Bait and Switch?

Robjame

I was excited to find that Regent was offering Canadian Dollars at Par (about a 25% savings) on select cruises. On their website I checked over the 6 cruises offered and verified the expiry date of June 30 2021. After being sure that there were cabins at my preferred level, we decided to book the b2b cruises of Cartagena to Bridgetown and Bridgetown to Bridgetown. The Regent rep phoned me and gave me the sales pitch about Regent which wasn't really necessary as I was already sold. Then the shoe dropped - these two cruises were no longer on the list of Canadian at par.

He had no reason. He simply said that these cruises change all the time and that the website hadn't been updated. He tried to sell me other alternatives, not on special.

IMO this is unethical and a perfect example of the bait and switch technique.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

Was the offer possibly restricted to certain number of cabins and that number had already been sold?  Look at the fine print.

Very probably. However, wouldn't it be easy to update the website at the same time the decision is made to remove that cruise from the specials? 

• Like 1

This is the time when you experience the value of a truly good travel agent!  Without one - good luck!  But tell the agent obviously he/she cannot resolve the problem and you want to be transferred to the supervisor.

This promotional release may help

https://cruiseweboffers.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/CAD@-PAR-Q2-expiry-6.30.21.pdf

• Like 1

Yes an unacceptable response as these cruises are still advertised at par until June 30th.  I agree 100% that you need to find a great TA to fight for you but in this circumstance, also agree that a request for escalation to a more senior staffer should also resolve the situation.  The ongoing total misses in regards to customer service experiences continue.  Time for a Regeny to circle the wagons and figure out what the heck they are doing from a customer perspective.  Randall are you listening?

4 hours ago, golfgirls said:

Yes an unacceptable response as these cruises are still advertised at par until June 30th.  I agree 100% that you need to find a great TA to fight for you but in this circumstance, also agree that a request for escalation to a more senior staffer should also resolve the situation.  The ongoing total misses in regards to customer service experiences continue.  Time for a Regeny to circle the wagons and figure out what the heck they are doing from a customer perspective.  Randall are you listening?

I agree, Regent really needs to step it up.  Top management are not doing the job customers need now.  As much as I like the Regent experience once on the ship—Regent management is having me look at other lines……….

On 6/15/2021 at 12:39 AM, ronrick1943 said:

I agree, Regent really needs to step it up.  Top management are not doing the job customers need now.  As much as I like the Regent experience once on the ship—Regent management is having me look at other lines……….

Hi Ronrick

if I may make a suggestion to you regarding your FCC comments…. I phoned Regent, told them I could not find a cruise for 2021 or 2022 to use my FCC. (125%). I asked for a refund of the money I gave them (100%). Yes I gave up their (25%). After some discussion, I was given my refund. It was credited to my credit card in about 45 days. 
Try it and let us know how it goes……

sheila

54 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Hi Ronrick

if I may make a suggestion to you regarding your FCC comments…. I phoned Regent, told them I could not find a cruise for 2021 or 2022 to use my FCC. (125%). I asked for a refund of the money I gave them (100%). Yes I gave up their (25%). After some discussion, I was given my refund. It was credited to my credit card in about 45 days. 
Try it and let us know how it goes……

sheila

WOW, thanks.

On 6/20/2021 at 11:34 AM, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

🙏👍🤞

Our TA is now talking to Regent with all the information, so we’ll see how it goes and I’ll give you an update when I find something out from them.  Thanks again.  We did pick a cruise, something that would be OK but not close to are 1st choice.  Plus it’s 4 days less, $8,000 more and a one suite downgrade from what we had booked before canceled.🤔

There are many problems with cruise line promotions these days. Not just Regent — not at all. RCCL is selling drink packages with a limit on drinks of $12. But some booked guests are looking at the drink menu and finding that drinks start at $13!  Celebrity is promoting “All Inclusive Always” until one reads the very fine print in the footnotes and finds that it is true only on certain room categories, on certain ships, on certain cruises. The FTC, which has authority over false abd misleading advertising, seems to be asleep.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Our TA is now talking to Regent with all the information, so we’ll see how it goes and I’ll give you an update when I find something out from them.  Thanks again.  We did pick a cruise, something that would be OK but not close to are 1st choice.  Plus it’s 4 days less, $8,000 more and a one suite downgrade from what we had booked before canceled.🤔

At this stage, any cruise will do for us…. We have even booked a 7 day on Celebrity Edge in the Retreat, out of Fort Lauderdale. First Regent cruise out of Miami with our grown kids in December, on Splendor..Booked months ago. 
Hope you are happy. That’s what cruising is all about!

sheila

2 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

There are many problems with cruise line promotions these days. Not just Regent — not at all. RCCL is selling drink packages with a limit on drinks of $12. But some booked guests are looking at the drink menu and finding that drinks start at $13!  Celebrity is promoting “All Inclusive Always” until one reads the very fine print in the footnotes and finds that it is true only on certain room categories, on certain ships, on certain cruises. The FTC, which has authority over false abd misleading advertising, seems to be asleep.

We’ll Regent offers a two suite upgrade if you book early, but read the fine print and named suites is no.  Even the headline doesn’t have the * Just two suite upgrade for booking to Europe.

Edited by ronrick1943