Shout out to Windstar

wesport

10 hours ago, CanadianKate said:

Our first TA was NY to Southampton via Boston & Halifax and the Azores, then Cork. I was exhausted trying to do all the great ship stuff plus the 23 hour days. I swore I'd never to that again.

In 2019, I book the inaugural TA on the Breeze WB from Barcelona. Which was cancelled in December so we ended up on an EB from San Juan on the Legend. 

This sounds like an insult but really, I don't mean it that way... if you have to an EB ocean crossing, do it on Windstar because there isn't a lot of entertainment or enrichment on board. We had a lovely cruise, just drifting along. We can amuse ourselves visiting with others, reading, watching movies and eating. On the shorter days, we did just a bit less of that.

On our EB TA on another line, there were multiple lectures each day, and other activities that I didn't want to miss out on, then shows every evening that I didn't want to miss. So I was exhausted from FOMO.  There's not much to miss on Windstar, so it was perfect for me, a person who adores sea days and only tolerates port days. 

Hi Kate, we were on the Legend with you crossing from San Juan to Lisbon. We loved the days at sea uninterrupted by lectures, shows, etc. The food was great, crew excellent and we enjoyed the company of the 100 other cruisers onboard. We hope to repeat this on the new stretched Legend this Nov. from Lisbon to Barbados. Fingers crossed that this actually happens.

4 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

Fingers crossed that this actually happens.

Other friends have booked on several crossing since cancelled. We were intending to join them but never booked because we could see the writing on the wall. We did cancel the Feb 2021 cruise on the Windstar we had booked on board and took the refund of our deposit. 

Now, we wait and see what/when things will get back to normal. Our US friends are fully vaxxed but as Canadians, we are still in a waiting period. Given I can't go to a museum or movie, or indoor restaurant at this point, the idea of travel is so completely foreign to me, I will simply stay at home awaiting August and the cabin in the woods we have booked.  

On 6/17/2021 at 4:34 PM, avalong said:

Yes, the Marina and Riviera are big compared to Windstar's ships. We did a transatlantic on the Marina a few years ago so we know what to expect. We like Oceania but love Windstar. It's their small ships and super friendly crew. And of course the sailing ships just have that certain something....

Love Windstar.  Also, love Oceania…especially Marina and Riviera.  Those ships are gorgeous.  We also booked Rt Miami on Riviera in 2022.   Sailing from Miami is good.