Are private tour operators working for August of this year?

farodeluzgirl

Cruising August 14 on NCL Encore from Seattle. 
I will like to book tours with private operators rather than NCL. Is Alaska allowing private tour operators to do tours already?

we are doing Icy Strait, Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan.

any advice?

For a non-cruise trip to Ketchikan, Juneau, and Sitka in August, I've booked with private tour operators with no problems. Some of them had reduced the number of tours (e.g., only one or two per day instead of three), but on days ships are in they will likely be in full swing. One exception for August may be Gallant Adventures (Paul Davis) in Sitka; he was planning to end his season in July, but Sitka isn't in your itinerary. Only one that I was interested in planned not to operate at all.

46 minutes ago, farodeluzgirl said:

Thank you. Do you mind sharing how did you get the tour operators?

Mostly from reviews and recommendations in this forum! It might taking reading a lot of messages, including some long threads with comprehensive trip reports, but I think that this is best because you can read what others thought about them and get a sense, as well, of whether their priorities align with yours.

You can also search on Google or whatever site you use for "Juneau shore excursion," etc. TripAdvisor displays activities for each port and you can make bookings there, through an agency that has identical listings. Many of those listings can also be booked directly if you can figure out who the tour operator is. (Some people distrust TripAdvisor because, they say, reviews can be faked.)

There is one agency I've used that has listings with many operators in various Alaska ports. I don't think the rules allow me to name it, but it will come up on a search and has three obvious words in the name. My bookings through it were all for last year (cancelled) or this year (still in the future), so I can't give specific recommendations.

Edited by kochleffel

In order to help our OP I just bumped up a very helpful thread titled "2019 resources...." to page one.  A long time poster "mapleleaves" compiled a comprehensive list of websites.  Check the visitor bureau websites for your particular ports as many of these websites provide links to excursion vendors.

Alaska is ready to receive visitors.  I am not aware of any restrictions regarding private tours.  Where I live, in the Interior of Alaska, the visitor industry is reporting very strong bookings by independent travelers.

• Thanks 1

Hello from another Arizona resident looking to escape this dreadful heat! UGH!

We also try to book non-cruise excursions and have been in contact with independents in Juneau and Skagway (along with a flight-seeing company in Ketchikan.) We are sailing on the July 30th Celebrity Millennium departure. Since the board does not allow naming specific companies, please feel free to email me at sharonc61(at)yahoo(dot)com. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 6:22 PM, Northern Aurora said:

In order to help our OP I just bumped up a very helpful thread titled "2019 resources...." to page one.  A long time poster "mapleleaves" compiled a comprehensive list of websites.  Check the visitor bureau websites for your particular ports as many of these websites provide links to excursion vendors.

Alaska is ready to receive visitors.  I am not aware of any restrictions regarding private tours.  Where I live, in the Interior of Alaska, the visitor industry is reporting very strong bookings by independent travelers.

Thank you for bumping up the resource thread 🙂   We are booked for September 24th w/Celebrity....  I realize this is very late in the season, but they also have several cruises planned in October...  in your opinion, will things be open in late September?  Restaurants? Shops?  Ports of question are Ketchikan & Juneau...  DH will probably fish on these stops, & I'd like to do some solo hikes, some local jewelry shopping, & lunch in a cafe if they are open that time of year 🙂   Guess another good question:  are solo hikes safe in Ketchikan & Juneau...  For Juneau, I will rent a bike to get to Mendenhall Glacier, then hike,  Ketchikan, just follow one of the local trails... do I really need to worry about bears lol 😉