drink costs on Oceania

Trudyrand

29 minutes ago, Trudyrand said:

Thank you, cool cruiser 1985.  This is quite helpful in determining whether to get the premium package (or not).

In addition to the daily 2 for 1 Happy Hour that Gerry (mauibabes) noted, there is the captain's welcome party where drinks are free, and if you are a member of the loyalty club, there is usually another pre-dinner event with free drinks.

Trudyrand, I think you touched on something in you last comment, "premium package".  For my wife an occasional happy hour drink ("from the standard Bar List. It excludes the Martini’s menu, as well as single malt scotches, OXs, the cocktail of the day and the wine of the day") or glass of wine with dinner is all she wants. But if you'd prefer to "order whatever you like, including premium spirits, cocktails, champagne, wine and beer. You can order these by-the-glass from any bar, restaurant or with in-room dining during bar operating hours", then maybe the premium package is for you.  From your original question I get that cost is a factor, and I've personally not been able to justify the premium package based on cost per drink and the cost does add up on a longer cruise.  As my wife tells me, I don't spend much money on me so if I want an occasional indulgence do it. I don't ask twice.

14 minutes ago, EasyGoingGuy said:

Trudyrand, I think you touched on something in you last comment, "premium package".  For my wife an occasional happy hour drink ("from the standard Bar List, as well as single malt scotches, OXs, the cocktail of the day and the wine of the day") or glass of wine with dinner is all she wants. But if you'd prefer to "order whatever you like, including premium spirits, cocktails, champagne, wine and beer. You can order these by-the-glass from any bar, restaurant or with in-room dining during bar operating hours", then maybe the premium package is for you.  From your original question I get that cost is a factor, and I've personally not been able to justify the premium package based on cost per drink and the cost does add up on a longer cruise.  As my wife tells me, I don't spend much money on me so if I want an occasional indulgence do it. I don't ask twice.

I think the standard bar menu is available in Martini's during Happy Hour, just not Martini's special bar menu.  I'm not sure whether you meant this when you said: " It excludes the Martini’s menu."

But I agree, we've never been able to justify the cost of the premium package for our drinking style.  The Happy Hour hours work well for us for pre-dinner cocktails, and we only have the occasional glass of wine with dinner or the occasional beer at lunch.  And, of course, we attend all the freebie receptions 🍸😁🍸.

• Like 1

1985rz1...I just grabbed a couple of quotes from a search to kind of illustrate a point.  As I mentioned, my wife is happy with happy hour and the receptions.  For me, I do like the single malts, etc. and I like just having to show the card and not settling up at the end. And, it's unusual for me so it's fun once in a while.  And yes, I do attend the 'freebie' receptions and enjoy them too.

Edited by EasyGoingGuy
  • Like 1

I skimmed through the posts here and didn't see any mention that you can bring wine and spirits on board with you.  Yes, you need to consume them in your room, not in a bar.  If you bring your own wine to a restaurant, there will be a corkage charge.  That still makes the wine much less expensive than if you buy from the ship's list.  And if you don't finish the bottle, they will hold it for you and deliver it to you at another restaurant.

We have never bought the liquor package because DH drinks almost nothing, and I'm happy enough to have a cocktail in our room before dinner and then have wine in the restaurant.

And if you are in a suite, you can have dinner delivered from any venue, and then you can consume your own alcohol without a problem.

I know not everyone wants to do this, but it suits us very well.

Mura

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2021 at 8:59 PM, Mura said:

I skimmed through the posts here and didn't see any mention that you can bring wine and spirits on board with you. 

Wine shopping prior to embarkation is one of our favorite things to do. It was very easy last trip when we had a car and boarded in Marseille. (Every French supermarket is a treasure trove of wine!) Next trip kicks off in Istanbul... no car this time but we will be there for a few days before boarding... does anyone happen to have a good wine shop recommendation in Istanbul?

Thanks - or should I say "cheers!" 🍷🥂,

Clare

Hi Clare, I agree…we love to look for unusual or favorite wines in ports and 

bring them back to try in our cabin or while dinning.  Paying the corkage fee is just part of a new adventure.  We will also be in Istanbul before our cruise next  May so hope you get some great recommendations on wine stores.

Cheers for sure 🍷 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, itzfitz2 said:

This will be our first cruise on Oceania.  Question.  When is Happy Hour, what is offered?  What are the limitations, if any?

Thank you!

pre covid  it was  5-6 Pm  & 10:30-11-30 PM  in Some bars

2 for 1  .

XO & top scotches , drink of the day  not included

It will tell you  in the daily Currents what Bars  are included 

Older copies of the Currents from the Preismans blog  but gives you an idea

https://www.thepreismans.com/bermuda_regatta_dailies.htm#day3

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

pre covid  it was  5-6 Pm  & 10:30-11-30 PM  in Some bars

2 for 1  .

XO & top scotches , drink of the day  not included

It will tell you  in the daily Currents what Bars  are included 

Older copies of the Currents from the Preismans blog  but gives you an idea

https://www.thepreismans.com/bermuda_regatta_dailies.htm#day3

Thank you LHT28 for the info.  

On 6/22/2021 at 3:07 PM, Alwaysontime said:

Hi Clare, I agree…we love to look for unusual or favorite wines in ports and 

bring them back to try in our cabin or while dinning.  Paying the corkage fee is just part of a new adventure.  We will also be in Istanbul before our cruise next  May so hope you get some great recommendations on wine stores.

Cheers for sure 🍷 

I posted on an Istanbul forum and received several of recommendations. Many saying the best bet is to go to one of the bigger Migros supermarkets as they would have a wide and affordable selection. Other recommendations were La Cave on Sıraselviler and Sensus Boutique Wine Store right by the Galata Tower. Hope that helps! Enjoy your to trip in May - we will be there in October (if the universe aligns and by the grace of the travel gods...)

I'm sure this is somewhere on this thread but what is the maximum cost included with the Premium Pkg. per drink.  For example, on Celebrity their premium pkg. you can get any drink up to $15.  Does Oceania have a similar cap?

13 minutes ago, itzfitz2 said:

I'm sure this is somewhere on this thread but what is the maximum cost included with the Premium Pkg. per drink.  For example, on Celebrity their premium pkg. you can get any drink up to $15.  Does Oceania have a similar cap?

No

They may exclude some  beers, top shelf cognacs & scotches  but most everything is included

wine by the glass only no bottles 

If not sure just ask the bartender

1 hour ago, itzfitz2 said:

It doesn't really work that way. If it's on the Bar Menu it's included. Doubles are covered. There are some drinks that are not on the Bar Menu that are not covered that are cheaper than some that are covered. 

On 6/20/2021 at 6:09 AM, 1985rz1 said:

Here's a link to the bar menu (plus other menus), pre-COVID.  You need to add 18% gratuity to the listed prices.

https://www.thepreismans.com/marina19_menus.htm#Bar

Excuse the question as I come from a non tipping culture...   Why do you need to add on 18% if we have pre-paid gratuities??  It's all a bit confusing. 

Thanks 

To my knowledge, The bar servers are not covered in the Free Gratuities package distribution, they earn their individual gratuities and it is set at 18%. 
You mentioned you are from a no tipping culture, here is another shocker.  Even though you may have free gratuities, quite often guests give something extra to extra special staff. Butlers in the PH and above rooms, $23 per day per person is included in any Free Gratuities package. While it is a considerable tip, the Butlers are so good they will often earn additional tips from the vast majority of their guests. 
These are amazing, hard working people who deserve anything extra we can afford to give them.  IMHO.  

Gerry

9 hours ago, EmmaBeale said:

Excuse the question as I come from a non tipping culture...   Why do you need to add on 18% if we have pre-paid gratuities??  It's all a bit confusing. 

Thanks 

The Prepaid Gratuities  are for waitstaff & Housekeeping

Bar & spa  staff  are under a different program

No need to worry  it is added automatically  😉

Oceania is not a non tipping area 😃  ...you have heard the saying

"When in Rome"

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 7:19 PM, clairol said:

Next trip kicks off in Istanbul... no car this time but we will be there for a few days before boarding... does anyone happen to have a good wine shop recommendation in Istanbul?

Thanks - or should I say "cheers!" 🍷🥂,

Clare

https://culinarybackstreets.com/cities-category/istanbul/2018/grape-expectations/

• Like 1