Interior Lens on cruise ship - how wide?

Just curious on how wide of a lens would be needed for interior shots on a cruise ship? I am debating on a wide prime or go with a wide zoom. I have a Panasonic G9 so the focal length doubles on the lens. There are some that are 12-35/60mm that are good. There are some wide primes. Just trying to gauge what others may use to add it into the mix on my decision.

For wide angle, I only had the 14-42 kit zoom for my OMD M10.2

14mm seemed to suffice for framing interior shots. 

i  now have a M1.2 with the 12-200 travel zoom, so that is a wider option- with a much bulkier lens. For next year’s sailing I’m looking for a smaller normal range zoom. The Oly Pro 12-40 f/2.8 or 12-45 f/4 would seem to be the safe choices. The PL 12-60 would also be a safe choice, and your G9 would provide dual IS with it.

a cheap wide angle option would be the Oly 8mm f/8 ‘body cap’ fisheye

I'd generally recommend the widest you can get.  Most of the time when I've shot interiors on ships, I've used a 10mm wide angle on APS-C, which is a 15mm equivalent.  That's usually good enough to capture small bars, lounges, and side rooms well and still good for the 'big' rooms to capture the scale.  I wouldn't really want much less than a zoom capable of 15mm equivalent to about 24mm equivalent, or a prime right at 15mm equivalent.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. My other option that I am considering is a Laowa 7.5mm f/2. It is manual focus, but the focus assist fixes that pretty easily. It is compact and not fisheye.

Edited by BoozinCroozin

7 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Thanks for the info. My other option that I am considering is a Laowa 7.5mm f/2. It is manual focus, but the focus assist fixes that pretty easily. It is compact and not fisheye.

I often use a Rokinon 12mm f/2 on my A6300. Fully manual but focus peaking makes that a non-issue. Laowa has the same reputation as Rokinon/Samyang for good optics and since ship interiors seldom require fast focusing, a manual ultra-wide for that purpose makes a lot of sense. 

Dave

• Like 1