from Los Angeles to Australia/New Zealand (World Cruise Segment). We would have to purchase EZ Air from Melbourne to LAX. 

Has anyone purchased RT EZ Air + a 13-day Aus/NZ cruise? Has anyone done the Segment + 1 way EZ Air? Just very curious as to the price variance.  Considering. mini suite for the 13-day cruise, or a balcony for the segment. 

Any opinions???

1 way EZ Air is available. Usually great savings for international flights vs. booking directly with an airline.

However a cruise with 16 more days is much more fun than a 14 hour flight to Australia. (And you arrive in Australia with no jet lag.)

• Like 2

In these days of uncertainty and things changing I should prefer to board the ship in one's own state and only do one long airline flight.  Australia is a long way away and any jet lag would be more tolerable when you return home.  I booked a flight to Australia once and the airline cancelled the flight because it was underbooked and automatically booked us on the following day which would have been too late to catch the boat.

Regards John

If you have the time and enjoy being on board sailing back from Australia is the way to go. There are lots and lots of sea days. We did this way back in 2008 and added an Australia land tour for 10 days prior to boarding. It's easy to figure the approximate costs. It was one of our most memorable cruise experiences. Back then we traveled business class by using lots of points that were earned from business travel before retirement. Now EZ Air has some good first/business class pricing.

I would not book outside the Princess window considering possible covid restrictions could still be in place.

Edited by skynight
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, skynight said:

If you have the time and enjoy being on board sailing back from Australia is the way to go. There are lots and lots of sea days. We did this way back in 2008 and added an Australia land tour for 10 days prior to boarding. It's easy to figure the approximate costs. It was one of our most memorable cruise experiences. Back then we traveled business class by using lots of points that were earned from business travel before retirement. Now EZ Air has some good first/business class pricing.

I am agreement that flying out with a leisurely sail home is the best format.  However I think the OP has the option of sailing out and flying home which is not as good but a lot better  than flying both ways in my opinion. Acquiring air ticket Melbourne to LAX is what was suggested.

Regards John

I failed to mention that we decided to fly there 3 days early, and cruise back leisurely. The only drawback that I can see in researching the ports today is that a WC segment would not afford us the NZ ports we want. We have been on a 30-day So Pacific cruise, so we are not really interested in any ports beyond Somoa. We absolutely LOVE consecutive sea days. We will book EZ Air no matter which way we cruise.

Thank you everyone for your opinions!  

• Like 1