LIVE - Adventure of the Seas - July 17, 2021

7 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Her email will only assist you if you are in a Grand Suite or above. She is the suite concierge. 

Oh, o.k. Guess I need to upgrade, lol. JK. You wouldn't happen to have a poc at Royal that could change my dining time?

I know I had originally selected MyTime dining but for some reason, RCi gave me 5:30 pm.

Edited by MorganClark

5 minutes ago, MorganClark said:

Oh, o.k. Guess I need to upgrade, lol. JK. You wouldn't happen to have a poc at Royal that could change my dining time?

I know I had originally selected MyTime dining but for some reason, RCi gave me 5:30 pm.

I would try to change it the minute you board. We all have the unlimited dining package which helps. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2021 at 9:39 AM, GA Dave said:

I was watching The Weather Channel this morning and they said there is a large dust patch in the atmosphere to the east of the Caribbean that is blocking any storms from Africa from developing in the western Atlantic.  So, good news for anyone cruising right now!

Hey @GA Dave, if you don't mind, would you shoot me an e-mail at martycp60@gmail.com? I have something to ask you off line. Thanks.

@HBCcruiser @ChiefMateJRK

Earlier, I walked down W. Bay Street to find a bank with an ATM. Man, these crazy Bahamian truck drivers almost killed me! 1. you have to remember that they drive on the left side of the road/street here in the Bahamas (like the U.K.). 2. Sidewalks are horrible here in Nassau. Sidewalks only on one side of the street and sometimes there is a car parked on the sidewalk blocking your way. 3. Sidewalks are narrow and uneven. Tripping hazards. 4. finally, the Bahamian dump truck and semi drivers are flat out crazy man. In a congested downtown Nassau, these guys are flying down the street at about 60 mph (whenever they could). One blew by me at 60 mph (seemed like anway) and I was on a narrow sidewalk right next to the street. The trailing wind blew from this large speeding dump truck kicked up dirt/sand right in my eye.

Anyway, I was successful finding an ATM. First, I walked to the Hilton but the receptionist said the ATM was broke. Btw, I had forgotten my mask in my hotel room and the parking attendant at the Hilton (and the receptonist) as me to put my mask on. I told them I forgot it in my hotel room but that I was fully vaccinated. The parking attendant looked at me like I had the plague or something, lol. What was she going to do, give me a parking ticket, lol? On the street, I saw numerous folks walking down the sidewalk without masks, so I wasn't the only one. My recommendation to all coming here (Nassau) is to at least have your mask with you when you leave your hotel. It was inside the Hilton where I got challenged so, if you're just carrying your mask and put it on when you go inside buildings, you'll be fine.

Man, it's humid (and very warm) here in Nassau. On my walk, I was sweating my _____ <- (fill in the blank) off! And I used to live in Miami, Fla. You'd think I'd be used to it. But, I've adapted to those low humidity, just warm & sunny summer days up in Michigan now, lol.

I have some pictures I took on my walk. I'll try and post them here next (if I can do it from my phone).

Edited by MorganClark
  • Like 2

I think I figured out to link pics from my phone. Here are the pics I took on my walk through downtown Nassau. Anyone recognize this place? Like I never left the USA;

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/eoCiFiaQBmZA

@HBCcruiser, here is the lobby in your hotel (colonial Hilton). This is where the receptionist & the parking attendant mask shamed me (lol);;

The front of the Hilton;

This is Margaritaville Beach resort. Only $393 per night. For my 3 day post-cruise stay, it would only cost me $1,650. No thank you; that's another cruise man!;

This is Junkanoo Beach;

My hotel has it's own beach. I'm going to hang here and turn into a Bahamian lobster;

Btw - the local beers here are; Kalik and Sands. I haven't tried either (yet).

EDITORIAL NOTE: For some reason, I keep getting the same pic (McDonald's) posted over & over, even though I'm clicking on a new pic. *****? I'll keep working on getting the other pics posted. I left the intros in for each pic so at least you'll know what the pic is of.  Wonky phone.

Edited by MorganClark
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, MorganClark said:

EDITORIAL NOTE: For some reason, I keep getting the same pic (McDonald's) posted over & over, even though I'm clicking on a new pic. *****? I'll keep working on getting the other pics posted. I left the intros in for each pic so at least you'll know what the pic is of.  Wonky phone.

You should be able to upload photos from your phone. Use the CC website.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HBCcruiser said:

You should be able to upload photos from your phone. Use the CC website.

O.k.  I will try that (a little later). Let's see if I can figure it out. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile, right?  It's beach time now! I was able to buy a tube of sunscreen (from the hotel next door - Courtyard by Marriott), so I won't turn into a Bahamian lobster. 

I'll start out at Holiday Inn Express's beach then walk down the beach toward the heart of downtown 'cause I thought I saw a beach bar on my walk back from the ATM.

• Like 1

I STILL do not have my covid test results!! CVS probably lost my test. I can picture it behind the desk that it fell behind gathering dust as we speak. Seriously. 🙄

This morning I called and finally got in touch with one of the RNs who supposedly put an expedited tag on my test. Still nothing though.

I was also able to take a PCR test at work. My only hope is I get the results in time. Question - when MUST I show the results? What happens if I don’t get the results back in time? So damn frustrating. I should have gone for a higher end testing service. Worth the fee IMO. 

You can call me the Queen of Murphy’s  Law. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

I STILL do not have my covid test results!! CVS probably lost my test. I can picture it behind the desk that it fell behind gathering dust as we speak. Seriously. 🙄

This morning I called and finally got in touch with one of the RNs who supposedly put an expedited tag on my test. Still nothing though.

I was also able to take a PCR test at work. My only hope is I get the results in time. Question - when MUST I show the results? What happens if I don’t get the results back in time? So damn frustrating. I should have gone for a higher end testing service. Worth the fee IMO. 

You can call me the Queen of Murphy’s  Law. 

So sorry to hear what you're going through getting your covid pcr test result. I'm praying for you to get that result tomorrow! 🙏

• Like 1

O.k., now I've literally seen it all. On the beach earlier today, I was out in the water (beautiful water btw; so clear and was aqua, blue & light blue) about shoulder deep when a girl (about late 20's or early 30's) came along, running on the beach. She wasn't just running. First, let me tell you that she was wearing a sport top with a bikini bottom. She was very muscular and very tan. While she was "jogging" down the beach, she was shadow boxing. She was throwing left & right jabs, upper-cuts & hooks. And, she was going back & forth on the beach dodging, ducking and weaving (like she was in an actual MMA match). Plus, she had ear buds in and holding a cell phone (probably rocking the Rocky theme, lol). So, here I am, out in the water watching her in amazement thinking to myself; "is this really hapoening?". It was like dinner with a show but it was swimming with a show, lol. I was afraid to get out of the water because she might kick my a_ _! (don't look her in the eye). Then there was the local Bahamian dude up by the bar (the "Tiki Bikini", lol) who was mimicking her every move and shouting at her. Again, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over? (Lol). And for icing on the cake, I look to the left down the beach a bit and there was this girl straddling this guy and I won't tell you what they were doing (they had their bathing suits on, thank goodness). Mind you, this is all going on at the same time! Only in the Bahamas, lol. So, not a dull moment here in Nassau and I just got here! I can't wait and see what tomorrow brings, lol.

Edited by MorganClark
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, MorganClark said:

O.k., now I've literally seen it all. On the beach earlier today, I was out in the water (beautiful water btw; so clear and was aqua, blue & light blue) about shoulder deep when a girl (about late 20's or early 30's) came along, running on the beach. She wasn't just running. First, let me tell you that she was wearing a sport top with a bikini bottom. She was very muscular and very tan. While she was "jogging" down the beach, she was shadow boxing. She was throwing left & right jabs, upper-cuts & hooks. And, she was going back & forth on the beach dodging, ducking and weaving (like she was in an actual MMA match). Plus, she had ear buds in and holding a cell phone (probably rocking the Rocky theme, lol). So, here I am, out in the water watching her in amazement thinking to myself; "is this really hapoening?". It was like dinner with a show but it was swimming with a show, lol. I was afraid to get out of the water because she might kick my a_ _! (don't look her in the eye). Then there was the local Bahamian dude up by the bar (the "Tiki Bikini", lol) who was mimicking her every move and shouting at her. Again, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over? (Lol). And for icing on the cake, I look to the left down the beach a bit and there was this girl straddling this guy and I won't tell you what they were doing (they had their bathing suits on, thank goodness). Mind you, this is all going on at the same time! Only in the Bahamas, lol. So, not a dull moment here in Nassau and I just got here! I can't wait and see what tomorrow brings, lol.

Sounds like you're having a great time! I'm going solo on Adventure in a few weeks, so I'll be following your adventures all week. 

Further up I saw you were with USCG. I've done some work with them. Gotta love the Coasties! I need to up my TSP contributions so I can do B2B2B2B2B cruises when I retire! 

• Like 1

STATUS REPORT: currently at the "Green Parrot" having a "Bahama Mama". (or 2 or 3, rinse & repeat), of course! 

Btw; I took the "bullet" for the team (us). At the "Tiki Bikini" beach bar, I mistakenly mispronounced the local beer Kalik. I pronounced it, "Kay-lick". It's actually pronounced " Kah- lick". The beer label has a depiction of two hands raised up and ringing 2 cow bells. The waiter informed me that the beer "Kah-lick" was named after the sound a ringing cow bell makes. And, sure enough, the bar tenders at the " Tiki Bikini" regularly rang a cow bell. It all makes so much sense now. So, when you guys arrive here in Nassau and order the local beer Kalik, be sure to pronounce it "Kah-lick". Your welcome.

Edited by MorganClark
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, natefish95 said:

Sounds like you're having a great time! I'm going solo on Adventure in a few weeks, so I'll be following your adventures all week. 

Further up I saw you were with USCG. I've done some work with them. Gotta love the Coasties! I need to up my TSP contributions so I can do B2B2B2B2B cruises when I retire! 

I am having a great time and I just got here! The local Bahamian people are VERY friendly (& nice). Even the "street hustlers" trying to sell you something aren't bad at all (unlike Jamaica). All I've had to say is "no thank you" and they go on their merry way.

Yes, I'm a Coastie (retired). Semper Paratus! Yeah, do what you can with the TSP because it pays off when you retire. A 100% Gov't match is nothing to "sneeze at". Too bad you're not on our cruise. You sound like a "cool dude". And, I could always use another solo friend. Stay in touch (by continuing to post here).

Edited by MorganClark
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MorganClark said:

I am having a great time and I just got here! The local Bahamian people are VERY friendly (& nice). Even the "street hustlers" trying to sell you something aren't bad at all (unlike Jamaica). All I've had to say is "no thank you" and they go on their merry way.

Yes, I'm a Coastie (retired). Semper Paratus! Yeah, do what you can with the TSP because it pays off when you retire. A 100% Gov't match is nothing to "sneeze at". Too bad you're not on our cruise. You sound like a "cool dude". And, I could always use another solo friend. Stay in touch (by continuing to post here).

I like to think I'm pretty cool haha. I'm hoping I can find some cool drinking buddies on the ship.

In addition to Adventure, I have two more planned so feel free to jump onboard! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, natefish95 said:

I like to think I'm pretty cool haha. I'm hoping I can find some cool drinking buddies on the ship.

In addition to Adventure, I have two more planned so feel free to jump onboard! 

Only 2 more planned? <- JK  I'm booked into 2023. Just ask @HBCcruiserhow many cruises I have booked. Ah, the joy of being retired and having all kinds of time on your hands. You'll get there.

I've got some more pics (besides the pic of McDonald's, lol) I want to post. But I have to figure out how to out smart my wonky phone. Wait to you see the pic of our ship's (Adventure OTS) bigger sister that was docked in Nassau today. Can you guess which RCI ship it was? I'll buy the first person who gets it right (who's on this cruise) a beer!

STATUS REPORT: Man, when I first got here (The Green Parrot), the bar was packed. Not a bar stool to be found. Now, the bar is almost vacant. It was the same story at the beach today (except it wasn't packed. Just "some" people when I first got there). Then, towards the end of my beach day, it was just me (in shoulder deep water) and the crazy, tanned & muscular female MMA fighter. I didn't want to get out of the water, man! (Be afraid, be very afraid). I wish I would've video recorded her but she would've kicked my a_ _. Only in the Bahamas!

Edited by MorganClark

24 minutes ago, MorganClark said:

I've got some more pics (besides the pic of McDonald's, lol) I want to post. But I have to figure out how to out smart my wonky phone. Wait to you see the pic of our ship's (Adventure OTS) bigger sister that was docked in Nassau today. Can you guess which RCI ship it was? I'll buy the first person who gets it right (who's on this cruise) a beer!

Freedom?

• Like 2