Chicken Fingers

awdl2000

I had a friend who would trick her kid into trying new things. She would make something new at home but tell the kid she didn't make enough for him so he couldn't have any. She would do this a few times until the kid would beg to have some. It really was quite amusing to watch.

Michelle in SoCal

Breaking the picky eating nonsense is real easy no eat no playstation til you do

Eating is frequently a always a control issue.....the people who say...when they're hungry they will eat are WRONG....one look at starving young women who no longer feel hunger is enough to change your mind.

Let's not get into parenting issues..it's none of our business. The woman asked about chicken finger on the menu....

We were on the Mariner in January with a picky eater. (diagnosed with visual and oral aversons to food) The childrens menu did have chicken fingers and fries. The chicken fingers are real chicken breast pieces... not the chewed and reglued nugget type. (sadly my son will not eat the real ones.. the chicken has "strings" as he says). The menu did not have grilled cheese. We were going to inquire about getting grilled cheese in the dining room... but my son decided to eat pizza every night instead.

The Adventure Ocean program will offer a kids dinner at Johnny Rockets 3 times through the week.... the 2 formal nights and we had wednesday night... pirate night. The kids can get grilled cheese at Johnny Rockets. (This is a freebie for the kids at Johnny Rockets... no surcharge!!!!)

Talk to your head waiter the first night at dinner and explain your childs preferences. My son was able to get plain penne pasta every night on one cruise. (he likes the tube shape and not the long noodles).

Believe me... from a mother who has been there and back... your child will not starve on the cruise!!!

Wow, all of this discussion over a simple question about the kids menu. :p

This all brings back memories. When my son (now 16) was 2 years old, he went through a 3 or 4 month stage where he refused to eat anything but scrambled eggs and chicken nuggets. Of course, I'd prepare him other foods, but he wouldn't touch a thing. I am happy to say that he is now a perfectly normal eater...he actually eats a wider variety of vegetables than I do. On our cruises, he takes the opportunity to try 'new' foods such as escargot...which he loved.

I agree with what someone said about kids having a natural adversion to certain foods. My son hated carrots from the first time they were introduced to him as a baby. (His grandmother was feeding him carrot baby food and he immediately made a horrible face and vigorously spit it out.) He dislikes carrots even now.

To the original poster...on our last cruise we sat beside a table where 3 children were sitting. The chicken fingers, macaroni & cheese, etc that they had looked VERY good. I love macaroni & cheese...I almost ordered some myself. :) The waiter also gave the kids coloring sheets and crayons. Milk is also available in the dining room (no extra charge). There were also dessert choices on the kids menu, although most kids would probably enjoy the adult dessert menu as well.

To answer the OP, yes, the dining room has chicken fingers and french fries.

As for "forcing" a child to try new things, YES, you can beat them into submission when it comes to food. You can also give them a nice eating disorder while you're at it.

There are bigger issues to worry about than whether the kid eats broccoli on a cruise ship.

There are bigger issues to worry about than whether the kid eats broccoli on a cruise ship.

Had to laugh at this one - my niece has three year old twins - the little girl LOVES broccoli. It's about her favorite food. My niece will actually say to her "you've been such a good girl, you can have broccoli for dinner!" She gets all excited and says "oh, thank you, mommy." I think it's a hoot.

Our daughter places a standing order the first night of each cruise, macaroni and cheese with chocolate milk. This is what she likes. If I could get lobster every night, I would place a standing order, too. She is on VACATION, she eats plenty of fruits, vegetables and protein at home on a regular basis. Don't we all indulge ourselves while on a cruise???

"you've been such a good girl, you can have broccoli for dinner!" She gets all excited and says "oh, thank you, mommy." I think it's a hoot.

Heh. That is funny!

Reminds me of our granddaughters. They do the same thing. They eat stuff I won't even look at. We took them to lunch at a local restaurant about a month ago. Well, they won't order off the kids' menu (even though they are 6 and 8), we usually order an adult plate and split it between them so they can get something "good."

They ordered bacon-wrapped scallops and ahi tuna. The waiter asked them what they wanted as a side item, and rattled off a list...french fries, macaroni & cheese, applesauce, or cheese sticks. They kinda' looked at me so I asked him if they had any mixed veggies. He said, "Yeah, but its' broccoli and squash."

The girls looked at each other and Kara squealed with delight..."Oooh, Abbey, they have squash!"

Deadpan, the waiter looked at me and said, "Are they puttin' me on?"

Umm. Sorry. No. They really are that strange. :o

I never ate vegetables when I was little (I still don't). I think I turned out alright. I know I should eat them, but they're absolutely disgusting to me. I sat at the table for hours until my Mother would finally let me up. I guess I agree with picking your battles. My parents were more interested in me doing my homework and practicing the piano.

The cruise would be a good place to try something new, only if the child wanted to. I would not want to force a child and make a scene....Then you have another type of problem.

As a parent of two grown kids I always get a kick out the ludicrous concept of picking your battles. This is not about battles, this is about a learning oppurtunity and a chance to expose your kids to new and diferent things. Breaking the picky eating nonsense is real easy no eat no playstation til you do

Whatever!! I'm 46 years old and retired from a career in the Navy, I didn't like vegetables when I was a kid and don't like them now. The smell of sea food just about makes me gag, especially after being in sonar when we blew sans and listening to the "biologics" (shrimp, crab, lobster, etc) feasting. I didn't grow up with a Playstation and my Mom did try and make me eat things to "learn" to like them. I'm a meat and potatoes guy, if your kid likes chicken fingers and fries, then let him be happy and eat what he wants.

Wraithe

You know I somehow missed the post where the person was basically telling me that they can parent my son better and I should take away Playstation until he eats what I tell him to eat. I am paraphrasing badly but that's the gist. You know what? I am the Mommy here and as long as he eats some vegetables I could care less about a monster fight to get him to eat anything I put in front of him.

There are foods I do not like, I don't eat them. There are foods my husband does not like, he does not eat them. I am not going to chow down on liver to prove a point to my son. I also don't make him listen to jazz music, even though I love it. He likes rock and classics and that's more than a lot of kids so I am happy. He may never have an appreciation for "Satin Doll", even though it's my favorite. Is he clean? polite? Friendly? Is my son happy? Will my son go into most new experiences with a lightness of heart? Yes. I think he is so open to new experiences because I do not force him to do things that are not important to me and green beans aren't. He lights up any place he enters. Gene-Gene is charming and effusive, interesting and learning a lot about the world. I think that's pretty good for an eight year old boy. He trusts that if I ask him to do something he is not comfortable with it's important to me and he respects me enough as a parent to try those things.

I pick my battles and taking away Playstation over green beans is not going to happen. I do a pretty good job with my boys. They are not perfect. I am not interested in raising perfect people. Just happy people.

You know I somehow missed the post where the person was basically telling me that they can parent my son better and I should take away Playstation until he eats what I tell him to eat. I am paraphrasing badly but that's the gist. You know what? I am the Mommy here and as long as he eats some vegetables I could care less about a monster fight to get him to eat anything I put in front of him.

There are foods I do not like, I don't eat them. There are foods my husband does not like, he does not eat them. I am not going to chow down on liver to prove a point to my son. I also don't make him listen to jazz music, even though I love it. He likes rock and classics and that's more than a lot of kids so I am happy. He may never have an appreciation for "Satin Doll", even though it's my favorite. Is he clean? polite? Friendly? Is my son happy? Will my son go into most new experiences with a lightness of heart? Yes. I think he is so open to new experiences because I do not force him to do things that are not important to me and green beans aren't. He lights up any place he enters. Gene-Gene is charming and effusive, interesting and learning a lot about the world. I think that's pretty good for an eight year old boy. He trusts that if I ask him to do something he is not comfortable with it's important to me and he respects me enough as a parent to try those things.

I pick my battles and taking away Playstation over green beans is not going to happen. I do a pretty good job with my boys. They are not perfect. I am not interested in raising perfect people. Just happy people.

Nicely put Nliedel. It's obvious you're doing a wonderful job with your kids.

I'd happily cruise with your family at the next table any day!

Nicely put Nliedel. It's obvious you're doing a wonderful job with your kids.

I'd happily cruise with your family at the next table any day!

You know some days I am a great Mom and some days I wonder what the heck I am supposed to do next. It's such a crap shoot. Everyone just does the best they can. I do know the more kids I have the less I know.

You know some days I am a great Mom and some days I wonder what the heck I am supposed to do next. It's such a crap shoot. Everyone just does the best they can. I do know the more kids I have the less I know.

Hmmm, maybe it's a good thing I quit at two kids!! I don't think I could afford to know any less.

Wraithe

Archived