Costa Officially Allowing US Citizens...MSC Next, Please?!?

MajestyCat

I made a quick phone call to MSC yesterday afternoon about 5 o'clock. I asked the representative about the current restrictions in Europe allowing only Schengen-area residents (and a handful of other European countries). She said that MSC is telling them US passengers are welcome onboard as of July 15. I asked if it would be OK as a US resident to book for later this month and she said it should be fine, but that August might be safer. So it sure seems like European sailings are OK for US and other non-Schengen passengers starting later this week. 😃

15 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I made a quick phone call to MSC yesterday afternoon about 5 o'clock. I asked the representative about the current restrictions in Europe allowing only Schengen-area residents (and a handful of other European countries). She said that MSC is telling them US passengers are welcome onboard as of July 15. I asked if it would be OK as a US resident to book for later this month and she said it should be fine, but that August might be safer. So it sure seems like European sailings are OK for US and other non-Schengen passengers starting later this week. 😃

Hi

I would trust an MSC employee on the phone less than their website but remain hopeful that non Schengen will be allowed to sail from start of August.  I think if there was really a change for US residents in 2 days time it would be on the website.

I just  hope that they don't wait until 30th/31st July to make the official announcement on non-Schengen passengers.  From a UK perspective, we need Italy to raise it's 5 day quarantine rule for UK passengers ( the only main EU country that still has this type of restriction after Germany removed it last week) and for MSC to announce who can board after 1st August.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, doublebzz said:

I  booked yesterday for a September 18th cruise.  Can't believe they would accept my booking if there was any ban on U.S. citizens.

As of now there is no ban on non Europeans after 31 July 2021, so they will certainly accept your payment for a cruise in September 2021.

they also do not know if the ban will be extended into August and September 2021

But if the ban is extended up to September 2021, then they will cancel your particular booking and give you the option of a full refund or a FCC plus $200 onboard credit to book another Cruise sailing before 30 September 2022.

So there is no need to worry about anything.

In any case we all want to Cruise with MSC, if not now then next year; and we don't care for the tiny interest lost on the deposit.

Consider it a 50% return on investment in the form of onboard credit

Edited by drsel

5 minutes ago, drsel said:

As of now there is no ban on non Europeans after 31 July 2021, so they will certainly accept your payment for a cruise in September 2021.

they also do not know if the ban will be extended into August and September 2021

But if the ban is extended up to September 2021, then they will cancel your particular booking and give you the option of a full refund or a FCC plus $200 onboard credit to book another Cruise sailing before 30 September 2022.

So there is no need to worry about anything.

In any case we all want to Cruise with MSC, if not now then next year; and we don't care for the tiny interest lost on the deposit.

Consider it a 50% return on investment in the form of onboard credit

Thanks for very informative information.  I know I'm asking a lot but hope you will continue to update us as changes occur.  We also have round trip business class air to Spain.  I doubt that a cruise cancellation would be sufficient reason for the airlines to offer a refund.  There are worse things in the world than being stuck in Spain for an extra week, however.

My son and daughter-in-law (both US citizens) boarded the MSC Seaside this morning in Marseille. There was confusion with the port employees, but it was cleared up by an MSC employee 

6 hours ago, lax19 said:

My son and daughter-in-law (both US citizens) boarded the MSC Seaside this morning in Marseille. There was confusion with the port employees, but it was cleared up by an MSC employee 

Lovely,  I'm so happy for them!

1. Were they forced to buy the MSC Covid specific insurance in advance for $150 per person ?
2. Is it mandatory to buy for European sailings (even if fully vaccinated), without which one is denied boarding?
3. Is it available to buy on the spot, at the European  ports ?

Goodness!  Their website hasn't even been updated with that info ( I checked the USA version as well as the UK one).

I got fed up with the lack of clarity and decided to just drop MSC for the end of August and went with a UK based Anthem of the Seas cruise instead.  

8 hours ago, dritan said:

Goodness!  Their website hasn't even been updated with that info ( I checked the USA version as well as the UK one).

I got fed up with the lack of clarity and decided to just drop MSC for the end of August and went with a UK based Anthem of the Seas cruise instead.  

They just updated it https://www.msccruises.com/en-gl/Itinerary-Updates.aspx

So, as I understand the new regulations, U.S. citizens who are fully vaccinated need only undergo the Covid test at the pier before boarding.  No Covid insurance required and the only test is the one administered at the pier.  Of course, the country of entry, i.e. Italy or Spain, may require a Covid test within 72 hours of arrival.  This seems pretty clear but I'm open to correction if my understanding is false.

14 hours ago, drsel said:

Lovely,  I'm so happy for them!

1. Were they forced to buy the MSC Covid specific insurance in advance for $150 per person ?
2. Is it mandatory to buy for European sailings (even if fully vaccinated), without which one is denied boarding?
3. Is it available to buy on the spot, at the European  ports ?

No mandatory insurance requirement. They did have to get a Covid test prior to boarding. Both are fully vaccinated.

1 hour ago, Liviucostin said:

We will deny boarding in case of:

• Symptoms such as fever (>37,5 C C / 99.5 F), cough, shortness of breath, chills, muscle/body aches, fatigue, headache, sore throat and loss of taste/smell in the 14 days prior to embarkation

• Potential exposure to a suspected or confirmed case of COVID 19 in the 14 days prior to embarkation

• Temporary travel restrictions based on local circumstances. For example, certain countries may deny visas or prohibit entry based on travel history or nationality.

• Failure to provide the proof of the mandatory COVID-19 insurance policy (which must be in English, Italian, German, French or Spanish)

Just now, drsel said:

We will deny boarding in case of:

• Failure to provide the proof of the mandatory COVID-19 insurance policy (which must be in English, Italian, German, French or Spanish)

I think they deleted the part which says that it is mandatory to buy the MSC travel protection plan,   without which you will be denied boarding.

So can we purchase any travel insurance which specifically covers Covid?

It's still a bit confusing.  When making a booking for a EU sailing from the US it states:

Insurance

Protect your reservation by adding Travel Protection for all members of your traveling party. 

Cruises departing from US ports: Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19 is mandatory for guests 12 years and older who are not fully vaccinated or unable or unwilling to provide proof of vaccination. You must purchase the Travel Protection Plan prior to final payment. Once final payment has been made, guests will no longer be able to add insuranceYou will be denied boarding if you are not fully vaccinated, or unable or unwilling to show proof of vaccination, and you arrive to the pier without Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19.

Cruises departing from non-US ports: Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19 is mandatory for all guests 12 years and older who are both fully vaccinated and not fully vaccinated or unable or unwilling to provide proof of vaccination. You will be denied boarding if you arrive to the pier without Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVI-19.

So both a Travel Protection and COVID-19 protection policy is required for everyone sailing from non-US ports. But when you click on the insurance detail link it now takes you to:

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/-/media/usa/documents/insurance_final.pdf

The above page states the COVID-19 protection is free for vaccinated guests.  But I think that only applies to US sailings.  Non-US sailings have to have a Travel Protection plus COVID-19 plan.  MSC states theirs must be purchased before final payment.  A lot of US bookings have already passed final and were not offered the insurance.  The MSC US European sailings FAQ states you can purchase your own and specifies the coverage amounts seen below, but even if you purchase your own you still have to buy the MSC COVID-19 only  policy for $100 to $150 per person depending on cruise length.

i.thumb.jpg.d60283655fc0c8ad1ccddc71048e1a70.jpg

I made several bookings for EU sailings way before any of these insurance requirements were instituted and MSC never mentioned it right up to final payment.  Perhaps MSC didn't enforce the policy since it was pretty new.  Now that MSC seems settled on this policy we''ll have to see how many get notified or whether any bookings eventually get turned away due to lack of insurance.  I wouldn't try showing up without insurance next month.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Até said:

I made several bookings for EU sailings way before any of these insurance requirements were instituted and MSC never mentioned it right up to final payment.  Perhaps MSC didn't enforce the policy since it was pretty new.  Now that MSC seems settled on this policy we''ll have to see how many get notified or whether any bookings eventually get turned away due to lack of insurance.  I wouldn't try showing up without insurance next month.

I agree with you but how can we purchase this $150 insurance after making final payment?

1 hour ago, drsel said:

I agree with you but how can we purchase this $150 insurance after making final payment?

Yes, you can. We made final payment June 18 and our TA got the insurance for us from MSC today. Call your travel agent (or call MSC).

19 hours ago, Até said:

Thank you. I am glad I saw this thread and others on here like it. We now have insurance offered by MSC and it's great having that peace of mind.

On 7/20/2021 at 5:40 AM, Até said:

I have still NOT been notified by MSC or my TA about ANY insurance requirement.

My final payments have just been made in July,  90 days prior to my Oct 2021 cruises

13 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yes, you can. We made final payment June 18 and our TA got the insurance for us from MSC today. Call your travel agent (or call MSC).

How come you made final payment only 60 days prior to sailing.

MSC told me they cannot reduce it from 90 days prior to sailing, under any circumstances whatsoever.

From 89 days onwards, the deposit is liable to be forfeited (if you cancel or dont make final payment at all).

If you dont cancel or  still want to cruise--

then, for late final payment, every 15--30 days, the penalty goes up by 25% / 50% / 75% of the basic cruise fare

Edited by drsel

3 hours ago, drsel said:

How come you made final payment only 60 days prior to sailing.

MSC told me they cannot reduce it from 90 days prior to sailing, under any circumstances whatsoever.

From 89 days onwards, the deposit is liable to be forfeited (if you cancel or dont make final payment at all).

Final payment officially only varies by cruise length, for US bookings it's currently set at 60 days for up to four nights, 90 days for five to fourteen nights, 110 days for fifteen nights or more, and 120 days for the World Cruises.  But then I've seen some travel agent partners allowed to make exceptions in both directions.

MSC US tries to keep the deposit loss date the same as the final payment date, but it was not uncommon to have deposit loss and final payment be two different dates, particularly for Yacht Club bookings where the deposit loss date has strayed from the being the same as regular cabins to 120 days and now to immediately upon booking.