Iona arrival

jasperado

34 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

Done, thank you.

Also Iona is scheduled to leave Southampton tonight at 8pm, so Solent Ships channel would be a good place to watch her.

Would be interesting to know where she is off to.  Currently looks like she is due back to Southampton on Saturday.

2 hours ago, Pink-belle said:

Thanks for mentioning Solent Ships when Iona arrived, I subscribed. 

Last Thursday we went to the Docks to see Iona, and MSC Off on her maiden voyage, was great watching the Solent Ships live commentary.  Can’t wait to watch Britannia on the 27th when I am onboard.  

me too a long awaited rest for me and my husband but no doubt we will worry about the in-laws something always happens 🥴

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Purdey16 said:

me too a long awaited rest for me and my husband but no doubt we will worry about the in-laws something always happens 🥴

I know what you mean, but going to try my very best to leave everything work and family related on the Dockside! 
I hope you can too.

• Like 1

We watched Britannia pass our holiday cottage on the front in Cowes around 15 mins ago and are currently waiting for Iona, which will pass us in around 30 minutes time. Just had a fabulous sunset, which would have made for some great photos, but sadly I fear that it will be too dark by the time Iona passes us. If I get a decent shot I will post it, but I doubt it. 

• Like 5

Well my iPhone snaps were atrocious, but Iona was quite a sight a few moments ago. Maybe I noticed it because it is near silent here and the Solent is like a mill pond at present, but you hear quite a distinct but subdued roar from her propulsion system. No plumes of smoke though! I wonder if she has Carnival staff and travel agents on her, as there was something going on in the sky dome (could see the lights flashing). We were booked on the original Maiden which was G003 so presumably there were two ‘shake down’ cruises scheduled before the one that they market as the maiden. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Well my iPhone snaps were atrocious, but Iona was quite a sight a few moments ago. Maybe I noticed it because it is near silent here and the Solent is like a mill pond at present, but you hear quite a distinct but subdued roar from her propulsion system. No plumes of smoke though! I wonder if she has Carnival staff and travel agents on her, as there was something going on in the sky dome (could see the lights flashing). We were booked on the original Maiden which was G003 so presumably there were two ‘shake down’ cruises scheduled before the one that they market as the maiden. 

No test cruises on Iona at present. Still very limited crew on board.

There is currently a creative/technical team on board sorting final arrangements for skydome and atrium shows. Obviously important to check that it all works while at sea as well as in port.

Iona is due in and out to Weymouth like all other ships until her maiden.

G001 was her reposition from shipyard to Southampton.

G002 was her shakedown cruise.

Edited by molecrochip
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, molecrochip said:

No test cruises on Iona at present. Still very limited crew on board.

There is currently a creative/technical team on board sorting final arrangements for skydome and atrium shows. Obviously important to check that it all works while at sea as well as in port.

Iona is due in and out to Weymouth like all other ships until her maiden.

That makes sense, as there didn’t seem to be many cabin lights on. So are there no shake down cruises scheduled at all for Carnival employees and travel industry staff? Seems like quite a risk if the very first time that the staff and venues are properly tested is the advertised Maiden!

4 hours ago, Selbourne said:

That makes sense, as there didn’t seem to be many cabin lights on. So are there no shake down cruises scheduled at all for Carnival employees and travel industry staff? Seems like quite a risk if the very first time that the staff and venues are properly tested is the advertised Maiden!

I believe at present, nothing is confirmed for Iona. There are rumours that the shakedown cruise will take place but until the 21 June changes are confirmed by the government, nothing can be scheduled.

There are test cruises across other ships in the fleet before they re-enter service but they are limited to staff. From the rumours, the ships will remain in dock and won't actually sail on the test cruises.

5 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

There are test cruises across other ships in the fleet before they re-enter service but they are limited to staff. From the rumours, the ships will remain in dock and won't actually sail on the test cruises.

A true cruise to nowhere.🤣

On 5/26/2021 at 1:11 PM, molecrochip said:

I believe at present, nothing is confirmed for Iona. There are rumours that the shakedown cruise will take place but until the 21 June changes are confirmed by the government, nothing can be scheduled.

I’ll update on this tomorrow.

• Like 1

Yes there will be a shakedown cruise. It will be the week before the maiden.

Those previously booked on the shakedown should have/get details today.

There is no public sale for the shakedown.

All Covid-19 protocols and procedures apply.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Yes there will be a shakedown cruise. It will be the week before the maiden.

Those previously booked on the shakedown should have/get details today.

There is no public sale for the shakedown.

All Covid-19 protocols and procedures apply.

I know you will say you can’t, but,I will ask anyway, anymore real images coming our way?

My guess is, we won't get any more photos until those booked on the shakedown will board.

Still baffles me that even now we've not seen much of Iona. Surely one of the crew (with permisson) can take photos on behalf of P&O - and get them sent to the PR department to approve before letting us see it.

I still don't buy this "we can't get a photographer on board" reason.

Ironic isn't it, P&O can't take pictures of their ship, yet we the passengers have to run the gaunlet of the ships' snappers at every port. 😛

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Monorail Orange said:

My guess is, we won't get any more photos until those booked on the shakedown will board.

Still baffles me that even now we've not seen much of Iona. Surely one of the crew (with permisson) can take photos on behalf of P&O - and get them sent to the PR department to approve before letting us see it.

I still don't buy this "we can't get a photographer on board" reason.

Ironic isn't it, P&O can't take pictures of their ship, yet we the passengers have to run the gaunlet of the ships' snappers at every port. 😛

Totally agree with you. I'd love to know what's going through the minds of the marketing bods at P&O that they have kept everything so secretive...

• Like 2

^ Yep, its not like she needs to be kept under wraps now.

I understand the reticence back during the early part of the pandemic - it just didn't seem right to show off a new ship. (Although some of us might have been glad of the distraction).

However, with them slowly restarting up, plus now we've had the naming ceremony, I fail to see the need to avoid showing us anything of the ship.

I'm assuming that someone in PR thinks that the very slow drip-feed is the way to go. And, sure I get it. If they did a lenghty tour video with umpteen photos from the ship when she was named, it'd all be over and done with now. The hype would be gone by the time she takes her maiden voyage.

However, next-to-nothing is such a strange stance to take on a new ship. If this was a refit that was bound to be controversial (think adding water park on the rear deck of the Oriana) then I can get the reservations.

C'mon P&O.... show us more of Iona!

• Like 2

My husband and I watched with great interest the arrival of Iona into Southampton port and as we have visited the UK many times and especially the area around Southampton, we were delighted to be able to pick out landmarks.  We are from Canada and take every opportunity to visit our friends in the UK and take cruises out of Southampton.  Thanks for the great webcam video!

Barb

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Monorail Orange said:

^ Yep, its not like she needs to be kept under wraps now.

I understand the reticence back during the early part of the pandemic - it just didn't seem right to show off a new ship. (Although some of us might have been glad of the distraction).

However, with them slowly restarting up, plus now we've had the naming ceremony, I fail to see the need to avoid showing us anything of the ship.

I'm assuming that someone in PR thinks that the very slow drip-feed is the way to go. And, sure I get it. If they did a lenghty tour video with umpteen photos from the ship when she was named, it'd all be over and done with now. The hype would be gone by the time she takes her maiden voyage.

However, next-to-nothing is such a strange stance to take on a new ship. If this was a refit that was bound to be controversial (think adding water park on the rear deck of the Oriana) then I can get the reservations.

C'mon P&O.... show us more of Iona!

Totally agree but the powers that be want to manage how photos get out therefore I don't want to chance my neck by sharing them on here. I will however share some shakedown cruise pictures after the event.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1