Iona arrival

jasperado

Apologies if this is a stupid question but do the cruise ships always sail round the right hand side of the Isle of Wight, past Ryde to arrive at or leave Southampton? Or do they sometimes sail the other way, past Yarmouth? 

The day that we go on holiday to the Island Iona is due to sail out of Southampton. Depending on what time she's due to leave we are thinking of driving to the coast finding a vantage point to see her sail past.

7 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Apologies if this is a stupid question but do the cruise ships always sail round the right hand side of the Isle of Wight, past Ryde to arrive at or leave Southampton? Or do they sometimes sail the other way, past Yarmouth? 

The day that we go on holiday to the Island Iona is due to sail out of Southampton. Depending on what time she's due to leave we are thinking of driving to the coast finding a vantage point to see her sail past.

Big ships leaving Southampton go out towards Cowes, avoiding the sandbank, turn left, past Ryde and leave the solent at the eastern end. Some little cruise ships can leave at the western end . Iona is a big one.🛳️🤣

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Big ships leaving Southampton go out towards Cowes, avoiding the sandbank, turn left, past Ryde and leave the solent at the eastern end. Some little cruise ships can leave at the western end . Iona is a big one.🛳️🤣

Thank you. I'm hoping hubby will humour me and we'll go on an Iona hunt. Now I know which direction we need to head for 😊

1 minute ago, SarahHben said:

Thank you. I'm hoping hubby will humour me and we'll go on an Iona hunt. Now I know which direction we need to head for 😊

Take your telescope as once the ship goes around the south of the brambles bank ,it will turn left. Once it does it goes a fair way off the coast. The end of Ryde pier may be a good place to dream. If Andy is still around he will know for sure.🤣

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I took this photo on my iPhone from Calshot activity centre when she came in last week.  Fairly close there.

IMG_0613.jpg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, zap99 said:

The end of Ryde pier may be a good place to dream.

4 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

I took this photo on my iPhone from Calshot activity centre when she came in last week.  Fairly close there.

Thank you. I'll make a note of that on my phone.

• Like 1