American Cruise Line Parts For Ship #5 On Site

FlowBroTy

Just in from the Chesapeake Shipbuilding. It looks like one of the pieces for the 2022 ACL cruise ship number five is on site and being built! I plan to update this thread when I get more pics from Salisbury! 

ACL #5.jpg

• Thanks 1

Looks to me like a set of vertical partitions fastened to a horizontal frame.  Squinting, I can see that the partitions (bulkheads?) get narrower left to right...towards the bow?...maybe the whole thing gets secured to the hull.  Tried to google ship construction terms with no luck, but did dig this up:

"The first few stages of construction focus on building out the structure of the vessel, in pieces. Panels are created and shaped into so-called blocks, chunks of the ship’s body that can weigh tons. The pieces are then assembled into bigger “grand blocks” and, ultimately, into the ship."

I notice that FloBro said "Block here" on the blow-up, so maybe "block" is the right term.

Edited by DaveinCharlotte
clarity

How they built them is that they build them from the ground up with no blocks like all the bigger shipyards. However they built Bow and Stern and put them together than launch them in the water. Also this is the bow as the stern is more wider.

Edited by arandomguy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
On 5/3/2021 at 3:12 PM, Lvwindstar007 said:

They are called frames.

Flobroty is calling it a "block", and is correct.  Ships are built in "blocks" or sections of the ship, in this case in the building, then moved to the assembly area where they are welded together.  But, you are also correct that the block is made up of frames.

On 5/3/2021 at 6:57 PM, arandomguy said:

Don’t you mean hull? It’s not the frames…It’s the hull

The hull is made up of the outer steel plating, which is supported by the "frames", which are the steel "walls" or bulkheads that run from side to side within the hull plating and give the ship its shape.  These frames are reinforced by vertical "L-shaped" steel beams (stiffeners), that you can see in the photos.  There are also horizontal "L-shaped" beams (stringers or longitudinals) that run between the frames, and weld to the hull plating, that can be seen in the second photo.  In the overhead view, you can see horizontal "L-shaped" beams running fore and aft at the top of the frames, these are deck beams, and support the deck.  All of the parts mentioned:  plating, frames, stiffeners, longitudinals, deck beams, deck plating, as well as things like "knees", "keel", "stem post", "transom", and others make up the hull.