Farewell to Captain Stubing

Enjoy the show then?  Yes!  Even now, when it is on Me TV, I try to watch it and still enjoy it.

A wonderfully well written tribute to the Captain and the entire crew of The Love Boat.  Thank you for doing this.

Interesting to see how the actors changed with time.  Ted Lange seems to have changed the least.  (Maybe it was because of all of those concoctions he was making  😀?) 

I knew that Mr. Grandy became a member of the House of Representatives for awhile, but I did not know of his previous work for a Congressman.  

The TV shows and performers of that era were so much more enjoyable for me than most of what I see on TV or in the movies today.  

R.I.P. Gavin MacLeod!  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Enjoy the show then?  Yes!  Even now, when it is on Me TV, I try to watch it and still enjoy it.

A wonderfully well written tribute to the Captain and the entire crew of The Love Boat.  Thank you for doing this.

Interesting to see how the actors changed with time.  Ted Lange seems to have changed the least.  (Maybe it was because of all of those concoctions he was making  😀?) 

I knew that Mr. Grandy became a member of the House of Representatives for awhile, but I did not know of his previous work for a Congressman.  

The TV shows and performers of that era were so much more enjoyable for me than most of what I see on TV or in the movies today.  

R.I.P. Gavin MacLeod!  

Thanks for your kind words. I also like to watch The Love Boat reruns when they are available. My grown-up kids don't understand why I like it so much. But the show is the reason why I fell in love with cruising before ever getting on a ship!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, commodoredave said:

But the show is the reason why I fell in love with cruising before ever getting on a ship!!

My initial interest was because of a visit aboard Queen Mary on sailing day before she sailed to Europe.  

My first brush with Gavin MacLeod was when I saw him on MacHale’s Navy.  How can we thank Gavin and the Love Boat crew?  They introduced millions to the joy of cruising.  Once the show became a hit millions of people started booking cruises and we old salts never looked back.  

• Like 3

Although most of it is filmed in the studio, it still brings back great memories when they show some of the onboard footage, especially from the Island/Pacific Princess.

Watched a show last night on the Sea Princess, which is a ship that P&O purchased after I left.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Although most of it is filmed in the studio, it still brings back great memories when they show some of the onboard footage, especially from the Island/Pacific Princess.

Watched a show last night on the Sea Princess, which is a ship that P&O purchased after I left.

LOL…we watched the same show.  Sea Princess was originally the Swedish American liner Kungsholm.  Talk about coincidence.  We were booked on the Kungsholm…France to New York in October 1975.  Kungsholm was on the last leg of a world cruise and I thought it would be fun to join her for the final leg.  We received a telegram in August announcing the closure of the Swedish American Line.  Sadly…we returned home on QE 2.  Another great line had bitten the dust and we were there to see it happen…so sad.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

LOL…we watched the same show.  Sea Princess was originally the Swedish American liner Kungsholm.  Talk about coincidence.  We were booked on the Kungsholm…France to New York in October 1975.  Kungsholm was on the last leg of a world cruise and I thought it would be fun to join her for the final leg.  We received a telegram in August announcing the closure of the Swedish American Line.  Sadly…we returned home on QE 2.  Another great line had bitten the dust and we were there to see it happen…so sad.

Never could understand why P&O cropped the fwd funnel on Kungsholm, always thought the ship looked more balanced in the original design.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Never could understand why P&O cropped the fwd funnel on Kungsholm, always thought the ship looked more balanced in the original design.

Agreed…even though the forward funnel was a dummy.  They made the aft funnel look like a dunce hat.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

We received a telegram in August announcing the closure of the Swedish American Line.

Swedish American Line didn't stay in business long enough for me to be a guest.  I visited Kungsholm on sailing day in New York as she began a North Cape Cruise.  Walking off that ship when the "Visitors all ashore" was announced was another one of my "I have to do this" moments.  (I did but on Royal Viking Sky since Swedish American Line didn't exist.)  

6 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The exterior profile of the Kungsholm was beautiful.  Sea Princess much less so, yet the Kungsholm original design could still be discerned.  

The Kungsholm's interior decor was Scandinavian modern (for the time), color palette was "quiet" and "refined".  It was elegant without feeling "stuffy".  

Just as what I experienced on Royal Viking Sky.  

• Like 1