Welcome Back Cruises 2021 - Malta & Adriatic Cruises and General Discussion

JM0115

53 minutes ago, CLBSC said:

No doubt making a final decision with changing information is difficult. We are two weeks out today so looks like a go for us....

I am still wondering if this Malta Mom and Daughter flew directly from the USA to Malta and had a 72 hour test before traveling....

Also wondering why our 8/23 MaltaCruise is the only August Viking cruise with free airfare..do you think they need more passengers? 

I liked the previous statement of " The odds are still in our favor and we are willing to take the risk."

Risk assessment is more than just the existence of a risk. It also involves the likelihood that a particular event will occur; the cost or financial loss if the event does occur; the extent to which the risk can be controlled or reduced; and each person’s degree of risk tolerance.

My wife and I have a pretty high level of risk tolerance. We’re also fully vaccinated, so we believe it’s highly unlikely that we’ll contract Covid on or off a Viking ship.

Our problem, however, is the quarantine issue. Potentially, we could be swept up and ordered to a hotel, perhaps for as much as 14 days, simply because we come too close to a person later diagnosed with Covid. The likelihood that this will happen is probably quite low. But the risk very much exists. Worse yet, there’s not much we can do to manage the risk, short of keeping our distance from everybody on shore and off shore. And if we are swept up, a large chunk of the time and money we invested in the trip will go down the toilet. 

Se we’re still on the fence about our September cruise. Under Viking’s Risk Free program, we have two more weeks to make up our mind and decide whether to go. Stay tuned!

Edited by DaveSJ711
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, rizello said:

(I can’t figure out how to erase the above quote)

we are 3 days out from departure for our trip.  We feel it is a gamble but the odds are in our favor that all will go well.  Sounds like Malta has most restrictive quarantine requirements.  It is strange though to think that anyone within 50 feet of someone testing positive would also have to quarantine for a full 14 days regardless of testing negative.  

Certainly is strange—but that is the current onerous requirement by Malta. Though they have altered it somewhat to say 7 days instead of 14.

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

I emailed TellUs a couple of weeks ago. First call back person was hopeless (which I won’t go into), so I emailed my original questions again and got a call back from a senior customer relations person. I asked about what arrangements Viking has with Malta, Montenegro & Croatia primarily for someone contact traced to a Covid positive person. I explained that we had been following on CC all the Iceland Covid positive cases and were concerned about contact traced people getting caught up in quarantine unnecessarily. He confirmed that Viking’s policy is not to quarantine a contact traced person but that in practice in Iceland they tested the contact traced after “exposure” and had them quarantine in their cabin until results came back. (This—after the contact traced had already tested negative the day the Covid case tested positive.) I am uncertain how much of the quarantine was Viking’s decision or Iceland’s. He also did not know about the rumor on these boards that 71 people in Iceland from a couple of buses were quarantined after two tested positive and then missed their flights home. All FB rumors not substantiated.

As far as the three countries on Malta/Adriatic, the Viking rep said he did not know what the protocols would be for quarantine of contact traced people because it will depend on conditions at the time of the cruise. He either did not know Viking’s arrangements with these countries or could not say. We both commented that Malta can be erratic and confused about their own requirements. There was a news conference on Aug. 6th where the Maltese health ministry said vaccinated contact traced individuals would only need to be quarantined for 7 days instead of 14.

My husband and I have been evaluating all this constantly. Two days ago we were leaning toward doing something else; today we are back to leaning toward doing it!

Hi Linda, thank you for all the helpful information you have been providing. Like you, we are also not sure if we are going ahead with the cruise on Sept 12.  Waiting until 1-2days before the last day we can cancel to decide what to do. Yes, a few days ago we were ready to go, now we are not sure! 😞  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Risk assessment is more than just the existence of a risk. It also involves the likelihood that a particular event will occur; the cost or financial loss if the event does occur; the extent to which the risk can be controlled or reduced; and each person’s degree of risk tolerance.

My wife and I have a pretty high level of risk tolerance. We’re also fully vaccinated, so we believe it’s highly unlikely that we’ll contract Covid on or off a Viking ship.

Our problem, however, is the quarantine issue. Potentially, we could be swept up and ordered to a hotel, perhaps for as much as 14 days, simply because we come too close to a person later diagnosed with Covid. The likelihood that this will happen is probably quite low. But the risk very much exists. Worse yet, there’s not much we can do to manage the risk, short of keeping our distance from everybody on shore and off shore. And if we are swept up, a large chunk of the time and money we invested in the trip will go down the toilet. 

Se we’re still on the fence about our September cruise. Under Viking’s Risk Free program, we have two more weeks to make up our mind and decide whether to go. Stay tuned!

Well stated. You read my mind and cleaned up the syntax. We continue to weigh the possibilities for October. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CLBSC said:

No doubt making a final decision with changing information is difficult. We are two weeks out today so looks like a go for us....

I am still wondering if this Malta Mom and Daughter flew directly from the USA to Malta and had a 72 hour test before traveling....

Also wondering why our 8/23 MaltaCruise is the only August Viking cruise with free airfare..do you think they need more passengers? 

I liked the previous statement of " The odds are still in our favor and we are willing to take the risk."

Not sure if this is true, but I heard certain dates of travel offer free air because those dates aren't connected to the Viking-Lufthansa charter flights. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Again, not sure if that's correct information.

58 minutes ago, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

Not sure if this is true, but I heard certain dates of travel offer free air because those dates aren't connected to the Viking-Lufthansa charter flights. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Again, not sure if that's correct information.

Hmm, that can't be true because our 8/23 flight is a charter flight from Newark to Malta....

DaveSJ711's risk assessment narrative make one think. Those of us within the 14 day cancellation will have to keep future Malta cruisers updated.

Malta requires a separate deuplf for each passenger.  Were you able to complete one for you and one for your spouse with a single deuplf account or did you have to create a second account in your spouses name with a different email address to submit her deuplf?

I'm trying to get all the pieces together for our 9 Sep cruise to Greece and am wondering about this question.

Thanks.

Bob

2 minutes ago, CLBSC said:

Hmm, that can't be true because our 8/23 flight is a charter flight from Newark to Malta....

DaveSJ711's risk assessment narrative make one think. Those of us within the 14 day cancellation will have to keep future Malta cruisers updated.

Well there ya go...Thanks for clearing that up.😃

Just goes to show you how much false information is floating around out there.😏

• Like 1

Just got this email from Viking. No new information but makes me think hmmm...🧐

Earlier, I called Viking to ask several questions about (God forbid) the possibility of potentially testing + once I'm in Malta or on the boat and the whole quarantine procedure.

A few hours later I received an email. I'm sure it is just a coincidence but still made me think hmmmm....

09AUG2021

Dear Viking Guest,

Thank you for choosing Viking for your upcoming journey. We are contacting you to let you know about a policy update and new recommendations related to your voyage.

As the world reopens for international travel, we are continuing to assess conditions in the countries where we operate and adjust our protocols accordingly. The health and safety of our guests, our crew and the communities we visit is always our top priority. Experts—including our own medical team—agree that vaccinations are the most effective way to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Therefore, until further notice, Viking will continue to require that all guests be fully vaccinated.

This policy update means that to sail with Viking, you will need to provide proof of a COVID-19 vaccination. In order to verify the vaccination status of our guests, we have partnered with VeriFLY™, a secure digital credentials company. Prior to travel, you will be required to submit a digital copy of your CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card through the VeriFLY mobile app. Bring your card with you, as airlines, destinations or businesses often require proof of vaccination to be presented.

Additionally, Viking is committed to doing all we can to ensure you are healthy and well prepared for international travel—and that you will be able to arrive in your destination and embark your ship without incident. Because every destination continues to adjust its entry requirements for international arrivals, we are now strongly recommending that all guests take a COVID-19 PCR (nasal swab or saliva) test within 72 hours prior to departure.

PCR tests are considered the gold standard for COVID-19 compared to antigen "rapid" tests; as such, PCR is also Viking's diagnostics platform for testing on board our vessels. Traveling with a copy of your negative PCR test result is an added layer of protection for you and your fellow travelers—and will provide peace of mind should your destination change its entry requirement with little notice. You can read more about Viking's recommendation for a pre-departure test and find a PCR testing location near you on our website here.

As Viking guests are fully vaccinated, it is unlikely that your pre-departure COVID-19 test will return a positive result; however, should this be the case, please contact your Travel Advisor or Viking. Rest assured, we will help you move your sailing date to one that you will be able to join safely and enjoy.

Please know that the vaccination requirement and pre-departure COVID-19 PCR testing recommendation complement the protocol enhancements included in our Viking Health & Safety Program, which was developed in coordination with an international team of scientific and medical advisors. With our protocol enhancements in place, we believe there is no safer way to travel the world than on a Viking voyage.

In summary, please take note of the policy update and recommendations included in this email:

• Vaccine Requirement: All Viking sailings are available exclusively for fully vaccinated guests, until further notice. 
  • Requirement to travel with your CDC Vaccination Record Card: All guests should bring their CDC Vaccination Record Card with them, as airlines, destinations or businesses often require proof of vaccination to be presented.
  • Pre-Departure PCR Test Recommendation: Viking strongly recommends that all guests take a COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours prior to departure and that they travel with the test result. A pre-departure COVID-19 test helps provide peace of mind in case destination entry requirements change with little notice.
  • Country-Specific Requirements: While Viking recommends that all guests take a COVID-19 PCR test prior to departure, some countries do require a negative test result for entry. Please read the Pre-Cruise Requirements found under the Resources tab of your itinerary page on the Viking website and follow all guidelines that Viking provides via email and on MyVikingJourney.com.

We will be contacting you with additional details as your sailing date approaches. Since we restarted operations in May 2021, thousands of travelers have already enjoyed exploring the world in comfort once again – and we look forward to welcoming you on board.

Sincerely,

Viking

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, RALWauna said:

Malta requires a separate deuplf for each passenger.  Were you able to complete one for you and one for your spouse with a single deuplf account or did you have to create a second account in your spouses name with a different email address to submit her deuplf?

I'm trying to get all the pieces together for our 9 Sep cruise to Greece and am wondering about this question.

Thanks.

Bob

No - I mean yes, you must use separate email accounts.  they match the email address with a unique password, and you get the confirmation email to the separate email accounts.  then Verifly matches the dplf with a selfie and your vaccine card to give you a green checkmark.

Thanks to CLBSC (below) for the update to the contrary -- more than one way to do this!

Edited by tony the magnificent

37 minutes ago, RALWauna said:

Thanks.

Bob

I created separate deuplf accounts with the same email address..no problem. Got a response with Malta QR code within minutes, then uploaded to Verify. Made 3 written copies of each.

18 minutes ago, tony the magnificent said:

Has anyone found webcams that show passenger activity right at the ships, bus loading, gangplank activity etc.  I've found the Valletta cams, but the angle is wrong.

Is this the one you are referring to?

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/malta/malta/floriana/grand-harbour-valletta-waterfront.html

16 hours ago, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

Could be....DAVESJ711's risk assessment reply is excellent, especially since we are hearing so many conflicting reports.....we , who are within the 14 day cancellation, will just have to report back to those who are still on the edge about cruising....

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, tony the magnificent said:

My verifly app has disappeared from my phone in the last several days.  Everything's gone.  Has this happened to anyone else?

Yikes, I just checked mine and it is good. I am sure you tried a search and rebooting your phone.....good luck, that is a lot of work....

21 hours ago, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

Just got this email from Viking. No new information but makes me think hmmm...🧐

Earlier, I called Viking to ask several questions about (God forbid) the possibility of potentially testing + once I'm in Malta or on the boat and the whole quarantine procedure.

A few hours later I received an email. I'm sure it is just a coincidence but still made me think hmmmm....

09AUG2021

Dear Viking Guest,

Thank you for choosing Viking for your upcoming journey. We are contacting you to let you know about a policy update and new recommendations related to your voyage.

As the world reopens for international travel, we are continuing to assess conditions in the countries where we operate and adjust our protocols accordingly. The health and safety of our guests, our crew and the communities we visit is always our top priority. Experts—including our own medical team—agree that vaccinations are the most effective way to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Therefore, until further notice, Viking will continue to require that all guests be fully vaccinated.

This policy update means that to sail with Viking, you will need to provide proof of a COVID-19 vaccination. In order to verify the vaccination status of our guests, we have partnered with VeriFLY™, a secure digital credentials company. Prior to travel, you will be required to submit a digital copy of your CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card through the VeriFLY mobile app. Bring your card with you, as airlines, destinations or businesses often require proof of vaccination to be presented.

Additionally, Viking is committed to doing all we can to ensure you are healthy and well prepared for international travel—and that you will be able to arrive in your destination and embark your ship without incident. Because every destination continues to adjust its entry requirements for international arrivals, we are now strongly recommending that all guests take a COVID-19 PCR (nasal swab or saliva) test within 72 hours prior to departure.

PCR tests are considered the gold standard for COVID-19 compared to antigen "rapid" tests; as such, PCR is also Viking's diagnostics platform for testing on board our vessels. Traveling with a copy of your negative PCR test result is an added layer of protection for you and your fellow travelers—and will provide peace of mind should your destination change its entry requirement with little notice. You can read more about Viking's recommendation for a pre-departure test and find a PCR testing location near you on our website here.

As Viking guests are fully vaccinated, it is unlikely that your pre-departure COVID-19 test will return a positive result; however, should this be the case, please contact your Travel Advisor or Viking. Rest assured, we will help you move your sailing date to one that you will be able to join safely and enjoy.

Please know that the vaccination requirement and pre-departure COVID-19 PCR testing recommendation complement the protocol enhancements included in our Viking Health & Safety Program, which was developed in coordination with an international team of scientific and medical advisors. With our protocol enhancements in place, we believe there is no safer way to travel the world than on a Viking voyage.

In summary, please take note of the policy update and recommendations included in this email:

• Vaccine Requirement: All Viking sailings are available exclusively for fully vaccinated guests, until further notice. 
  • Requirement to travel with your CDC Vaccination Record Card: All guests should bring their CDC Vaccination Record Card with them, as airlines, destinations or businesses often require proof of vaccination to be presented.
  • Pre-Departure PCR Test Recommendation: Viking strongly recommends that all guests take a COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours prior to departure and that they travel with the test result. A pre-departure COVID-19 test helps provide peace of mind in case destination entry requirements change with little notice.
  • Country-Specific Requirements: While Viking recommends that all guests take a COVID-19 PCR test prior to departure, some countries do require a negative test result for entry. Please read the Pre-Cruise Requirements found under the Resources tab of your itinerary page on the Viking website and follow all guidelines that Viking provides via email and on MyVikingJourney.com.

We will be contacting you with additional details as your sailing date approaches. Since we restarted operations in May 2021, thousands of travelers have already enjoyed exploring the world in comfort once again – and we look forward to welcoming you on board.

Sincerely,

Viking

We, too, are concerned about testing positive even though we are fully vaccinated. We've seen on other boards that people who tested positive are being removed from the ship in Valetta and they will be required to stay in a Malta hotel for 14 days. No word on who is paying for that. We can't imagine the disappointment of spending the money on a cruise and then being stuck in a hotel room for 2 weeks or ports being skipped and having extra sea days. No one is saying anything of testing positive in Croatia...

59 minutes ago, wjcruise said:

We, too, are concerned about testing positive even though we are fully vaccinated. We've seen on other boards that people who tested positive are being removed from the ship in Valetta and they will be required to stay in a Malta hotel for 14 days. No word on who is paying for that. We can't imagine the disappointment of spending the money on a cruise and then being stuck in a hotel room for 2 weeks or ports being skipped and having extra sea days. No one is saying anything of testing positive in Croatia...

There IS word on “who is paying for that.” Malta has been very clear that their designated quarantine hotel is 100€ per nite and is billed to the ones in quarantine, unlike Iceland, which I think still pays for the hotel.