Any advice appreciated on what to do in Boston (and Cape Cod)

ontheweb

On 8/13/2021 at 11:37 AM, Traveling Library said:

I spent my High School years in Reading PA. Not too far from Lancaster is the Ephrata Cloister which is worth a visit and kind-a sort-a on your way home.  Another interesting place is Hopewell Furnace National Historic Site in Elverson, PA. Maybe a bit too far afield but it is again sort-a kind-a on your way home.

Happy Anniversary!

We went to Sight and Sound Theater. Then DW was going to swim. The temperature all day was in the upper 80s and low 90s. But it was now raining and soon lightning. So we went to dinner. The weather cleared up and the pool was open until 9, so she swam.

She swam the next morning. Then we stopped at the Amish Village. It was worth the visit except if we had not spent about an hour there we would not have been held up by an accident on the way home. After going off and on 5 miles an hour, we came to a stop and realized that the ambulance that somehow was let through had a purpose.😒 We were totally stopped for awhile just before our next exit. It did give me some time to stretch. We left our hotel at a little after 10, and got home just short of 2:30. (It took us about 3 3/4 hours to get to Sound and Sight that was less than 1 mile from where we were staying.

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

So is Cat Mother and the All Night Newsboys. I think I got that right.🤣

Yes,I used to listen to them.Here are a few that perhaps you are not familiar with.All can be heard on YouTube:

Fried Rice and the White Guys

Turnpike Joe and The Traffic Jam

Electric Prunes

Elephants Memory

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Yes,I used to listen to them.Here are a few that perhaps you are not familiar with.All can be heard on YouTube:

Fried Rice and the White Guys

Turnpike Joe and The Traffic Jam

Electric Prunes

Elephants Memory

I think I have heard of Elephants Memory, but maybe I am confusing them with another group. Have not heard of the rest.

When DW and I got married, she was a big fan of Aztec Two Step. Have you heard of them?

19 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I think I have heard of Elephants Memory, but maybe I am confusing them with another group. Have not heard of the rest.

When DW and I got married, she was a big fan of Aztec Two Step. Have you heard of them?

They are celebrating 50 years this year.Neal Shulman and Rex Fowler formed the group.Neal is a distant cousin of a girl I knew in Elementary School.
Turnpike Joe and The Traffic Jam has been recording since 1977.

Fried Rice has been recording for about 20 years.

16 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

They are celebrating 50 years this year.Neal Shulman and Rex Fowler formed the group.Neal is a distant cousin of a girl I knew in Elementary School.
Turnpike Joe and The Traffic Jam has been recording since 1977.

Fried Rice has been recording for about 20 years.

You are a regular encyclopedia of rock and roll. Maybe you should write one.

Have you heard of Slam Allen, more a bluesman than a rocker really. He is from my hometown. For a long time he was featured on the NCL Epic. Unfortunately when we sailed on the Epic, he was on his 6 months off. I told him about that the next time we saw him. I also got him to autograph my copy of his first CD. Before he went solo he was the lead guitar and singer for the James Cotton Blues Band for several years.

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

You are a regular encyclopedia of rock and roll. Maybe you should write one.

Have you heard of Slam Allen, more a bluesman than a rocker really. He is from my hometown. For a long time he was featured on the NCL Epic. Unfortunately when we sailed on the Epic, he was on his 6 months off. I told him about that the next time we saw him. I also got him to autograph my copy of his first CD. Before he went solo he was the lead guitar and singer for the James Cotton Blues Band for several years.

I actually have heard of Slam Allen.I have known many singers and musicians over the past 60 years in various genres of music including Blues.

20 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I actually have heard of Slam Allen.I have known many singers and musicians over the past 60 years in various genres of music including Blues.

OK, since you seem to know everything about everybody, What is Slam's real given name?

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

OK, since you seem to know everything about everybody, What is Slam's real given name?

That I do not know but on a different subject I was posting back and forth to a guy on another CC thread and he knows the people I know who live in Hidden Ridge.

8 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

That I do not know but on a different subject I was posting back and forth to a guy on another CC thread and he knows the people I know who live in Hidden Ridge.

I will give you the answer---Harrison, Jr.

56 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I will give you the answer---Harrison, Jr.

I have a cousin who is a singer/actress.She released more than 20 albums and singles.She has been on Broadway and the West End in London and has appeared on more than 100 TV shows.However more people seem to know her as a cruise ship entertainer.

23 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have a cousin who is a singer/actress.She released more than 20 albums and singles.She has been on Broadway and the West End in London and has appeared on more than 100 TV shows.However more people seem to know her as a cruise ship entertainer.

I know someone who worked as a clown on Royal Caribbean ships.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

No on all accounts, It is a woman with a last name starting with Z. And that is my last word on this subject.

One of my nieces who went to college in Virginia has a friend from college who became a clown and was working on cruise ships.I thought perhaps it might be him.

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

All of us who love music should be in mourning. Don Everly, the last of the Everly Brothers, Phil and Don has passed away. The first rock and roll song I remember was Bird Dog by the Everly Brothers.

Don Everly of the Everly Brothers dies aged 84 in Nashville (msn.com)

Here is a much better article that speaks of their influence on other musicians.

Everly Brothers' Don Everly, Dies at 84, Was 'Major Influence' on Beatles (newsweek.com)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 9:51 AM, ontheweb said:

We've never really been to Boston being there once just to embark on a HAL cruise Boston to Montreal, and staying in Montreal a few days afterward.

We are now going to Boston for a few days. I know we will hit museums as DW is an art teacher. She also is a beach person and wants to spend one of our days in Cape Cod. Any suggestions are welcome especially any hidden gems. Has anyone used either of the Boston passes, and if so have they found them worthwhile. (She is disappointed that she has not found the Boston Museum of Fine Arts on either pass she found.)

Tons to do in Boston.  Some of the many things I recommend: Freedom Trail, Aquarium, Faneuil Hall, Boston Common, ect.  Cape Cod is about 90 minutes to the bridge and 2 hours to the beaches.  I would not go to the Cape for just the day, you'll spend most of your time in traffic.

10 hours ago, amberjohn said:

Tons to do in Boston.  Some of the many things I recommend: Freedom Trail, Aquarium, Faneuil Hall, Boston Common, ect.  Cape Cod is about 90 minutes to the bridge and 2 hours to the beaches.  I would not go to the Cape for just the day, you'll spend most of your time in traffic.

Thanks for the advice, but we went in July and it is now September.🤦‍♂️

9 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

No plans to do so, but if we did I would just reread for the umpteenth time all the wonderful advice in this thread.

My 17 year old granddaughter will be in the Boston area to look at colleges next month.My daughter and her husband will be there as well and want to see as much as possible of Boston.Therefore,I have been reading the posts on this thread.

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My 17 year old granddaughter will be in the Boston area to look at colleges next month.My daughter and her husband will be there as well and want to see as much as possible of Boston.Therefore,I have been reading the posts on this thread.

So let them read the posts. You do not have to be a member to just read the posts. Send them the link to the thread.