Flight into Athens...question please

Lois R

19 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Thanks for the informative post.  Perhaps you can answer a question and give some advice.  We will soon be entering Greece for a 2 week cruise and later spending some time island hopping to Naxos and Paros.  The night before we are to fly home to the USA we are staying at the Sofitel located near the airport.  We will need to get an Antigen test before our flight (it is a requirement of the US Government) and our thinking is that the evening before our flight we would simply walk over to ATH and get our Antigen tests at the airport location.   Does this make sense or should we make some other plan to get that test.

Hank

Hi Hank, Sofitel is 1 min walk from Athens airport. Makes total sense. Its far from anything else though.

The rapid antigen test may take place one day before departure or same day if enough time available. 

You have to pay for each antigen test 20 euro. You can even book online, I am not sure if I am allowed to share live links here, so search for 

COVID-19 DIAGNOSTIC TESTING
IN ATHENS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

(Athens Medical Group)

3 hours ago, mcondition said:

Hi Hank, Sofitel is 1 min walk from Athens airport. Makes total sense. Its far from anything else though.

The rapid antigen test may take place one day before departure or same day if enough time available. 

You have to pay for each antigen test 20 euro. You can even book online, I am not sure if I am allowed to share live links here, so search for 

COVID-19 DIAGNOSTIC TESTING
IN ATHENS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

(Athens Medical Group)

Thanks,  We apparently have two good options.  The day before flying home we will be staying on Paros which also has a clinic authorized to do the test (also at 20 Euros).  We might actually need to get the test on Paros since it seems possible that your government will want a recent antigen test for the ferry back to the mainland.  But a test on Paros would handle both the ferry (if necessary) and our return flights :).   Trying to keep up with the rule changes in Greece (and elsewhere) has become a part time obsession.   I noticed that Greece now has a relatively new PLF (Marine) form for those taking ferries to the islands from the mainland and reverse.  Unlike your PLF to enter the country, which only requires one form per family, the new Marine PLF seems to require one PLF form per person.  

Despite the additional requirements/forms we still salute the Greek Government for opening up to tourism and making the rules very transparent.   We do think the Greek islands are worth the hassles :).

Hank

Since there are some well-informed people on this thread, maybe I can get an answer to my question.  I believe I am up-to-date on everything so far, including filling out and printing the Greek PLF.  Today I went to American Airlines website and downloaded and completed their recommended Veri-FLY app.  BUT I am still confused!!  Do I or Do I NOT need a recent Covid test to board my flight to Athens?  No where does it say that on their website, and all the information seems to be geared to the requirements of the country I am flying to -  and Greece only requires proof of vaccination.

I guess I thought AA would contact me before the trip, but my consultant at HAL says no, I have to contact them.  Anyone have any input?  Thanks in advance.

Linda

15 minutes ago, Lindancer said:

No where does it say that on their website, and all the information seems to be geared to the requirements of the country I am flying to -  and Greece only requires proof of vaccination.

I guess I thought AA would contact me before the trip, but my consultant at HAL says no, I have to contact them.  Anyone have any input?  Thanks in advance.

Linda

On the AA web site, go to Travel Information, then select International Travel.  You enter the departure airport and your arrival airport,  and specific instructions will be provided.

American Airlines - Airline tickets and cheap flights at aa.com

The Greek Govt web site also has detailed info:

Protocol for Arrivals in Greece - travel.gov.gr

2 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

On the AA web site, go to Travel Information, then select International Travel.  You enter the departure airport and your arrival airport,  and specific instructions will be provided.

American Airlines - Airline tickets and cheap flights at aa.com

The Greek Govt web site also has detailed info:

Protocol for Arrivals in Greece - travel.gov.gr

You know, I believe I did that already but found it inconclusive.  My travel agent and others are leading me to believe AA requires a recent Covid test and I just don't see it.

Thank you.

21 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Thanks,  We apparently have two good options.  The day before flying home we will be staying on Paros which also has a clinic authorized to do the test (also at 20 Euros).  We might actually need to get the test on Paros since it seems possible that your government will want a recent antigen test for the ferry back to the mainland.  But a test on Paros would handle both the ferry (if necessary) and our return flights :).   Trying to keep up with the rule changes in Greece (and elsewhere) has become a part time obsession.   I noticed that Greece now has a relatively new PLF (Marine) form for those taking ferries to the islands from the mainland and reverse.  Unlike your PLF to enter the country, which only requires one form per family, the new Marine PLF seems to require one PLF form per person.  

Despite the additional requirements/forms we still salute the Greek Government for opening up to tourism and making the rules very transparent.   We do think the Greek islands are worth the hassles :).

Hank

I do not know if you are vaccinated. If you are though, all vaccines performed in US are EU approved. So if you are fully vaccinated you are not in need of any further covid test to travel to Greece or EU. In order to board the ship you have to present passport, proof of vaccination and a Health Statement Form relevant to plf, also accepted electronically and can be filled up here https://sea.travel.gov.gr/#/  So you just have the step of visiting the sea travel website

The vaccination level has not reach the desired percentage in Greece, so the gov try to make travelling difficult and more expensive for not vaccinated travelers, Greeks and visitors. So in order to travel by ship or plane, it is not yet necessary to be vaccinated. An antigen test last 48 hours is also accepted and a PCR test last 72 hours too. 

8 hours ago, Lindancer said:

Since there are some well-informed people on this thread, maybe I can get an answer to my question.  I believe I am up-to-date on everything so far, including filling out and printing the Greek PLF.  Today I went to American Airlines website and downloaded and completed their recommended Veri-FLY app.  BUT I am still confused!!  Do I or Do I NOT need a recent Covid test to board my flight to Athens?  No where does it say that on their website, and all the information seems to be geared to the requirements of the country I am flying to -  and Greece only requires proof of vaccination.

Linda

To summarize apart from passport you need 2 things to travel: 

- proof or vaccination (EU approved) or 48 hours antigen or 72 hours PCR test

- plf for airports or Health Statement Form in ports (easy online process)

Edited by mcondition

Thanks everyone.  From the information given, It looks like we will not need a negative Covid test from within 72 hours before our flight.  Like I said, I know what restrictions Greece has, and we have been vaccinated and I filled out the Greek PLF.  My issue has been whether American Airlines is going to require me to show negative test results to board their flight - and apparently not.  What has confused me is that the AA website clearly states that no Covid test is necessary for Domestic travel, with no mention of international travel (except when you delve further).  But I must then conclude that a negative test is only required for International flights if the destination country requires one.  Sorry if I am being obtuse, but my travel consultant with HAL has led me to believe American Airlines requires a negative Covid test, so I am just trying to get concrete information.

Thanks again.

Linda

5 hours ago, Lindancer said:

Thanks everyone.  From the information given, It looks like we will not need a negative Covid test from within 72 hours before our flight.  Like I said, I know what restrictions Greece has, and we have been vaccinated and I filled out the Greek PLF.  My issue has been whether American Airlines is going to require me to show negative test results to board their flight - and apparently not.  What has confused me is that the AA website clearly states that no Covid test is necessary for Domestic travel, with no mention of international travel (except when you delve further).  But I must then conclude that a negative test is only required for International flights if the destination country requires one.  Sorry if I am being obtuse, but my travel consultant with HAL has led me to believe American Airlines requires a negative Covid test, so I am just trying to get concrete information.

Thanks again.

Linda

You may know this already but just in case: You will need a negative test to return to the US.  I believe it has to be within 72 hours of your return flight, but you will want to confirm that timing.

21 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

You may know this already but just in case: You will need a negative test to return to the US.  I believe it has to be within 72 hours of your return flight, but you will want to confirm that timing.

My cruise consultant assures me that HAL will be doing testing onboard before we go to the airport. Thanks!

• Like 1

I think my biggest fear when booking anything with AA is that they will simply reschedule the flights so connections are impossible or cancel the flight.  This has happened to us a few times (most recently last month) and I now view any AA advance schedule as "advisory" rather then real.   But I do keep trying with AA and just booked more flights with them for next Jan and March.  I would give odds that none of those booked flights will ultimately happen as currently scheduled.  As to AA imposing their own testing rules I would find that very doubtful.  But these days all the airlines have become like traffic cops trying to enforce the various rules imposed by each country where they fly.

Hank

On 7/15/2021 at 4:51 PM, Hlitner said:

I think my biggest fear when booking anything with AA is that they will simply reschedule the flights so connections are impossible or cancel the flight.  This has happened to us a few times (most recently last month) and I now view any AA advance schedule as "advisory" rather then real.   But I do keep trying with AA and just booked more flights with them for next Jan and March.  I would give odds that none of those booked flights will ultimately happen as currently scheduled.  As to AA imposing their own testing rules I would find that very doubtful.  But these days all the airlines have become like traffic cops trying to enforce the various rules imposed by each country where they fly.

Hank

Ages ago AA used to be my favorite airline (well, other than Midwest Express) and I thought they had the best food.  But they just cancelled too many flights.  I can't keep track of how many times they flew us to Chicago, cancelled our flight to Milwaukee and put us on a bus.  One time, we were going to Fort Myers or Naples, and AA took us as far as Tampa and we had to get off and rent a car.  I also feel their planes have less leg room than others.  But then our travel patterns changed and Delta became the most convenient airline for us to fly (although I have a couple of gripes about them, too, like when they ran out of wine after one time through the cabin on a flight from Italy - I mean really??)  I am sorry to read that AA hasn't changed their policy - if they're not making money - just cancel the darn flight!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I was in Greece from July 8--18, got home last Sunday night.......been home a week......this land thing? sucks...LOL  I booked another cruise for next month to Alaska😃

Anyway, as to what I needed to fly to Athens.........did not need a test. Did not get a test...........needed my vaxx card and I printed out the paperwork from my PLF form.

I flew United going over and Delta coming home.   I did have a test before boarding the ship, once in the middle of the cruise and the day before we disembarked.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 9:38 PM, Lindancer said:

You know, I believe I did that already but found it inconclusive.  My travel agent and others are leading me to believe AA requires a recent Covid test and I just don't see it.

Thank you.

I have flown AA twice. You only need a covid test uploaded in Verifly for yourr RETURN flight home. All other entry requirements follow the country you are visiting.