Apex B2B cruise - Israel cancelled - help with duplicate port options please!

ian441672

Hi

Since we cannot go to Israel on our B2B 24 July & 31 July on Celebrity Apex, we have a duplicate (more or less) second week. Struggling to find different or interesting tours to spread across the two weeks, and also trying to find different posts on different threads, I was wondering could anyone clarify what would we be able to do locally, either walking into town, or shuttle etc?

- Rhodes: can you walk into town / decent things to see/do locally (shops, cafe's, local sightseeing etc.)?

- Mykonos: looks like we are tendering; would this be to the new marine pier? If so, I understand there is a 20 minute shuttle bus to the town with quite a bit to see and do? Or even take a sea-bus? If this is not to the 'new pier', what are the options to get to town please?

-Limassol: We already have a Journey to Paphos tour booked. Is the town local near the dock, or not worth it - should we just stay on board that day?

Shame about Jerusalem, but we are lucky to have a SS at the very back of the ship, so with the extra time on board, at least we can enjoy the drinks package and exploring the ship!

Cruise ships dock right beside the Rhodes Old Town.  You can easily walk through the stone gates of Old Town and explore on foot.  You can easily spend a day here visiting shops, cafe's, the Palace of the Grandmaster, some ruins, museums, etc.  It's a very nice port for on-your-own sightseeing.  You could also invest in a tour/transportation to Lindos to see the Acropolis there.  It's quite interesting.  But you'll need about 1/2 day to do that.  If you're in port for a long day, Lindos and exploring Old Town is a nice combo.  But there's nothing wrong with just doing Old Town on its own.  You can also walk outside the Old Town gates to the newer section of the city to explore even more.  It's all quite walkable.

I believe when you tender in Mykonos, you are dropped off right in the heart of the town.  From there, everything is walkable.

18 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Cruise ships dock right beside the Rhodes Old Town.  You can easily walk through the stone gates of Old Town and explore on foot.  You can easily spend a day here visiting shops, cafe's, the Palace of the Grandmaster, some ruins, museums, etc.  It's a very nice port for on-your-own sightseeing.  You could also invest in a tour/transportation to Lindos to see the Acropolis there.  It's quite interesting.  But you'll need about 1/2 day to do that.  If you're in port for a long day, Lindos and exploring Old Town is a nice combo.  But there's nothing wrong with just doing Old Town on its own.  You can also walk outside the Old Town gates to the newer section of the city to explore even more.  It's all quite walkable.

I believe when you tender in Mykonos, you are dropped off right in the heart of the town.  From there, everything is walkable.

Oh great, thanks very much. Helpful information!

Thank you.

3 hours ago, ian441672 said:

- Rhodes: can you walk into town / decent things to see/do locally (shops, cafe's, local sightseeing etc.)?

Yes, it is quite easy as already mentioned. You can literally see the entrance to the old city from where they dock.  There is a Tourist Info kiosk that is not too far from that entrance -- I can't remember exactly where, but should be visible -- where you can pick up a map of the old center with the main points marked. I recommend the Grand Master's palace and also the archaeological museum which is the old hospital of the Knights. Both are very interesting, as is the "street of the knights".

- Mykonos: looks like we are tendering; would this be to the new marine pier? If so, I understand there is a 20 minute shuttle bus to the town with quite a bit to see and do? Or even take a sea-bus? If this is not to the 'new pier', what are the options to get to town please?

As mentioned, on Mykonos, if you tender they will take you right into town. If you, you are at the pier and I would recommend taking either the shuttle or the sea-bus (slight charges for each). It's a long, hot, dusty walk otherwise...  In town it's fun to wander the crooked streets, see the windmills, fishing boats, etc. and maybe have a nice glass of wine or beer and people watch (or watch the ocean).

-Limassol: We already have a Journey to Paphos tour booked. Is the town local near the dock, or not worth it - should we just stay on board that day?

The town of Limassol is accessible from the port but it is really not worth it. It has a downtrodden air and not much to see "in town".  If you go to Paphos on the first leg (which you definitely should!) consider a different type of tour on the second leg -- maybe one that goes into some of the smaller and more rural villages or mountains. Or even a half-day one that visits Kourion (Curium) ruins and Kolossi castle remains.

13 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yes, it is quite easy as already mentioned. You can literally see the entrance to the old city from where they dock.  There is a Tourist Info kiosk that is not too far from that entrance -- I can't remember exactly where, but should be visible -- where you can pick up a map of the old center with the main points marked. I recommend the Grand Master's palace and also the archaeological museum which is the old hospital of the Knights. Both are very interesting, as is the "street of the knights".

As mentioned, on Mykonos, if you tender they will take you right into town. If you, you are at the pier and I would recommend taking either the shuttle or the sea-bus (slight charges for each). It's a long, hot, dusty walk otherwise...  In town it's fun to wander the crooked streets, see the windmills, fishing boats, etc. and maybe have a nice glass of wine or beer and people watch (or watch the ocean).

The town of Limassol is accessible from the port but it is really not worth it. It has a downtrodden air and not much to see "in town".  If you go to Paphos on the first leg (which you definitely should!) consider a different type of tour on the second leg -- maybe one that goes into some of the smaller and more rural villages or mountains. Or even a half-day one that visits Kourion (Curium) ruins and Kolossi castle remains.

Brilliant, thank you. Some very useful tips there, appreciate it.