Likely Overlands QM2 World Voyage 2023

chrisruthsmith

Hello,

I wondered if anyone has any thoughts to what the overland excursions will be for the QM2 Centenary Voyage.  Do you think there will be an overland from Hong Kong to China mainland for Great Wall,  Terracotta Army, Tiananmen Square,  one in Africa for stays at safari lodges, or one in Egypt which enable you to go to Cairo as well as Valley of the kIngs?

6 hours ago, chrisruthsmith said:

Hello,

I wondered if anyone has any thoughts to what the overland excursions will be for the QM2 Centenary Voyage.  Do you think there will be an overland from Hong Kong to China mainland for Great Wall,  Terracotta Army, Tiananmen Square,  one in Africa for stays at safari lodges, or one in Egypt which enable you to go to Cairo as well as Valley of the kIngs?

Way too early to speculate on rips as the political climate around the world is not very stable and I feel that the itinerary may be tweaked before sailing to avoid certain issues caused by the virus that may not have been put to rest by Jan 3, 2023. In my opinion the best overland would be the rail trip across Australia. However, it is a one a week trip and the QM2 arrives the day after the train leaves from Darwin. There is a roll call for this full world NYC to NYC and Southampton to Southampton. Join up.

Yes I agree that it’s way too early to speculate but I can tell you that historically Cunard has never offered overlands like you described from Hong Kong.  They do usually offer safari trips from African ports though.

I don’t even know how long it’s been since Cunard has stopped in Egypt so I have nothing to go on there.

I can't see China overland's happening - even pre-Covid those would be internal flights - not  overlands (even with fast trains HK is nowhere near Xian or Beijing. For Xian you'd have to cross the border to Guangzhou and that's 1/2 a day just there (and not a fun 1/2 day) - its  possibly worse now with the politics in HK. Beijing is a 9 hour train trip from HK. 

Egypt is large and without a fast train network - if you went Cairo-Valley of the Kinds overland you'd miss the Suez Canal! 

4 hours ago, Cruise NH said:

I don’t even know how long it’s been since Cunard has stopped in Egypt so I have nothing to go on there.

We are due to stop in Salafaga for Luxor in October 2022 - QE repositioning cruise from Barcelona to Australia 

1 hour ago, lissie said:

I can't see China overland's happening - even pre-Covid those would be internal flights - not  overlands (even with fast trains HK is nowhere near Xian or Beijing. For Xian you'd have to cross the border to Guangzhou and that's 1/2 a day just there (and not a fun 1/2 day) - its  possibly worse now with the politics in HK. Beijing is a 9 hour train trip from HK. 

Egypt is large and without a fast train network - if you went Cairo-Valley of the Kinds overland you'd miss the Suez Canal! 

Cunard does flights on their 'overlands'...I guess they mean it literally over land😄.  The safari trips in Africa frequently include local air and when they stop in Beijing there are overlands to the Terra Warriors, etc and of course they use Chinese airlines.

They did offer a 2-3 day bus trip along the Garden Trail (I think that's what it was called) in South Africa.  Start in Port Elizabeth for example and ending in Cape Town.

1 hour ago, Cruise NH said:

Cunard does flights on their 'overlands'...I guess they mean it literally over land😄.  The safari trips in Africa frequently include local air and when they stop in Beijing there are overlands to the Terra Warriors, etc and of course they use Chinese airlines.

They did offer a 2-3 day bus trip along the Garden Trail (I think that's what it was called) in South Africa.  Start in Port Elizabeth for example and ending in Cape Town.

Sorry I didn't explain myself.  Its hugely risky to rely on internal Chinese flights -  the military controls all air space in China and will delay flights regularly for their own purposes. I've never done a WC - but I've travelled a bit in China. 

If you've done the Canaries before might consider cutting cruise short and taking your time to do a safari. You can fly from Capetown to Livingstone,  gate way to Botswana , Zambia and Victoria falls, then go home

Other safari option Durban to Victoria falls return to Capetown , you just miss PE which is not the most exciting place. Gives you four days , but doubt if Cunard offer this.