NCL removed their 2021Alaska cruises?’ What’s happening??

Ivy86

6 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I've read that they now make a loop, which is in Canada, but no one leaves the train.

Yes.  The summit is at milepost 20.4 and the loop was built at 21.4, so the trains entered Canada both before and after the construction of the loop.  They never have required passports for those routes, since nobody leaves the train and it temporarily enters Canada by no more than a mile or two.  I do understand that the train/bus tours go deeper into Canada and do require a passport.  That's not what I was referring to.

White Pass International Border - White Pass & Yukon Route Railway (wpyr.com)

Construction begins on Summit Loop Project - White Pass & Yukon Route Railway (wpyr.com)

Edited by CaptainWoody

Yall are going to make me crazy if I start stressing about another canceled cruise. My cruise booked for the 7th has showed Skagaway all along. We were already going to Icy Point as well so no changes there besides the order of the days. As for the train, when I spoke with the excursions people they said the train will go into Canada but not stop, and then return. Hence be why your passport is still needed.

3 minutes ago, jcu1210 said:

As for the train, when I spoke with the excursions people they said the train will go into Canada but not stop, and then return. Hence be why your passport is still needed.

Historically, that has meant that your passport it NOT needed.   What does your shore excursion page on the website say?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I've read that they now make a loop, which is in Canada, but no one leaves the train.

The Canada/US/Mexico land border closures are reviewed every month.   The next date to keep an eye on is June 21st.   Prime Minister Trudeau is under a lot of pressure to put forward a plan to reopen with the US.   His comments recently were that Canada needs to achieve 75% coverage of first vaccinations.  That is likely achievable by the end of June.  In addition, second shots are ramping up very quickly.   He also suggested that those to be admitted first, with no need to quarantine, are those who are fully vaccinated.   This is just optimistic speculation but it's possible that Canada might permit the White Pass and Yukon to enter as long as there is a guarantee that all passengers have both shots.

There is also chatter here that the ferries between Washington State and Victoria might even start again by July or August.

62.278%

of the Canadian population has received at least one dose

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jcu1210 said:

Screenshot_20210608-224239_Norwegian.jpg

It looks like that one does stop in Canada and you get off and take a bus.  That will mean a passport required.  We appear to be talking about two different train excursions.

Your earlier post stated "As for the train, when I spoke with the excursions people they said the train will go into Canada but not stop, and then return.."  That would be the 2 3/4 hr train round trip, not the one you posted the NCL summary for.

18 minutes ago, TashaB said:

This is just optimistic speculation but it's possible that Canada might permit the White Pass and Yukon to enter as long as there is a guarantee that all passengers have both shots.

Thanks for the info.  It's seems a bit silly that a train that enters for two miles to turn around, without anybody getting on an off, would have any special requirements from Canada (especially since they've waived the passport requirement historically).  It's really not unlike a plane flying over Canada, but not landing.

12 hours ago, lepidoptera said:

Yes I think that might be the issue. When I look at my vacation summary I have 2 different port itineraries. One itinerary (which is the one on the website which I can still see has) Juneau on Monday and Icy Straight Point on Wednesday.  But the itinerary overview has those 2 days switched. I think they are still changing things around. Last week I was ready to book when they switched to the Bliss, the cruises disappeared from the website for about 2 days. 

EF354B90-7E47-409A-8935-A5635ADE3DF6.thumb.jpeg.a6b9853575a7be844235a73b59801044.jpeg

the new itinerary with Icy Strait on Monday and Juneau Wednesday is on my NCL account now