Helicopter Glacier Walk Excursion in Alaska ???

debnrick

Hoping someone can answer these questions.

This excursion lands a helicopter on the glacier and then leaves while you take your guided walk. Anyone ever concerned about being ‘left’ on the glacier and watching your ride take off and leave …. LOL … ?

There is a weigh-in once you arrive. Does the weight limit INCLUDE your coats, boots, etc.? My husband is close to the weight limit (and being mindful of all the food consumed and weight gain while on the cruise of course) and adding the extra weight of those items will surely raise concern. Do you get money refunded if you get there and do not pass?

Thanks for your help. I’m a tad bit leery of this excursion … not a big thrill seeker. 

Happy Sailing. 

40 minutes ago, debnrick said:

This excursion lands a helicopter on the glacier and then leaves while you take your guided walk. Anyone ever concerned about being ‘left’ on the glacier and watching your ride take off and leave …. LOL … ?

There is a weigh-in once you arrive. Does the weight limit INCLUDE your coats, boots, etc.? My husband is close to the weight limit (and being mindful of all the food consumed and weight gain while on the cruise of course) and adding the extra weight of those items will surely raise concern. Do you get money refunded if you get there and do not pass?

Thanks for your help. I’m a tad bit leery of this excursion … not a big thrill seeker. 

Happy Sailing. 

We did a dog sledding excursion on a glacier in Alaska. The helicopter did not wait for us and we did not have any concerns about being left on a glacier. Our excursion was reserved through the cruise line. 

Weight limit for our excursion included any extra clothing being worn and no refunds would be provided for being involuntarily denied boarding due to the weight limits (or at least, per the fine print on Princess).

I walked outside the port and bought tickets to be taken to and from the glacier. Budget lol. It poured rain .. I mean poured. I did walk to the waterfall where I could see those up on the glacier. Looked nice, but wouldnt have wanted to fly in the rain.

I think tickets were 9 each way, I dont remember, but I got to spend as much time as I wanted walking around. Those with carnival has a hour or so .. I wouldnt have made it to the waterfall if I paid to go with carnival.

4 hours ago, debnrick said:

Happy Sailing. 

Several years ago Juneau had a heavy fog move over the city and the planes and helicopters could not fly to retrieve 43 excursion passengers from the glacier walks, mushers camp, and Taku Lodge.  Those on the glacier spent the night on the glacier in the emergency tent. Passengers at Taku Lodge stayed in one of the lodge buildings.  Those at the the mushers camp were retrieved by car and stayed at a hotel in town.  Our ship had to leave Juneau without 26 of our our passengers to catch the tide.

Passengers from another HAL ship were flown by charter aircraft to their next port at HAL expense.  The nine passengers on private excursions had to find their own way to their next port.

Our 26 passengers arrived by Allen Marine charter the next day as we were leaving Glacier Bay.  Listening to all of their stories showed they loved the extra time on the glacier and special tour of Glacier Bay to catch up with us.  I heard a few singing the theme from Gilligan's Island TV show.

Watching the helicopters fly away now has a new meaning to me BUT I know that contingency plans/facilities are in place to get you back to the ship.  Keep any needed meds with you when fog/weather could ground your excursion.  Put a few granola bars in your pockets for snacks. 

I would not hesitate to take any flying excursions as the rewards are great.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/mendenhall-glacier-walk/P7070075.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/mendenhall-glacier-walk/P7070072.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/mendenhall-glacier-walk/P7070057.jpg

• Like 1

There is a weigh limit. If you are over weigh, you have to pay an extra fee. They weigh you when you arrive. This is to determine, what the total weigh of passengers will be. You may not sit with your partner, as the weigh determines your placement inside the helicopter. If you are over the limit, you pay the extra fee and you are tallied as two people.

46 minutes ago, cruisegus said:

roughly how many passengers in a helicopter?

5  with one lucky person getting a front row seat.  I spent 24 years in the Ordnance Corps and had to comment on your avatar.

19 minutes ago, Crew News said:

5  with one lucky person getting a front row seat.  I spent 24 years in the Ordnance Corps and had to comment on your avatar.

thanks, 5 that's about what i see in the u tube videos also

spent 3 years active duty, then 33 more as a civilian at one of the 2 army owned Arsenals, starting as a journeyman machinist and finally managing the majority of production on the 105 howitzer.

Edited by cruisegus

1 hour ago, cruisegus said:

thanks, 5 that's about what i see in the u tube videos also

spent 3 years active duty, then 33 more as a civilian at one of the 2 army owned Arsenals, starting as a journeyman machinist and finally managing the majority of production on the 105 howitzer.

If you are unlucky to get one of the center seats, taking photos will be nearly impossible with all of the gear in front of you.  FWIW all of the excursion helicopters i have seen in Alaska are the same seating which includes flying to the dog-sledding camps in Juneau and Skagway.

First Ordnance Corps CC member I have encountered. Just proves a small world.  All of my time was in the ammo field for me.  Retired at Picatinny Arsenal.

14 minutes ago, Crew News said:

If you are unlucky to get one of the center seats, taking photos will be nearly impossible with all of the gear in front of you.  FWIW all of the excursion helicopters i have seen in Alaska are the same seating which includes flying to the dog-sledding camps in Juneau and Skagway.

First Ordnance Corps CC member I have encountered. Just proves a small world.  All of my time was in the ammo field for me.  Retired at Picatinny Arsenal.

maybe i should have said manufacturing Arsenals.

Was to Picatinny Arsenal once towards the end of my career, was just a quick meeting on the LMP system the Army now uses.

hope you enjoyed your work life as much as i enjoyed mine.  now i just want to cruise.

how is retirement in the NM area treating you hit me at hotmail if you like

49 minutes ago, cruisegus said:

maybe i should have said manufacturing Arsenals.

Was to Picatinny Arsenal once towards the end of my career, was just a quick meeting on the LMP system the Army now uses.

hope you enjoyed your work life as much as i enjoyed mine.  now i just want to cruise.

how is retirement in the NM area treating you hit me at hotmail if you like

Work life and second career was a treat.  Cruising satisfies my love of adventure and provides amazing photo opportunities. 

Email sent.

So if you know ahead of time you are over the weight limit is there a way to indicate that.  Seems like that would be helpful to tour operators.  Tall DH with dad bod.  Too bad we can't weigh as a family as my slender teens are far under the weight.😃

7 minutes ago, gloobella said:

So if you know ahead of time you are over the weight limit is there a way to indicate that.  Seems like that would be helpful to tour operators.  Tall DH with dad bod.  Too bad we can't weigh as a family as my slender teens are far under the weight.😃

If you are purchasing a HAL excursion, you will enter your weight as part of the purchase process for each passenger.